Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
2019 GPS's need updates, thanks TXBart

Taking a page from TXBart's post on his 2018, my 19 was worse. The RM couldn't find it's way to a shop I have been to many times and couldn't find it's way home. It lagged 2.5 miles behind after making a turn and wanted to go in circles going home which was only 10 miles.

I put the SD card in the computer this morning, 410 updates and 1.45 hours for the map updates, on a 2019 GPS.
If you have a new GPS, check for updates before thinking it does not work....it probably won't out of the box.

Others may have a perfect GPS, just sharing how mine and TXBart's was, the SD card is under the D/S dash panel. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow of the location.

Those that like their Garmins better, congratulation, mine is in the backseat of the toad. This post is only for those that have RM's and like to use them as I do.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #2

Chuck, We’re looking at a 2019 Anthem. Is there a way to tell if its current?
AZ520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:24 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ520 View Post
Chuck, We’re looking at a 2019 Anthem. Is there a way to tell if its current?
Remove the SD card, install it in a computer loaded with the Rand McNally Dock software. I took my laptop to the MH, did the updates then took it for a test drive. The GPS worked perfect. I am still scratching my head how a brand new GPS would take 410. updates. All of the SD cards installed must be old and out dated, even the maps were not current and the reason for this post.

I have had two RM GPS's that both of them needed updating when they were brand new. The 2014's needed so many updates and maps the SD cards were not large enough to hold them that Riverpark had to replace the cards.

Also updating the software and maps once a year is advisable. The GPS's perform so much better when they are kept updated.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:37 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I found a simpler way to check if an update is available. Once you have downloaded the RM dock and registered your SD card, click on the RM icon which will open the dock. If an update is available, the far left button will tell you tell you UPDATE AVAILABLE. No need to insert your SD card to check for an update.

Hope that helps, Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:45 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Brian, that works! I just checked the serial # for my 14 and it needs updates. Love it, I learned something new today, I always thought the card was needed.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:52 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I discovered it by accident Chuck. Couldn't be easier

Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:57 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I'm glad you told me, I will register the 19 card on my home computer before I take it back to the MH. That way I won't have to setup the laptop to check the card. I brought the card home to do the map updates as it was 1.45 hours on the slower wifi at the MH.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #8

One problem that has occurred to some units is the corruption of the SIM card. If this is the case you will need to get RiverPark, or Entegra to re flash it or replace it. When this happens the following things may occur system crashes/restarts often, or a more bazaar is on routing from point A to B unit routes to you to point C hundreds of miles in the opposite direction. Somewhat comical if you catch it before following the directions and does not give you a lot of confidence.
Larry
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
You guys are good! I just updated mine. I had 424 files that needed updating.

Gary
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe, M&G Braking, Blue Ox Avail
gswindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswindle View Post
You guys are good! I just updated mine. I had 424 files that needed updating.

Gary
Gary, that is what the forum is all about, sharing ideas so everyone benefits. Glad you shared there was a need with 424 update. I hope others will share things that are learned about the new coaches. I'll bet you will find the GPS much smoother in routing now.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
UPDATE:
I just registered the 2019 SD card on my main computer. Just since yesterday there were 22 new updates. It looks like these cards can become outdated very quickly.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I think updated POI's and Construction Zones are also counted in those update totals. I suspect there are changes to those items on a daily basis.

I normally update my card before every trip and get hundreds of updates too...
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #13

That is all good UNLESS you use a Mac. The RM dock software does not play well wit a Mac. You just about have to use a windows base computer or it will not work.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #14

Because of this thread and the fact that I assumed that I would have a reasonably current GPS map and software version, and realizing that might not be the case, I decided to update my SD card today also.

First problem was finding the SD card slot. Looked carefully twice yesterday on all surfaces but the bottom of the XCITE box and never found the slot. This morning, I looked even more carefully and finally found it... for those yet to make this discovery, I have attached a picture of the slot location below. However, in words, on my 19, the box is located on top of the snarl of wires in the fake wood panel on the copilot side of the dash. One surface (pointed toward the curb side of my coach) has a black plastic face with several wire connection into connectors and slots. Down near the bottom of this black plastic side and hidden under one of the connectors, I found the SD card. Push in on the card and it pops out a quarter of an inch or so.

Once I had the card, I first needed to update my Rand-McNally Dock software (seems to be programmed in visual basic). That took 18 files and 86.76 megabytes of downloaded files. Then, not surprisingly, I was told that I needed to update maps. Now, that is interesting, because my software said the download would involve 5.5 gigs of bandwidth, and involve 69 files (why this differs from others is unknown). This took approximately 1 hour and 46 minutes to download using my Verizon MIFI.

Inserted the SD card back in the XCITE control box, turned back on, and so far, booted correctly. I routinely updated my Rand-McNally before each major trip on my 2015 Anthem, but this is my first update on this 19 Cornerstone. This unit/software has been crashing every once in a while for no apparent reason (which is why we always travel with two GPSes running), so hopefully this will resolve the inconsistent performance.

In the image, the SD card is seen still in the holder and with only the blue serial number showing. The other arrow shows the black plastic end of the control box. Oh, and the orange connector and reddish-orange wires beneath it are the Can-Bus junction for the dash area.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xite Contro Box with SD card slot.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	224792  
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps