Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
2020 Cornerstone generator shuts down

Our generator starts fine and runs for few minutes then shuts down. Restarts fine but then shuts down after about a minute, over and over. aplenty of fuel in tank. The power switch on the generator flashs a 1 which is hi temp. it is the only code it flashs. Any experience with this? BTW I have looked for warranty info on how long the warranty is but havent found it. I will call Cummins next.
Heinrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2022, 08:03 AM   #2

Strat the generator again and let it die. Then press the stop button one time. The switch will then begin to flash a code. Short flashes followed by quick flashes. Let me know what that code is please. When was the last time the genset was serviced? Have you checked your coolant level?
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I'll have the same problem if I start the generator in a rest area with hot pavement. Once the MH is moving and not sitting hot pavement, it works fine.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:35 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
Strat the generator again and let it die. Then press the stop button one time. The switch will then begin to flash a code. Short flashes followed by quick flashes. Let me know what that code is please. When was the last time the genset was serviced? Have you checked your coolant level?
It flashs just 1 flash repeatedly, which would be hi temp. I will check again. Coolant level is between the min and max lines.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:35 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrocket View Post
It flashs just 1 flash repeatedly, which would be hi temp. I will check again. Coolant level is between the min and max lines.
Service was just over one year ago.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:46 PM   #6

The radiator is located on the bottom of the genset. Make sure there is nothing obstructing that area. I would recommend getting it into the shop and having it serviced and see if that takes care of your issues. They can also check the cooling system for any issues.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:45 PM   #7

On research there sometime a sensor on top that can cause that condition. Cause was not enough run time a sensor can gum up or plug up something of that nature.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:17 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am following this with interest. I have had no issues with the generator on my 17 or on the 22 coach so far.

We do not dry camp without hookups. At least we have not done this yet. I try to run the generator often when we are on the road. Everything I read says underuse is the biggest problem so we try to do at least 5 or 10 hours a month.

Good Luck.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:18 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Have you checked the breaker on the generator?
SillyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyAnn View Post
Have you checked the breaker on the generator?
I've had the breaker trip on a generator before, and the generator kept on running. It didn't provide any power but it kept running and did not throw any codes, so I doubt this issue is a tripped breaker.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:24 AM   #11

The circuit breaker on the Onan generator itself has nothing to do with the running of the generator. The circuit breaker simply breaks the 120 VAC connection (turns off the voltage to the "house") that the generator makes with the coaches AC plugs and equipment. That CB should not have anything to do with the genny's failure to run.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:25 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
Bobby. On our Genset when the generator dies the switch is flashing the 1 flash sequence which means hi temp. If I then push the switch towards prime once it shuts off the code. If I then push it 3 times the code starts up again. As I read the manual, if the first level code is 3 flashes which is service, then there are likely secondary codes that would be accessed by pushing the Stop/prime switch once. I get no code when I push it once while flashing the hi temp code but since it is not flashing the service code I would not expect a secondary code. This morning when I started the generator it ran for 11 minutes before dieing. That could be long enough to get the temp sensor up to 239F. I plan to test the sensor and check air intake and radiator for airflow, debris etc. I can feel the fan belt by reaching around the rear of the engine
Old 06-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrocket View Post
Service was just over one year ago.
I don't know if you resolved your issue yet, but this happened to us as well. We were getting a single flashing light to indicate overheating, but the fluid level looked okay.

Finally got to Cummins last Friday and the issue for us was a clamp that was not tightened enough from the build and our coolant was low even though fluid level in the recovery tank showed it in the acceptable range. He tightened the clamp and poured in over a half of a jug of coolant in and then let it run for an hour with a full load.

We had it serviced last November, but this wasn't detected.
All is fine for us now.
SillyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyAnn View Post
I don't know if you resolved your issue yet, but this happened to us as well. We were getting a single flashing light to indicate overheating, but the fluid level looked okay.

Finally got to Cummins last Friday and the issue for us was a clamp that was not tightened enough from the build and our coolant was low even though fluid level in the recovery tank showed it in the acceptable range. He tightened the clamp and poured in over a half of a jug of coolant in and then let it run for an hour with a full load.

We had it serviced last November, but this wasn't detected.
All is fine for us now.
This is a common problem.
Everyone should check that clamp
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator