Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra choice

I would say the Entegra would be a better choice unless you need a shorter coach for places you visit.
Either way you should be able to get it at 70% of MSRP. Just figure it out and shop it,
LasVegasRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Tiffin's are nice, had one. But Love my Entegra
Old 10-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I appreciate all the comments. I have one other question about the engine. The Aspire and Anthem have the 450 ISL and the Cornerstone has the ISX. Does the ISL engine provide enough power reserve when traveling in mountain terrain like you would find in Utah or other Western States? I know the Cornerstone would have no problem with the ISX. I may post this as a separate thread. Thanks.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Our 40' and 42' Allegro Busses had the 400 ISL. Not that much difference between the 400 and 450. Those extra 50 HP (and 50 ft-lbs of torque) only show up at the very top of the RPM band so 90% of the time the power is the same. We travelled all over the west with them, including the Beartooth Highway, Million Dollar Highway, all the Colorado climbs, etc. The 450 will get you up them but you won't be setting any land speed records in the process.

The big 600 isn't so much about going faster as it is the comfort of being able to hold your speed and recover it faster. Climbing grades like Butte, MT or Vail, CO it doesn't take much with the ISL to get stuck behind a slow moving truck. Then, when you finally get a clear left lane it takes forever to build up your speed to get past them, assuming you can increase the speed at all. With the torque of the ISX you just pull out and motor on up the grade. The ISX is also nice when merging onto a freeway because you can get up to speed and blend into the traffic much better than with the ISL.

That said, the 450 will get you there just fine but the 600 makes the trip much more enjoyable and less stressful.

However, most think that the difference is just the engine. That's not true. The K3 chassis used in the Cornerstone is much more than a bigger engine compared to the Anthem or Aspire. Stopping id equally as impressive. The 450 ISL has maybe 250-300 braking horsepower with the engine compression brake. The ISX uses a unique engine braking system that provides a full 600 braking horsepower that combines the compression brake with fuel injector remapping to fire early to put a serious drag on the engine before TDC.

Then there's the brakes. They are 6 wheel disc brakes that stop the CS like a rock. They don't fade like drums so if you are working it in the mountains or stuck in stop and go traffic they work consistently from beginning to end without fade.

The handling and Hadley Active-air suspension also are a nice step up. All Entegras handle well but the Cornerstone kicks t up a notch. I've found I can turn the wheel wherever I want the coach to go and it just follows my lead with excellent feedback through the wheel. The dual steering gearboxes offer a great balance between low-effort steering and a good fell of the road. Those big 365 tires up front don't care what they are driving on. I can drive through a construction zone with the tire half on the concrete lane and half on the asphalt shoulder and the coach doesn't even know it's riding on a ledge. It just goes like it a hovercraft.

There's just so much more to that chassis than that engine and a test drive under tough circumstances will have you in a Cornerstone before long.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #19

Rorr,

I agree with all the posts. Since you are based in Kerrville, the nearest Entegra dealer is in Alvarado about 6 hours away. But that is not an issue with customer service. Entegra will work with Ronnie Bocks RV in your back yard. I've used Texas Custom Coachs in Pipe Creek, TX. They are very good and keep your coach plugged in while there. The closest Spartan dealer is Holt CAT in San Antonio. I've been here twice.

The bottom line is 2 year warranty and you do not need to take your coach to an Entegra dealer or Red Bay AL. Customer service has been outstanding.

PM me if you want to talk.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #20

We were sold on tiffin bus .. loved the floor plan of the 45 op .. we flew to Texas to test drive one,, it happened to be raining that day test drove up the freeway , it was so noisy I had to pull over and see if something was wrong
It sounded like the back up camera microphone was on, but it wasn't,,
We were so disappointed , we knew right then that we couldn't own this coach because the quality of quietness is so important to the package of any coach, it clearly didn't have the insulation qualities,, we ended up with a anthem and it drives and is as quiet as s class Mercedes
Still sometimes look at that bus and the 45 op floor plan is still sweet and there polo Ralph Lauren's decor is nicely done,,, cabinets are beautiful in the dark brown package.. but Entegra
Is so well put together in all departments, we love our anthem and am sticking with it.
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck1957
In Kerrville at Buckhorn

Just drove down from British Columbia through Idaho, Montana and Utah.
We did not have any issues with power. Made a wrong turn in Utah and went to 10,000 ft no problem. Hit snow at 7500 ft twice.
600 would be nice but the 450 works just fine.
Several Entegra's here in the park.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Our 40' and 42' Allegro Busses had the 400 ISL. Not that much difference between the 400 and 450. Those extra 50 HP (and 50 ft-lbs of torque) only show up at the very top of the RPM band so 90% of the time the power is the same. We travelled all over the west with them, including the Beartooth Highway, Million Dollar Highway, all the Colorado climbs, etc. The 450 will get you up them but you won't be setting any land speed records in the process.

The big 600 isn't so much about going faster as it is the comfort of being able to hold your speed and recover it faster. Climbing grades like Butte, MT or Vail, CO it doesn't take much with the ISL to get stuck behind a slow moving truck. Then, when you finally get a clear left lane it takes forever to build up your speed to get past them, assuming you can increase the speed at all. With the torque of the ISX you just pull out and motor on up the grade. The ISX is also nice when merging onto a freeway because you can get up to speed and blend into the traffic much better than with the ISL.

That said, the 450 will get you there just fine but the 600 makes the trip much more enjoyable and less stressful.

However, most think that the difference is just the engine. That's not true. The K3 chassis used in the Cornerstone is much more than a bigger engine compared to the Anthem or Aspire. Stopping id equally as impressive. The 450 ISL has maybe 250-300 braking horsepower with the engine compression brake. The ISX uses a unique engine braking system that provides a full 600 braking horsepower that combines the compression brake with fuel injector remapping to fire early to put a serious drag on the engine before TDC.

Then there's the brakes. They are 6 wheel disc brakes that stop the CS like a rock. They don't fade like drums so if you are working it in the mountains or stuck in stop and go traffic they work consistently from beginning to end without fade.

The handling and Hadley Active-air suspension also are a nice step up. All Entegras handle well but the Cornerstone kicks t up a notch. I've found I can turn the wheel wherever I want the coach to go and it just follows my lead with excellent feedback through the wheel. The dual steering gearboxes offer a great balance between low-effort steering and a good fell of the road. Those big 365 tires up front don't care what they are driving on. I can drive through a construction zone with the tire half on the concrete lane and half on the asphalt shoulder and the coach doesn't even know it's riding on a ledge. It just goes like it a hovercraft.

There's just so much more to that chassis than that engine and a test drive under tough circumstances will have you in a Cornerstone before long.
2-1/2 years and 28,000 miles later driving throughout the Rockies, I could not agree more. The K3 with that 600 Cummins is outta sight!!
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #23

X3 on what Cruzer said.

2016 45 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 10-29-2016, 05:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
We were sold on tiffin bus .. loved the floor plan of the 45 op .. we flew to Texas to test drive one,, it happened to be raining that day test drove up the freeway , it was so noisy I had to pull over and see if something was wrong
It sounded like the back up camera microphone was on, but it wasn't,,
We were so disappointed , we knew right then that we couldn't own this coach because the quality of quietness is so important to the package of any coach, it clearly didn't have the insulation qualities,, we ended up with a anthem and it drives and is as quiet as s class Mercedes
Still sometimes look at that bus and the 45 op floor plan is still sweet and there polo Ralph Lauren's decor is nicely done,,, cabinets are beautiful in the dark brown package.. but Entegra
Is so well put together in all departments, we love our anthem and am sticking with it.
You absolutely nailed it ! We went through exactly the same situation 2 years ago and still to this day believe the Bus 45 OPP floor plan is about as perfect as it gets. HOWEVER that is where it ends when compared to everything else with our Entegra Anthem.

I've said it before many times and will again: COMPROMISE !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #25

I grew up in Alabama and wanted a Tiffin for as long as I can remember. I have had one now and I am picking up my 2014 Entegra Aspire on Saturday.

I never buy new so I don't have any first hand knowledge of the units you are looking at, however, I have a close friend that just took delivery of his second 45' Bus he had an 08 and loved it, has a 2016 now and has had nothing but trouble for the last 6 months and has not been pleased with the service after the sale. Lots of little issues, some significant electrical issues and a few material quality issues on interior doors.

They both build great products but they are built by humans, and a bad one slips through every once in a while.

Good luck
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:42 AM   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Buy the Entegra.....I've had both, and my recommendation is Entegra. Just on insulation, as a case in point.
Entegra- roof=R24, sidewalls=R16, floor=R33.
Tiffin is maybe an R6 at best.....in the sidewalls.

I loved my Tiffin, but having had it in both hot (100+° Fahrenheit) and cold (20°)....I'll recommend the Entegra every time!

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
www.entegraowners.com
2017 Anthem DEQ/Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra, tiffin