Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #1

2022 Cornerstone

We will soon be taking delivery of a 2022 Cornerstone. What should we expect during the first few months regarding maintenance needs, time in shop, etc? The Cornerstone does not seem to come with a ladder. How do others conduct roof inspection without a ladder; or even accessing the roof to maintain the AC units, clear off debris, etc? Does the roof need sealing each year or is it good for a few years with no maintenance?
Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

The ladder is simple. Look for a ladder that folds four times. I have used a ladder from Harbor Freight that was 13' fully extended. (I now use a more expensive 13' ladder (it really is very similar to the Harbor Freight which was a good deal less money). The "Little Giant" (or similar is safe and heavy duty) when folded into its smallest size, will ride very nicely on its side in the last passenger basement compartment of an Entegra and is tall enough to let you safely step from the ladder to the roof (and return). Easy.... not a big issue.

The roof should be fine and is warranted to not leak for 2 years. After that, some tape the roof.... I never have and have never had problems but with age, I am sure that I will, just like all of us with a house will discover.

And congrats on the new coach and please become a constant inhabitant to this forum. We all profit from your questions and from you answers to do all of us a favor and haunt this forum.

Gary

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
The ladder is simple. Look for a ladder that folds four times. I have used a ladder from Harbor Freight that was 13' fully extended. (I now use a more expensive 13' ladder (really is very similar to the Harbor Freight which was a good deal less money). The Little Giant when folded into its smallest size, will ride very nicely on its side in the last passenger basement compartment of an Entegra and is tall enough to let you safely step from the ladder to the roof (and return). Easy.... not a big issue.

The roof should be fine and is warranted to not leak for 2 years. After that, some tape the roof.... I never have and have never had problems but with age, I am sure that I will, just like all of us with a house will discover.

And congrats on the new coach and please become a constant inhabitant to this forum. We all profit from your questions and from you answers to do all of us a favor and haunt this forum.

Gary

Gary

Gary - Have you ever used the telescoping type ladders?

I have this ladder that I have used since 2018
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

It does "ok", but I am curious if the folding type is better. Someone that has used both might be able to answer that.

I personally "hate"---HATE climbing up ladders. This one at least extends several feet above the top, and gives a good hand hold when transitioning. Still prefer a good scaffold, but that is just too hard to carry.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #4

No,,,, I have never thought of buying one of those. Of course, I did consider it as one of the options initially, but I dumped the idea for four reasons. 1.) the ones I considered seemed flimsy at the top. 2.) my memory is that they were a good deal more expensive to get a sturdy one, and 3.) there have been reports of them collapsing on people unexpectedly, and 4.) they appeared to me to be bulkier and heavier than the four fold to store in the basement.

On a coach as tall as an Entegra Class A, I would NEVER consider a ladder that is less than 14'6"' tall. I want something to have my hands on to steady me as I step from the ladder to the roof and reverse.

All the major ladder manufacturers sell the equivalent of the Little Giant ladder and occasionally they come on sale at Home Depot and Lowes for about $125 - $250. That is what I own now. rarely needed but when needed, indispensable. !!

Gary
Old 10-28-2021, 02:27 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've used a Little Giant for more than 10 years

The flexibility to use it like a conventional step ladder, in addition to a lean against a wall ladder makes it fit my needs much better.

Also, some Little Giant ladders come equipped with a 'leg leveler' that makes them usable on unlevel terrain.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. It's more difficult each passing year to maintain my 'ladder privileges'. I may have a lightly used Little Giant for sale after my upcoming hip replacement surgery.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok--I am sold on getting a little giant.

I am concerned with the 14' max reach, as my current ladder is a 15.5 max reach, with about 2ft sticking over the roof of the Dutch star for a grip.

My new LA will be a little taller than the Dutch Star, so I want to plan for safety.

If I go with the 17' max reach, can it lock into a position that is less by a foot or so? I am not sure how "adjustable" these things are.

Gary -- your comment about the ladder not locking into place is what has me looking for a new solution now. It has never happened to me, but I can see that it is a design flaw and weakness in the ladder, and one day it will happen to me.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:31 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There's a long thread here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/lit...-514084-7.html that addresses your Little Giant questions. I think the link drops you onto the thread at about post #90.

Be aware that there are many iterations of virtually identical ladders; ladders that, unless you look very carefully at the features and specific model number, it's very easy to get something that lacks a feature that you want.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I've used both the little giant and a top of the line telescopic ladder. At my weight I found the little giant a little flimsy, scary, as I got up halfway. The telescopic feels sturdier and more stable. It also has a smaller footprint to store in the bay. I've had both knees and hips replaced. Since those surgeries I've had no problem climbing either ladder. It's also easier to cushion the telescopic with foam 'noodles' to protect the top of the coach than with the little giant. JMHO
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Chi View Post
We will soon be taking delivery of a 2022 Cornerstone. What should we expect during the first few months regarding maintenance needs, time in shop, etc? The Cornerstone does not seem to come with a ladder. How do others conduct roof inspection without a ladder; or even accessing the roof to maintain the AC units, clear off debris, etc? Does the roof need sealing each year or is it good for a few years with no maintenance?

Folks, The OP asked about time in shop expectations in addition to ladder or rather roof access.
Road-Chi, I do not have a cornerstone but my experience is the first 'trip' should be at the delivery site. I mean if you are staying at the selling dealer a few days I would take the time to break down 'camp' and drive 50 miles every day then return and setup again in the dealers spot for you. That will do two major things (lots of minor ones) and those are: more quickly expose punch down items that can be addressed while still 'taking delivery' and get you more familiar with Entegra's nuances. (like slides out at ride height)

If you take delivery on a monday and can stay the whole week do so. that would give you tues-thurs AM to get a punch list and questions together that can be addressed hopefully thurs PM and friday AM.
Generator needs first oil change at 50 hours so if the Genny has been run and is in the 30+ hours have them change that oil the initial time.
Spartan has a maintenance list for the chassis that starts with a 5K mile list and proceeds from there. That list is accessible from the Spartan Connect app.

Allison on the transmission has a similar app but theirs does NOT contain maintenance schedules. If memory serves transmission maintenance is a long time out.
My experience is shop days if parts are accessible are pretty short. and for us in 18 months and parts accessible we have been in for maybe 3 weeks total.
Entegra is really good at authorizing remote RV techs as well. We had to have a slide adjusted and they authorized a mobile tech we paid him and the reimbursement check arrived way before we completed that trip.

I am sure some fellow Cornerstone owners will chime in as well.

Safe travels
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #10

With both coaches I have boght from NIRVC, I have had an understanding with my salesman that I am going to stay in the coach an additional 3or 4 days after my ****ll day walk through introduction and walk through with the dealers delivery tech. My Anthem was a quantum leap forward in technology from my 01 Dynasty and it took all day to do the delivery. Entegra pays the dealer for a full day of the delivery tech to be with you and I have taken the full day on both the Anthem and the Cornerstone. During that delivery day, I always find a number of things that are either not right, or the delivery dealer missed, or I find that was not part of the itemized delivery pre-check and once those are found, then they are fixed within a few hours.

I also have stayed on their lot another 3 or 4 days beyond the delivery day and then with the Anthem, I went to an RV park about 20 miles away from the dealer and spent a whole week in the coach to find out all the little things that were new or I needed to ask about.

NIRVC understands all that.. I bought my used Dynasty at MHSRV and they did not understand all of that, plus their essentially seemed not to have much of repair department at the time. Not impressed.

Gary
Old 10-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #11

Gary and Jeff -- Your ideas are appreciated. We now plan to get a good ladder and also implement your suggestions about the learning/debugging period with the dealer during the delivery phase. Thanks much
Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Chi View Post
Gary and Jeff -- Your ideas are appreciated. We now plan to get a good ladder and also implement your suggestions about the learning/debugging period with the dealer during the delivery phase. Thanks much

Someone on here has a REALLY exhaustive delivery checklist that would be an extremely useful guide of systems to check and understand. I am sure you can search pre delivery checklist + entegra above in the search bar to get a link to the copy.
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #13

When we got our Newmar King Aire I bought a telescoping ladder. I had bought a Little Giant® the very first they were made and love it but it is heavy and takes up a lot of space. I made ladder Guards out of poll noodle to protect the paint and set it between the slides to use.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Now that the ladder subject has been well covered, on to the delivery question. Try to spend at least 4 days at the dealers using and going over everything. On my 21, I planned on spending 4 days, turned out I needed 7 for items not installed correctly from the factory. It has been one year.... outside of a bad DEF sensor, I have not needed to go back into a shop as NIRVC took care of everything on the delivery. Taking the time to get everything take care of at delivery will make all the difference in the first year of ownership. JME.

I do have several Spartan recalls and TSB, but I have not rushed to get them taken care of until they slow down then I'll get them all take care of a one time.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote