Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 12:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Yes that is correct. The plastic spout at the end of the gutter is somewhat in the way, especially when sliding in the new topper. For mine it had enough flexibility so I just kinda held it out of the way. It also helps a lot to slightly "curl" the opening at the end of the aluminum track with a pair of needle nose pliers and file off any sharp points, especially if your doing it by yourself.

Spray silicone in the track and slick up the hem of the new topper with 303, makes it slide fairly easy in the track.

Note the spring is always on the right end of the topper roller as you face it. So on the DS the springs are on the aft end, on the PS the springs are on the fwd end. Super long toppers (over 200" i think??) may have two springs, but mine didn't and I don't think any of the Entegras have two except possibly those rare models with a full wall slide.

There's a video at Tough Top specific to the Carefree Ascent which shows how to pin the spring, etc.

I did mine by myself and found working on the roof to be easiest for me. After pinning the spring and removing the end cap. You can remove the entire roller with fabric attached and fold it up onto the roof. From the roof you can now easily slide the roller off the fabric and just let it rest on the roof. Now you can slide the old fabric out of the gutter track.

Reverse the process to reinstall. The hardest part is sliding the new fabric into the gutter track if you don't have someone to help either guide it or pull it. I found stepping out onto the slide roof to be helpful to get leverage, just be gentle.

Once that's done tho its fairly easy to handle even the longest roller with it up on the roof and slide it onto the new fabric. On the longest slide (195") when putting the roller with new fabric attached back into the cassette, I found removing the other end cap helped me get the roller tube centered properly.

Watch out for the screws from the bracket as they extend into the cassette and rough handling could possibly do some damage to the new topper fabric.

Also, tighten all the bracket screws where they attach to the coach. Every single one of mine was a turn or so loose.

The photo shows the front PS old topper flipped up onto the roof and the roller tube removed. The topper was held stationary and roller tube pushed aft to remove it. The orange tool on the forward end of the roller is the pick used to pin the spring.
Thank you for the response. I saw a you tube video where they took a 1/4" drill bit and widened the groove on the roller and slid the cover out that way without removing the tube. Any thoughts on that? Seems your method would be easier for one person.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 07:47 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlin11 View Post
Thank you for the response. I saw a you tube video where they took a 1/4" drill bit and widened the groove on the roller and slid the cover out that way without removing the tube. Any thoughts on that? Seems your method would be easier for one person.

Ron, maybe that drill trick will work and might even be preferred on a non-enclosed or specific brand/model of topper, but it just wouldn't work in the case of the Ascent topper.

First, Carefree installs a 2" long SS screw in each end of the roller track. These screws bite into the hem bead and even the fabric itself. No way the topper is coming out without removing those screws and to do that you need to get to the ends of the roller tube.

Second, there is only about 3/4" of exposed roller on each end and with the cap in place you would be forced to drill at a steep angle plus you would be drilling into the aforementioned screws, creating a real mess and still not able to remove the topper.

Third, with both end caps in place the roller tube is locked and you would not be able to unroll the excess fabric (all fabric is I think 44" in width), nor would you be able to reroll the new fabric.

Finally, there are only two screws holding on each end cap, so it takes just a few seconds to remove and provide access to the ends of the roller track. Plus with just one end cap removed, the roller is completely free and can be lifted out. Caution, the spring MUST be pinned before removing any end caps.

With two or more people and at least two 8' or taller stable step ladders the normal way to do this project would be to slide the fabric out/in of the roller tube and coach track simultaneously while the roller stays mostly in place.

My procedure in the previous post is for one person working alone without a lot of ladders on hand. However, now that I know how the Ascent toppers work, if I ever had to do it again, even with a helper, I think I'd still use the same technique. It's a bit easier because it allows pulling one hem at a time instead of both together.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Prevention???

Has anyone found a product that can be applied to the threads to slow down deterioration?
Thanks
Old 05-31-2020, 09:12 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron @ HHI View Post
Has anyone found a product that can be applied to the threads to slow down deterioration?
Thanks
I have no experience with that, but it's sunlight/UV that is one of the primary causes of the deterioration so something that would block that. Using PTFE thread (Tenara, SolarFix, etc.) would be the way to go from the outset which is expensive but allegedly impervious. Otherwise perhaps 303 or even some kind of UV resistant outdoor tape to cover the exposed thread? The constantly exposed seam is the one that attaches to the coach gutter rail, the roller tube seam is never exposed even with the slides extended.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Option???

I did a lot of googling and found this product. I will try it but results will not show for years

U-V-BLOCK Sun Protection 17 oz. (Permanent Fabric Treatment)
Old 05-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Ron, maybe that drill trick will work and might even be preferred on a non-enclosed or specific brand/model of topper, but it just wouldn't work in the case of the Ascent topper.

First, Carefree installs a 2" long SS screw in each end of the roller track. These screws bite into the hem bead and even the fabric itself. No way the topper is coming out without removing those screws and to do that you need to get to the ends of the roller tube.

Second, there is only about 3/4" of exposed roller on each end and with the cap in place you would be forced to drill at a steep angle plus you would be drilling into the aforementioned screws, creating a real mess and still not able to remove the topper.

Third, with both end caps in place the roller tube is locked and you would not be able to unroll the excess fabric (all fabric is I think 44" in width), nor would you be able to reroll the new fabric.

Finally, there are only two screws holding on each end cap, so it takes just a few seconds to remove and provide access to the ends of the roller track. Plus with just one end cap removed, the roller is completely free and can be lifted out. Caution, the spring MUST be pinned before removing any end caps.

With two or more people and at least two 8' or taller stable step ladders the normal way to do this project would be to slide the fabric out/in of the roller tube and coach track simultaneously while the roller stays mostly in place.

My procedure in the previous post is for one person working alone without a lot of ladders on hand. However, now that I know how the Ascent toppers work, if I ever had to do it again, even with a helper, I think I'd still use the same technique. It's a bit easier because it allows pulling one hem at a time instead of both together.
Rob,

What model of Carefree toppers were supplied on an Aspire in 2014? Were they Ascent toppers or (like mine) SOK III?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Rob,

What model of Carefree toppers were supplied on an Aspire in 2014? Were they Ascent toppers or (like mine) SOK III?
Well if it's the same year as yours Don, I guess it probably would be the SOKIII. I had no idea when they started with the Ascent or what was used previously. Totally different design between those two models.

But ronlin11 is correct for the SOKIII, I did find this video that shows the replacement procedure and it does involve opening up the track with a drill bit. No way that would work on the Ascent tho for the previously mentioned reasons.

https://youtu.be/iF5IhGQuQm0

Tags
slide