Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

2017 Anthem Dash A/C Freon Leak

Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving! Our coach dash A/C is leaking the refrigerant. Iíve taken it to Cummins on two different occasions without success. The first time they put dye in the system and used a snifter around all the connections. The coolant leaked out once home in about 2 days. This was last fall.

Took it back this spring prior to our summer trip and they basically repeated the above with a different tech. However he could not find the leak either.

They think the leak must be in the line running down the frame rail. Entegra says itís a one piece line from compressor to the dash so I donít see how it developed a leak.

Wondering if anyone here has experienced anything similar?
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Here are numerous post regarding the subject. The most common reason found is the hose connection at the compressor. Nowabeachbum, the forum expert having retired from the profession found the leaks at the same spot on his Entegra.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ente...earch=irv2.com
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #3

Based on receipts from the PO,mine leaked at the compressor fitting it was cut off and new one installed, that didn't work long, a new hose was installed full length, old one is still in there cut off, was not cheap, AC is working I have not had to run the house AC traveling even Florida last July
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #4

Dash AC failures are a VERY COMMON problem! The compressor is in the rear and the dash area is 45' away from the compressor. Leaks are common on both the high and low pressure fittings on the compressor end and again on the evaporator end, and all points in between. I had multiple dash AC problems with my 15 Anthem and now my 19 Cornerstone and for the past year, I have officially given up and been running the Onan generator during the summer trips that we have made and the generator ran to power the roof AC units. And I have a small fan that sits beside me while driving and blows air directly onto me.

Finding the problem and getting it resolved is a mess. I have paid NIRVC to fix my dash AC unit and Entegra has attempted to fix it in Middlebury at least once. The last fix was a year ago at NIRVC and the fix lasted about 4 months. I'm going to give it one more try but am not optimistic that the problem will be resolved. There are simply too many connections and too many feet of high pressure rubber hose for this logic to work worth a damn, in my opinion. Its just a bad design!

Now, specifically for you, yes, the rubber hose line could be rubbing against something that has produced a leak. It sounds like your leak is a pretty large one since it lost freon so fast. I would think that a good AC shop should be able to pressurize each side of that long rubber line and see if it loses pressure over an hour or two period of time. They should be able to locate where the leak is. I have seen owners post that they had one of the lines from front to back replaced so it can be done, or bypassed completely.

Word on the street is that there is a group looking at the possibility of a completely self-contained (DC electric motor driven compressor) dash AC unit that would be located completely in the dash area with no long runs to the engine compartment, which sounds like a perfectly logical idea.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The most common reason found is the hose connection at the compressor.
That's where mine was leaking on my '18 Anthem. In my case, it wasn't too difficult to locate; the accumulated dust attracted to the compressor oil that had been expelled at the leak site was pretty obvious.

Still, it requires evacuating and purging after repairing the crimped hose connection before refilling. Several hours of labor and associated parts. IIRC, NIRVC Lawrenceville held my coach hostage until I paid ~$700 ransom.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-26-2021, 05:44 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Word on the street is that there is a group looking at the possibility of a completely self-contained (DC electric motor driven compressor) dash AC unit that would be located completely in the dash area with no long runs to the engine compartment, which sounds like a perfectly logical idea.

Gary
Tesla, and others, have found a satisfactory way to provide conditioned air without using a belt driven compressor attached to an internal combustion engine. You'd think that our coaches would have enough electricity to do something similar.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Finding the problem and getting it resolved is a mess. I have paid NIRVC to fix my dash AC unit and Entegra has attempted to fix it in Middlebury at least once. The last fix was a year ago at NIRVC and the fix lasted about 4 months. I'm going to give it one more try but am not optimistic that the problem will be resolved. There are simply too many connections and too many feet of high pressure rubber hose for this logic to work worth a damn, in my opinion. Itís just a bad design!
Our experience with the dash AC on our 2018 Cornerstone is similar to Garyís, except I havenít paid anyone to attempt a resolution. Instead I just add a can of refrigerant whenever the dash air is no longer cold. Not great for the environment, but I can add a whole lot of five dollar cans of refrigerant for what it would cost to allow any shop to ATTEMPT to fix it.

This situation is one of the reasons our next coach just might be a front-engine Super C.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:04 AM   #8

Larry

I've got two artificial knees and if I could get my hands/arms up to the freon inlet fittings in the front generator opening, believe me, I would have done it long ago and the change in my wallet would have me in freon for many years, but my body or my knees or the whole combination just will not let my hands get to the freon inlet valves....

Hmmmmmm, Maybe I could swing past your place in Arizona when I am out in Arizona this winter, and your apparently muscled and healthy knees can contort themselves up into my generator compartment. I could just be talked into giving you the bottle of expensive scotch that you were talking about in another thread for you to do the job.... I sure as hell can't.... damn old age and artificial knees.... ..

Gary
Old 11-27-2021, 01:07 AM   #9

Larry ................ DONT DO IT !!!!!! A SUJPER C ??!!??

AAAARRRRRRGGGGHJHJHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh !

Good grief....... not THAT

Gary
Old 11-27-2021, 06:19 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, see if an AC shop can make you and extension hose. Might be a lot cheaper than attempted shop repairs. Never mind Amazon sells them. Check as see if it can be left attached. https://www.amazon.com/R134a-Auto-Ch.../dp/B07TC43S7S
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:03 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
2017 Anthem Dash A/C Freon Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Chris View Post
Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving! Our coach dash A/C is leaking the refrigerant. Iíve taken it to Cummins on two different occasions without success. The first time they put dye in the system and used a snifter around all the connections. The coolant leaked out once home in about 2 days. This was last fall.

Took it back this spring prior to our summer trip and they basically repeated the above with a different tech. However he could not find the leak either.

They think the leak must be in the line running down the frame rail. Entegra says itís a one piece line from compressor to the dash so I donít see how it developed a leak.

Wondering if anyone here has experienced anything similar?

Since youíve made it this far without a leak, it probably developed from stress on a fitting. Like virtually everyone else, I would check the high side fitting on the compressor. If they put dye in the system, the leak is easy to find with a uv light. The last place I would look is the hoses. They just donít fail! But even if one did you will find it with a uv light also.
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #12

I have seen several posts about welding damage to the long hose during construction of the coach. I would guess that can be very difficult to find due to lack of access.

Best of luck. I would just refill the Freon when the air gets warm. My two cents. Itís very time consuming finding the issue unless itís simply the connection at the compressor or condenser.

Tor
737 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #13

Thanks guys, thatís disappointing to hear of so many issues with this. Can someone provide me with more details on how and where to replace the Freon? A picture would be great if someone has the time. Thank you all
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #14

I've had a conversation with a fellow in the business that says that the self contained AC unit that reside in the dash area only with no connection to a rear engine compressor are moving forward and are being road tested now.

That seems like the right logic to me. We have had self contained window air conditioner unit for smaller or older houses for decades at this point that run by electrical current, so I don't see why we must have ours driven by a 450 or 605 horse diesel engine, but we shall see what happens.

Maybe I'll sit in front of the open generator area for a half hour and some strategy will pop into mind that will get me closer to the AC freon fittings will come to me. I have thought of the forks on a fork lift that maybe I could lay on and have Dee drive me into the generator compartment (but she's not that good with driving....) , or that I might go to some store and try to lure some young 18 year old with good knees to come to my house and connect freon for me for $20, but I have been a little leery of the police. -- --

GARY

Tags
anthem, dash, leak