Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #1

2020 Cornerstone transfer/firefly errors

I am looking for help with the communication between the transfer switch and the firefly system.

I can only get voltage/ampere readings on the generator not shore power.

After the finger pointing stopped Eddie at NIRVC Lewisville got the Engineers of firefly and the transfer switch company to start talking to each other, but unfortunately they can not figure it out.

They have changed the transfer switch out four times. (believe it or not)
checked the cat 6 cabling. updated the firefly ( FYI older transfer switches does not communicate with firefly.) the folks at the transfer switch company are really no help. ( no name to protect myself .)

Lastly, I have owned this coach since December of 2019.
to my dismay I have had it in my possession less than four months

I pray that there is a Tech or someone that out there that can turn my nightmare back into a dream.
Nozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Had I the same communication error on the 19 on the way to NIRVC to make the exchange. Thankfully Larry had made this post just a couple of weeks before I left. I was able to jiggle the CAT 5 cable where it plugs into the transfer switch to finally get the generator recognized as the power source. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ele...-500071-2.html

The connection cable, inside as Larry showed, and outside with the CAT5 cable has happened before with others, including me.
Hope this helps, I know it frustrating.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #3

To add to Chuck's comments, look at the first photo in this post...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ele...ml#post5380006

...and you'll see a short two-wire orange cable coming out of the right side of the bottom of the transfer switch. That cable is what allows the transfer switch to communicate with your Firefly VegaTouch system. If you or the service techs who've work on the problem haven't replaced that cable (even if it appears to be good), that is definitely the next thing that needs to be done. (Given that the transfer switch has been changed four times, it’s pretty certain the transfer switch ISN’T the problem!)

Also, as I recall, there are two ports in the bottom of the transfer switch. I don’t know if it makes any difference which port the cable connects to, but if replacing the cable doesn’t solve the problem, have them try plugging the new cable into the other port.

Your post says they “checked the Cat 6 cabling.” The short cable referred to in my post linked above is only part of the Cat 6 cabling between the transfer switch and the Firefly VegaTouch system. That short cable connects to more Cat 6 cabling that run who-knows-where. If the short cable has been replaced and it’s been verified that it’s plugged into the correct port on the transfer switch but the problem is still present, there is probably a crimp or break in the cabling upstream from the transfer switch.

That could be hard to find, but I’d definitely start with replacing the short cable. As noted in my post linked above. The crimping of the wires on my short cable wasn’t very well done.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you’re able to learn.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Also it took me 20 minutes of trial and error of pushing and twisting the CAT cable in a rest area to finally get voltage to turn the roof AC's on. It continued to work overnight and into the next day as I never shut the generator off.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Good afternoon Nozark,

I read your post a bit ago, and started digging in. I’m sick at the thought you’ve only had use of your coach for four months!

FEIW, I think the world of Eddie Braley! He, and Todd Springs were the first two employees I hired when starting this company. And, I’m sure he will fight the fight to get to the bottom of this. Like you, the finger pointing in this industry drives me crazy!

In the meantime, I reached out to Ted Cook at Entegra a few minutes ago, and am passing on to you what he passed onto Eddie and myself. I won’t even pretend to be in Ted’s, Chuck’s, or Larry’s league when it comes to being mechanical. Heck, I don’t even know which end of a screwdriver to hold. However, as a coach owner of 36 years, and a full timer since 2013, his explanation makes perfect sense to me. Ted pointed out one possible problem he’s seen a number of times, but at the risk of butchering it, I’ll copy and paste Ted’s text to Eddie, and myself:

“Eddie, if you have one of these close by, remove the transfer switch cover and send me a picture. I have found several that they put the ‘amp readers’ on the wrong wires, so it only reads the generator and not the unit. Simple as this sounds, I have found this to be overlooked by many. One indication is the firefly says shore power, so it reads where the source is, but doesn’t read the amps, but does on the generator, this is what I look for. Hope this helps. I also would not mind helping you out on a unit, do you have one in your shop at this time? Ted”

FYI, Eddie is currently out of town for the weekend celebrating his wife’s birthday, but I’m sure Eddie will be all over this Monday morning. I’m sorry about all the aggravation this has caused you in the past. I’m extremely empathetic. However, going forward we will get to the bottom of this, and get you and your family back to enjoying this wonderful lifestyle.

All the best,
Brett Davis
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
BrettDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Brett, thank you for bringing the magician in on Nozark's problem. If anybody has the experience or can find the answer, it will be Ted Cook. I am sure Ted Cook will be the answer to his prayer.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #7

Makes sense that the Vega touch cable is in the wrong outlet. On the 2017 Anthem you can see in the wire diagram for the CAN system for the Vega touch that there is only one cable that senses the transfer switch, regardless if it is powered by gen set or shore power. Since it is sensing the generator but not the shore power, its prob not plugged in the right outlet.

Best of luck.

Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7AEEB4EF-1EEF-4565-B0C0-D65257FC00C6.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	322814  
737 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #8

From the transfer switch the cable goes to the red Terminating Drop tap. On my Anthem, that Drop Tap is located in the basement cabinet where the BIM switch, house power relay, and several other electronic devices are located. This cabinet is right next to all the cut out switches in the basement on the passenger side.

Tor
737 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:19 PM   #9

You guys are amazing
I have a meeting with Eddie and his crew on Tuesday.
I believe with your input they will get this issue repaired.

Thank you for your time
May your travels bring you the dreams I have endured.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:39 PM   #10

Please keep us posted.

I'll second Brett's comments regarding Ted Cook, Eddie Braley and Todd Springs. Three of the finest (and smartest) individuals in the RV industry.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:12 AM   #11

Nozark:

Hang in and continue to be optimistic. These beasts are a potential ball of problems. Sometimes you begin to wonder when the fun and enjoyment is going to start. I have owned an Anthem and a Cornerstone and believe they are both wonderful coaches, but if you asked me to honestly list the problems I have had over the roughly 7 years I have owned those two coaches, you would be simply amazed. With my Anthem, once it got to be about 18 months old, it became a pretty reliable coach that I could take on a 3 month trip and not spend time in a repair shop. Exactly the same situation with my Cornerstone. So, as complex as these coaches are, there are going to be problems, early and late in ownership. However, it does get better and you will have fewer and fewer problems......

You have good people involved in getting this resolved. Although its annoying to not have all the data you are supposed to have, it doesnt sound like you are in the "dark" right now. I know Eddie fairly well because he and his crew have resolved more than a couple of problems for me. But they have been resolved. Its a good organization.

Sometimes it seems like things dont happen soon enough... we are living in these things, for heaven sake, and sometimes you begin to wonder about the decision, but hang in and things will get resolved.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #12

Hallelujah

The gang at NIRVC at Lewisville are my hero's
Thanks to EDDIE< PAUL< PETE< MATT

Your never gave up and your patients is beyond appreciated.

These guys opened up the Entega and Sure Guard school book and thru it away. after changing out the transfer switch (to many times _ and checking all connections as well as firefly updates.
Sure Guard failed to tell anybody that there software needed to be updated as well to match the new update of fiefly

Let it be known if you update any software that all systems will recognize the new firmware

We are one the road again and Pete thank you for talking me off the cliff

Thanks to all for your input

Larry
Old 05-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #13

Larry

Congratulations on getting it figured out.

Can you summarize what the problem ended up being and what needed to be done to get it all working and you on the go.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire