Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

The display panel is just an interface. Like the switches, it communicates with the G6 controllers. If the controller took a dump then most everything would go down and any switch panels would also be dead. If the touch screen went down then the switch panels would still work but I think the odds of that are slim compared to a G6 or switch failure. The touch screen is most likely less prone to failure than a switch panel which gets its buttons pushed repetitively.

In my case I plan on adding the system and will have two panels, one in the rear bath and one in the main living area. If one panel goes down I'll still have the other. I will also retain the existing Magnum controllers, AGS, thermostat, dump valves, etc so if the G5 or G6 go down I'll be covered there as well.

On a new coach I would like to see a dedicated thermostat available to use as a back-up. The Firetravel that I looked at had pairs of temperature sensors so I'm guessing that they did retain the thermostat as a backup and that the Firefly system needed its own dedicated sensors. The AGS I could live without and the generator can still start with the rocker switch so it wouldn't be too critical if the entire system malfunctioned.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #30

Rather than wall mount panels, not sure of the cost, why not a couple more tablets? Crestron software, I think it's available on Android and I know it is available for the iPad/iPhone, and if put a charging cradle on a wall if you wanted a place to store it.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for that explanation Mark. It helps me understand a system I have no knowledge of. Heck, I am still playing catch up with all the new LED lights.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Mark,
So what you're saying, is if the pad or the wifi that the pad uses has a hiccup, there's no redundancy...no interface with the system controller, and you have no control over the functions of the interfaced systems?

Basically time to get a hotel?

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
2013 Aspire DEQ
Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
Mark,
So what you're saying, is if the pad or the wifi that the pad uses has a hiccup, there's no redundancy...no interface with the system controller, and you have no control over the functions of the interfaced systems?

Pat Bauer, President
2013 Aspire DEQ
Ford Edge
I'm not sure how Entegra has it set up. I only saw the prototype and am familiar with the system on Foretravel but not enough with Entegra's implementation of the system.

Obviously, all of the regular wall switches will still operate the G6 controller. For those functions not on the wall switches, there will need to be some sort of access to whatever is being controlled in order to bypass a failure in the Firefly system. Those failures can happen in a number of areas. If the G6 CPU goes down then the wall switches or iPad interface or VergaTouch panel won't do a bit of good. However, the G6 is pretty much failure-free and most coach builders are now using it. The previous G5 controller used by Entegra prior to 2017 was quite reliable as well so I don't expect this to be a big concern. If the VegaTouch screen goes down then you will have the switches available and the iPad interface. The switches are limited in what they control but the iPad would cover everything that the VegaTouch does.

Hopefully there is still a set of rocker switches to control the Aqua-Hot, a thermostat and some Magnum inverter control panels still present to serve as a redundancy. I did see that on the Foretravel IH45 but haven't seen the latest Entegra implementation so can't confirm that at this time. If there are none then a CPU failure would require at least some sort of Aqua-Hot and thermostat control to keep you out of a hotel.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #34

Mark,

Pat Bauer, President
2013 Aspire DEQ
Ford Edge

The same can be said for the ECM or TCM or a number of other electronic controls. Don't worry about the mule going blind just load the wagon. Just saying. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
If the mule goes blind will the adaptive cruise control still work?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Depends if you have brakes on the wagon or not! Noel
Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It will as long as the mule wagon has two busses - RVC for the house and J1939 for the chassis.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Depends if you have brakes on the wagon or not! Noel
Would need ABS brakes on the mule as well.

Now, if the mule passes gas would that be considered "Air Brakes"?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Would need ABS brakes on the mule as well.

Now, if the mule passes gas would that be considered "Air Brakes"?
That's funny!😀😀
Old 04-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

And here I always thought that that was the air dryer purge making that funny noise.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Talked to Ted Cook today about the Vegatouch.

There is some redundancy as some of the controls can also be accessed from the dash....something that is not well known...especially the temperature (A/C).

The Genset and slides have redundancy, not based on the Vegatouch.

But he stressed that they have about four years experience with this system and frankly have experienced little in the way of crashes or failures. He also stated that the failures are usually cured by simply turning off all Coach Power and rebooting the system. What's more today cause most of the crash by simply overloading the system with rapid commands.

Pat Bauer, President
www.entegraowners.com
2013 Aspire DEQ/Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

That makes sense. The system really is not problematic and actually increases reliability over having multiple analog switched circuits with all the additional wiring connections.