RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Larry, you answered a question I had. I will get one ordered tomorrow!
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Larry, it's ordered. I looked at several adapters and debated on the CURT 45405 becasue of the tangs that looked like it would hold it tighter in the receiver, then bought local instead. Thanks for sharing the fit problem.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #31

Larry and Chuck

I bought the Curt from eTrailer. I had reports from others on the forum that the reducer was a noisey addition and the owner didnt like the clacking and banging that he was getting on the hitch with the reducer. I bought the Curt which does have "ears" that prevents the reducer sleeve from going up into the hitch receiver when the pin is not inserted. That made sense. What I can tell you is that I have heard no banging or clunking out of the hitch so far in the ~ 2,000 miles that I have put on the Cornerstone at this point. Maybe there is some, but I cant hear it from the cab. Make sure that you get the largest diameter pin that goes into the hitch also. I used to have a locking pin for the Anthem and lost that with the coach, and this one has a cotter key pin in now which I dont like.... I am going to try to find a good locking pin so the "jokers" in the world don't have a "practical joke" to pull on me by pulling the pin.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #32

Oh, and Larry, since SMI and Spartan still had not figured out how to have the same pneumatic air line connector installed on the coach and the AFO that were compatible and they had to cut off the Spartan connector, I had mine connector moved to the location that you suggested, which is further away from the hitch. The air line on my Honda was on the same side of the car (more to the passenger side) moving the air chuck on the Cornerstone more to the passenger side made a lot of sense, and it is now out of the way of all the other lines and cables in the hitch.

Gary
Old 06-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
I have been caught in the middle of the Hadley pump situation through a PM this morning and I don't even have a CS yet.

If there is a noise problem with others, start a new civilized post so those at Entegra can see if there is a problem. If I have a problem that it bothers me, I'll add a section of hose to move the noise back and post it. We have had air dryer noises before and the "fix" was simple. I think the fix was posted by Noel and copied be everyone, now it's factory. That was one that bothered everybody and was soon corrected by Entegra.

The pump a a brand new design, give it a change without bashing the manufactures.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:42 AM   #34

Well, there is clearly something inconsistent going on..... some owners are ranting about a problem, and other owners (like me) dont see a problem at all. Soooooooooo, that pretty clearly suggests that either there is a problem in installation of the system, or a problem in routing the pump exhaust, or some manufacturing/installation problem, not an engineering problem with the system. I am pretty sure that Entegra would not intentionally install, or Hadley manufacture, a system that 98% of the owners (all that are not deaf) would find objectionable. If there is an installation problem, then the problem needs to be determined and figured out and then installed correctly on the coaches coming down the line.

Gary
Old 06-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, two things. the 2.5 inch locking pins are sold at Walmart, the Reese brand. $11.95 I believe.

Nobody has even posted a picture yet of the pump that a few are complaining about. Could they be mounted in different locations? I'll use the drain hose for the dash A/C as an example. On the Classics some were draining right on top of the generator plug causing corrosion problems. A coupe of wire ties fixed that problem. Others were routed correctly with no problems from the factory.

When I spoke with Don yesterday, they tried a few Cornerstones and did not see (hear) a problem. Then we laughed about the pop off valves....no doubt about the noise on those and it was quickly corrected.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #36

Chuck

I think that you might find that the pins need to be longer than normal. My hitch receiver is a double layer of sheet steel and of course the receiver is a bigger diameter hole to begin with than some smaller hitches.... Now, I did not buy the pin.... One of the things that I asked my dealer to do for me was mount the hitch and reducer, and find the right pin to go through the whole deal. The double layer receiver is strange... it has a bigger diameter hole in the outside layer, and a "normal" big diameter hitch pin hole in the inner piece of sheet steel... when you first explore it, or stick your finger in the holes, I thought I would need a really thick pin to fill up that hole, but then realized that there was a smaller hole in the inner layer of steel so that larger of the standard pins was the right one to use.... but I think it may be a longer, larger diameter pin.

Regardless, I just asked their hitch guy to: Move my air connector for the AFO to a different location (reference Larry's pix), make the air chucks the same size, and mount the hitch, the reducer, and the whole enchilada, and bill me for the process. So far, everything is working GREAT.

Gary.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
The Reese pin is 3.5 inches inside length. Measure your hitch and see if it fits. Most 2.5 inch hitches, no matter what brand are double walled to be able to tow the 20,000 lbs. It is the standard 5/8 in hole through the tow bar. Checked mine and it fits perfect.
Lots of big boats in my area so lots of 2.5 inch hitches. The longer locking pins are an off the shelf item at Walmart and you can pick one up in your travels.
Do not get the standard 2 in pin, it will not fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-06-28 09.27.23.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	208771  
Old 06-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #38

I went with a locking hitch pin from the C.T. Johnson company:

Welcome to DeadBolt - Lock it up!

Specifically, their locking pin for a 2.5 receiver is the RH5-XL:

Welcome to DeadBolt - Products - Hitch - RH5-XL

Interesting company family owned & operated, located in Michigan, products made in the USA. More info here:

Welcome to DeadBolt - Who We Are

Products available from Camping World, Amazon, eTrailer and elsewhere.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Well, there is clearly something inconsistent going on..... some owners are ranting about a problem, and other owners (like me) dont see a problem at all. Soooooooooo, that pretty clearly suggests that either there is a problem in installation of the system, or a problem in routing the pump exhaust, or some manufacturing/installation problem, not an engineering problem with the system. I am pretty sure that Entegra would not intentionally install, or Hadley manufacture, a system that 98% of the owners (all that are not deaf) would find objectionable. If there is an installation problem, then the problem needs to be determined and figured out and then installed correctly on the coaches coming down the line.
Gary, based on having driven or ridden is several 2018 Cornerstones, my opinion is that the noise from the Hadley system is the same on all of them, with the difference being how bothersome a given owner finds it to be.

When we first traveled in the coach after taking delivery at NIRVC in Atlanta I definitely noticed the air noise compared to the three other diesel motorhomes weve owned. My first inclination was that something might be amiss, but in talking with a friend who took delivery of a 2018 Cornerstone a few months before we did, he assured me the air noise was normal. Amy & I are used to it now and regard it as no big deal, but I understand why other owners would not like it and want to do something to quiet it down.

If Chuck and/or others come up with an easy way to muffle the noise Ill probably implement the modification, but if not we can live with what we have.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Gary, based on having driven or ridden is several 2018 Cornerstones, my opinion is that the noise from the Hadley system is the same on all of them, with the difference being how bothersome a given owner finds it to be.

When we first traveled in the coach after taking delivery at NIRVC in Atlanta I definitely noticed the air noise compared to the three other diesel motorhomes weve owned. My first inclination was that something might be amiss, but in talking with a friend who took delivery of a 2018 Cornerstone a few months before we did, he assured me the air noise was normal. Amy & I are used to it now and regard it as no big deal, but I understand why other owners would not like it and want to do something to quiet it down.

If Chuck and/or others come up with an easy way to muffle the noise Ill probably implement the modification, but if not we can live with what we have.

One thing that no one has thought of is this:
On the 2019 Cornerstones, Hadley Air Ride now has a separate air compressor that sits in a box just inside the front left tire. It is bolted onto the frame. I was told by Hadley that this compressor is only used when you are parked and have pressed the SLS button on the Hadley control panel. The reason they did this was if you are parked for a long time and your main tank air bleads down, you don't have to start up the engine to build up tank air again.
Again, this dedicated compressor is only used if you are in SLS mode with the engine shut off. If you are moving, then the main air tank is used as a source for active leveling the coach.
Maybe this compressor is somehow activating on some of the coaches and this is what some are hearing? I have a 2019 Cornerstone and have never heard this compressor come on unless I use SLS.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #41

Don

That would make a whole lot of sense. The only time I hear the psssss is when I am parked and the Cummins is off, and probably when I am getting in or out of the coach. I keep my Hadley in "STD-Ride" most of the time (standard ride height) riding down the road and even now with the coach hooked to the house 50A power source and I don't hear any pssssss as I get on or off. I did read in an earlier discussion that there was an extra pump installed in the 19s to maintain pressure in the Hadley system when the coach pressure pump is not operational (the Cummins is not running).

if my memory is correct, back in the ole days when I would ride a city bus (rarely) or ride a tour bus (more often), one would hear the psssss as the bus aired up or released air to maintain the bus ride height or position.... remember?

Gary

Tags
air, leveling