Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #1

2019 Insignia DEF question

After talking to Entegra they have confirmed what I suspected, there is no DEF filler connection on the drivers side of my 2019 Insignia 44R. That has proven to be a real pain because all of the truck stops that I have been to only have DEF on that side and the only one I have is on the passenger side.
Other than purchasing DEF jugs what else can be done ? I am sure the DEF hoses at the pumps won't reach the other side and I don't think anyone would appreciate if I take the DEF hose from the site next to me and pull it to my coach.
I am now going to start carrying spare jugs of DEF just to fill up the coach.
DEWSOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #2

I have fills on both sides so have not encountered your problem, but I would guess that 80% of people just buy well sealed jugs at Walmart at 2.5 gallons at a time and add it whenever it is needed. That is what I do.... I have never bought DEF from a truck stop pump.

Now, some find a favorite truck stop near home that seems to have little business, and they fill their coach diesel normally gong the correct direction, and then pull out into the yard and turn around and go through the same pump in the reverse direction. That works if the place is not busy, but out on the road, that just is not an acceptable solution to me. So, I almost always carry two 2.5 gallon jugs of WalMart DEF or Blue DEF in the basement and I add it whenever the coach needs it, where-ever I happen to be when I need it. Much less hassle.

Now that I may start using my EFS card for diesel, I might find that I actually use a truck stop DEF pump for the first time..... Wow.... A new experience!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Walmart, $7.88 for a 2.5 gallon jug. Fill at your convenience. I top off the DEF while the DW is putting the groceries away. Easy, inexpensive and convenient.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #4

I'm going to (respectfully) disagree with you, Gary. You dealt with this issue for years with your Anthem, as did I.

Having both fills is convenient, it's true, and I have taken advantage of it in the CS. That being said, when I had the Anthem, Walmart DEF at 7.99 for 2.5 gallons was my solution. I still carry DEF in a jug and rotate it into the coach, tractor, or my Freightliner hauler on occasion to keep it fresh. I do appreciate the two sided fill, though!
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
not a big deal

Like the OP, my Insignia only has DEF fill on the passenger side. As others have posted, I have always purchased 2.5 gallon jugs to fill as needed. The smaller HP engine on the Insignia doesn't use the quantity of DEF that the 600+ HP coaches use so filling from the jugs hasn't been a big deal.

Having heard stories of contaminates from DEF purchased at truck stops fuel pumps, I like the piece of mind that comes with opening a sealed jug when I need the stuff.
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
I'm going to (respectfully) disagree with you, Gary. You dealt with this issue for years with your Anthem, as did I.

Having both fills is convenient, it's true, and I have taken advantage of it in the CS. That being said, when I had the Anthem, Walmart DEF at 7.99 for 2.5 gallons was my solution. I still carry DEF in a jug and rotate it into the coach, tractor, or my Freightliner hauler on occasion to keep it fresh. I do appreciate the two sided fill, though!
I agree. Up to 2017 no Entegras had drivers side fill. We had the drivers side fill on the 2017 and now on the 2020, but I’ve yet to use it although it’s nice to have the option.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #7

Thanks !! I just wanted to check with everybody. I will be heading to WalMart again for another container of DEF.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #8

Speaking of DEF My coach is stored for the winter. DEF is full, it’s stored inside but in a non-heated building. What are my concerns in the spring and how do I make sure I won’t have any DEF issues in the spring.
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
Speaking of DEF My coach is stored for the winter. DEF is full, it’s stored inside but in a non-heated building. What are my concerns in the spring and how do I make sure I won’t have any DEF issues in the spring.
You’ll be fine. I stay in Fl. and in previous years I left my DEF full over the winter and never had a problem. I have since stopped filling it when parked for the winter. If you’re talking about freezing I believe it starts freezing somewhere around 15 degrees, but doesn’t hurt it and that’s probably better than letting it set where it’s warm.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I have left my DEF over the winter with no issues whatsoever, but I now avoid filling until the spring so that the DEF will be fresher when I head out. Either way it makes very little difference, especially in cool weather. Storing DEF in the heat is more of an issue, but even then, not critical.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Buy a DEF refractometer, cheap insurance. Lots of horror stories of people returning boxes of def to Wal Mart filled with water.
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On YouTube I follow a truck driver who has the same problem with the DEF tank on the passenger side.

He pulls in going the wrong way to fill it. Of course he uses a stall that has no trucks lined up.

He also carries several empty DEF containers and fills them at the same time.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #13

Thanks guys yeah I’m storing Indoor in Ohio.
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #14

So should I be refilling the containers at the truck stop or buying new ones every time ?