Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2021, 08:08 PM   #1

2019 Cornerstone House Battery Meter

Just picked up a new to us, used 2019 Cornerstone. Really enjoyed 6 hour deliver that NIRVC went through with us. One thing I forgot or we skipped over was how to check the battery level? Past coaches had a level or gauge but I don't see anything other than voltage on the vegatouch? We have (8) 6v batteries.
solarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2021, 10:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Just picked up a new to us, used 2019 Cornerstone. Really enjoyed 6 hour deliver that NIRVC went through with us. One thing I forgot or we skipped over was how to check the battery level? Past coaches had a level or gauge but I don't see anything other than voltage on the vegatouch? We have (8) 6v batteries.
Those batteries are underneath in a craw space out of sight and mind. The 6 volts are AGM batteries
Ray Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Huffman View Post
Those batteries are underneath in a craw space out of sight and mind. The 6 volts are AGM batteries
I remember where they are located but was more asking if there is a gauge or monitor to see how much charge they have left in them. All I see on the Vega touch is voltage.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #4

Vegatouch does not have a percentage SOC (state of charge) it just shows voltages. I have heard they are looking at adding SOC values so we will see if that is added.

This chart will help with current SOC as a percentage. I am sure LWBAZ or 757Driver will be much more adept at more info then I am, but here is the chart
Attached Images

jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #5

SolarGuy

I think that I know what you are after. Let me try. First I have a 2019 Cornerstone "B" so I should have the exact VegaTouch screens you have. Different vintages of Entegras have different looking VegaTouch screen. Some of the other screens confuse me, but I am sure the same information is there also. On this screen you will see the voltage of the house and chassis battery banks. This will show you the voltage as it is right at that time.

You will notice down near the lower left corner there is a "button" marked inverters. If you touch and hold that button for a couple of seconds, it will take you to my second image.

The Inverter image shows you the status of your inverters, the voltage of the incoming power feeds, the voltage and amperage of the feeds to each battery bank so you can know that inverter #1 is putting 0 amps into the battery and is not charging and the battery voltage is 13.9, whereas the status of the second inverter/charger is charging at 8A at voltage of 13.9 volts and is in float charge stage.

The voltages you see are the voltages of an actively being charged battery or bank or a recently charged bank. Actual resting voltage will fall into the ~12.6 after the charge has had a little time to settle.

Is that what you were looking for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cornerstone VegaTouch image of main - base  screen.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	317684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cornerstone VegaTouch image of inverter screen.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	317685  

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #6

Jeff.herren and Gary.jones thank you both. This helps a lot. Both somewhat answer the question. We do a decent amount of boondocking/dry camping in the desert and what I am trying to understand is just how much I have in my batteries. Just bought the coach and in a night of testing the aqua hot on diesel heat, and normal TV usage among other small loads the batteries only lasted about 4-5 hours before the AGS started the generator. I have it set at 12.1v to start and shut off at 13.4v. It reaches 13.4 in about an hour or so of running, but drops off quickly to about 12.5v about 30 mins after the generator shuts off and then reaches 12.1v again in about 3-5 hours at which point the generator starts again.

I am wondering if this is about right for dry camping or if my batteries which are just over 3 years old are having issues. I know the refridgerator and aquahot use a decent amount of energy and there are a lot of lights in the coach as well even though we are only using about 1/4 of them at any given time.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:03 PM   #7

Your house battery bank seems to be weakened and may need to be replaced.

My wife and I do a lot of boondocking. By a lot I mean almost any night while traveling at a WalMart or similar parking lot and for 10-14 days at Quartzsite on BLM land when we host the ENTEGRA@QUARTZSITE GATHERING every January and anytime a good RV spot is unavailable or we simply get sick of spending $50 - $120 a night for a place to park our bus. Your batteries should last longer IMO. However, here is how we survive in the desert.

1. We run the genny every evening for 2 hours just before we go to bed.
2. We run the genny for two hours as soon as we get up in the morning (and that means as soon as I wake up, before I turn on the coffee pot, or use the microwave etc.... any high amperage loads)
3.) I fire up the genny during lunch and dinner for the period of time that Dee is using the microwave. All dishwashing, fireplace running, and other 120 VAC "work" is done while we are running the genny before bed and after first waking up.

I have found that I can live for weeks following that system. My AGS is set for 12.1 also and I run the AquaHot on diesel all night with temp set at 68 and the AGS generally will never come on. If I have had a little more daytime usage of power after a couple of days I might find that the AGS kicks on at 4 or 5 (we generally are up and watching TV until midnight) and it takes a little extra charging to have the batteries truly up to enough charge to make it through the night.

One more issue. Everyone knows that the default batteries installed in Entegra coaches are Asian batteries that are not top quality.... many think of them far from top quality. I needed to replace my 15 Anthem batteries at 3 years..... my current 19 Cornerstone is still doing well, but I doubt very much that I will get away without replacing them this year or early next year.

Just reread your questions and another comment. My generator on AGS I think runs for at least 2 hours. That voltage reached is FAR from a really fully charged battery.... The reason that the genny starts again so soon is that it was not nearly recharged during that AGS run. 757Pilot (Don Betcher) is most of our "Go-To" owner about battery charging and inverter/charger settings. Don will come in here and ask him almost anything that comes to mind and you can be pretty sure that you are getting gospel on proper set up. Don is a Good Guy

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Jeff.herren and Gary.jones thank you both. This helps a lot. Both somewhat answer the question. We do a decent amount of boondocking/dry camping in the desert and what I am trying to understand is just how much I have in my batteries. Just bought the coach and in a night of testing the aqua hot on diesel heat, and normal TV usage among other small loads the batteries only lasted about 4-5 hours before the AGS started the generator. I have it set at 12.1v to start and shut off at 13.4v. It reaches 13.4 in about an hour or so of running, but drops off quickly to about 12.5v about 30 mins after the generator shuts off and then reaches 12.1v again in about 3-5 hours at which point the generator starts again.

I am wondering if this is about right for dry camping or if my batteries which are just over 3 years old are having issues. I know the refridgerator and aquahot use a decent amount of energy and there are a lot of lights in the coach as well even though we are only using about 1/4 of them at any given time.
No, unfortunately you do not have a battery SOC (state of charge) meter. To reliably be able to start the generator from the house batteries a setting of 12.1v for the auto gen start is a good set point. An in use voltage of 12.1v is about 50% SOC (as long as there are no high loads on the batteries).

The problems you are running into with the house batteries only lasting 3-5 hours is in the amount of charge they are receiving.

First, when driving your house batteries will only receive a 1 hour charge from the alternator when the house batteries drop to less than 12.6v. This cycle will repeat each time your house batteries drop to less than 12.6v so at the end of an 8 hour drive don’t expect your house batteries to be fully charged.

Second, running your generator for approximately 1 hour and having it shut off at 13.4v will not put sufficient charge into your house batteries to last more than the 3-5 hours mentioned with minimal power use. Setting the generator to shut off at something like 14.5v will get you through the Bulk charge phase and will charge your batteries up to approximately 75-80% SOC.

Try a longer generator run time and see how the batteries last.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hi solarguy,

You might find this video helpful (titled "Power Management"): https://youtu.be/SDQfZtbgpnA

It features P.J. Clanton, the Entegra Coach Technical Training Manager. He's a wealth of knowledge for everything Entegra.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Your house battery bank seems to be weakened and may need to be replaced.

My wife and I do a lot of boondocking. By a lot I mean almost any night while traveling at a WalMart or similar parking lot and for 10-14 days at Quartzsite on BLM land when we host the ENTEGRA@QUARTZSITE GATHERING every January and anytime a good RV spot is unavailable or we simply get sick of spending $50 - $120 a night for a place to park our bus. Your batteries should last longer IMO. However, here is how we survive in the desert.

1. We run the genny every evening for 2 hours just before we go to bed.
2. We run the genny for two hours as soon as we get up in the morning (and that means as soon as I wake up, before I turn on the coffee pot, or use the microwave etc.... any high amperage loads)
3.) I fire up the genny during lunch and dinner for the period of time that Dee is using the microwave. All dishwashing, fireplace running, and other 120 VAC "work" is done while we are running the genny before bed and after first waking up.

I have found that I can live for weeks following that system. My AGS is set for 12.1 also and I run the AquaHot on diesel all night with temp set at 68 and the AGS generally will never come on. If I have had a little more daytime usage of power after a couple of days I might find that the AGS kicks on at 4 or 5 (we generally are up and watching TV until midnight) and it takes a little extra charging to have the batteries truly up to enough charge to make it through the night.

One more issue. Everyone knows that the default batteries installed in Entegra coaches are Asian batteries that are not top quality.... many think of them far from top quality. I needed to replace my 15 Anthem batteries at 3 years..... my current 19 Cornerstone is still doing well, but I doubt very much that I will get away without replacing them this year or early next year.

Just reread your questions and another comment. My generator on AGS I think runs for at least 2 hours. That voltage reached is FAR from a really fully charged battery.... The reason that the genny starts again so soon is that it was not nearly recharged during that AGS run. 757Pilot (Don Betcher) is most of our "Go-To" owner about battery charging and inverter/charger settings. Don will come in here and ask him almost anything that comes to mind and you can be pretty sure that you are getting gospel on proper set up. Don is a Good Guy

Gary
Really appreciate the input, and I live in San Diego and we also have a house in North Yuma in the Colorado River, would love to meet up some time at the Entegra Quartzite gathering.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
No, unfortunately you do not have a battery SOC (state of charge) meter. To reliably be able to start the generator from the house batteries a setting of 12.1v for the auto gen start is a good set point. An in use voltage of 12.1v is about 50% SOC (as long as there are no high loads on the batteries).

The problems you are running into with the house batteries only lasting 3-5 hours is in the amount of charge they are receiving.

First, when driving your house batteries will only receive a 1 hour charge from the alternator when the house batteries drop to less than 12.6v. This cycle will repeat each time your house batteries drop to less than 12.6v so at the end of an 8 hour drive dont expect your house batteries to be fully charged.

Second, running your generator for approximately 1 hour and having it shut off at 13.4v will not put sufficient charge into your house batteries to last more than the 3-5 hours mentioned with minimal power use. Setting the generator to shut off at something like 14.5v will get you through the Bulk charge phase and will charge your batteries up to approximately 75-80% SOC.

Try a longer generator run time and see how the batteries last.
Makes a lot of sense and I will try running the generator longer. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2021, 04:08 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi solarguy,

You might find this video helpful (titled "Power Management"): https://youtu.be/SDQfZtbgpnA

It features P.J. Clanton, the Entegra Coach Technical Training Manager. He's a wealth of knowledge for everything Entegra.

Take care,
Stu
Stu,

Not to pick on you what so ever but in watching that video there are a few areas that need commenting on and correcting.

At 2:50 the inverter settings for an Aspire with flooded batteries are being shown. The rate of charge shown is 80%. This level from a Magnum 2812 inverter/charger (125amp charger) is 100 AH. That 100 AH is going into a 400 AH house battery bank or in other words a 25% of C rate of charge. Most flooded battery manufacturers that I am familiar with recommend 10-15% of C charge rate not 25%. Sure they will charge quicker at a higher charge rate but at what cost to the battery longevity?

At 7:30 the chart is showing that at Full/Standby the charger is OFF and will return to charging after the battery drops to 12.1v. This is incorrect. As per Magnum the battery will return to Float charging (for 4 hours) when the battery drops to less than 12.6v. Even at this level the AGM battery does not return to 100% SOC in the time allotted but the Vegatouch user is unable to change this setting.

At 9:35 all the Auto Gen Start charts show a start voltage of either 11.7-11.8v. After the house batteries are a few years old I have not heard of anyone that can reliably get the generator to start at this voltage. A setting of 12.0-12.1v is more reliable and realistic.

Otherwise there is some good information contained in the video.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Stu,

Not to pick on you what so ever but in watching that video there are a few areas that need commenting on and correcting.
Well, Don, you're officially OFF my Christmas gift list now!

Seriously, no offense taken.

There are some subtle, and some not so subtle, differences among the various models and years electrical systems, to be sure. I'd expect that PJ struggles with including specific values and settings when he creates his video presentations.

Still, I've found his numerous videos to be beneficial in understanding how various systems work.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
battery