Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2022, 08:23 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
21 Cornerstone dashboard -Blank

On the way through Canada along the Alaskan highway desperately trying to get to anchorage so I can get to a Cummins dealer to start the process of getting the valid electronic dash board replaced. The entire dashboard is black. Went out the day we entered Canada. Nothing to see except a blank screen.

No fuel gauge, no speedometer, no engine instruments, No odometer. Strange feeling not having all the things we unknowingly get a comfort factor of having.

Already spoke to Spartan and went through the trouble shooting process. Now Cummins needs to verify the coach mileage via a computer connection. They will call the info into Spartan. Spartan will then source a new dash panel from valid. The correct mileage will be programmed into the new dash and sent up to anchorage. Then Cummins will install the new dash. The bad part is that the coach will be immobilized at Cummins in Alaska while waiting for new dash. 7-10 day process once we get the appointment with an authorized Cummins repair shop.

This new coach shakedown period has been miserable. There have been countless issues ( mainly electronic) with the new coach that we are starting to question if a simpler coach may have been a better fit.

Now we are stuck in fort Nelson, BC Canada. The Alaskan highway had washed out ahead and it is impassable 200 miles ahead of us. 900 mile detour if they can’t get it fixed soon.

Rv life is always an adventure.
TampaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #2

The washout and repair are " under assessment " ; which I believe is Government speak for " what the { self edit } do we do now ".

It will not be a quick fix .
If you do have to attempt the detour , any hope of a side trip to Edmonton or a shop in Prince George that could help with the repair ?

Details of fuel stops on the detour route are being posted on this thread , last pages.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f295/alas...-a-551743.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drone photo 3 .jpg
Views:	24
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	370094  
Old 07-04-2022, 09:00 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I have a Spartan Recall on my 21 dash. Sounds like it is serious. I need to get mine in and have the recall done. Thanks for letting us know, it is serious.
Did you receive the recall on yours?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the recall completed a few months ago. My dash would momentarily blink out maybe 5 times for 10 seconds prior to the recall work. The recall seemed to stop the blinking out issue. Not sure if the new problem is linked to the recall work or not.

We have family flying up to anchorage to share some time with us. So heading back to Edmonton and taking a 7-10 day delay wouldn’t work for us. Better to take the delay in anchorage and take the family to a hotel, then to stand them up!

Hoping that the Canadian government can throw up a temporary bridge rather quickly. Very hopeful!
Old 07-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #5

Our 2022 CS dash went blank on our way home from taking delivery. Spartan overnighter a new dash to the dealer and it was installed the next day. So far, after about 3,000 miles and 5 months, the new dash has worked great.
Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:33 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Bob,
Thank you for the not so encouraging update. Good luck on getting yours fixed that far from home.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:37 AM   #7

Bob

So sorry to read about your problems, however my experience is that problems, serious ones, are often early in coach ownership with is doubly bad as that is when you are most eager to get about using your new purchase and getting benefit of all that planning and expense.

Hopefully, they will get you going quickly, but it always ruins plans and is a major disappointment when things are not going as they should.

My experience is that things get better with time.... and hope that you initial problems will stop and you will get the rest of the trip done the way you planned. The difference of my experience is that I would not have even considered such a major trip until my coach was several years old and I knew that I had most of the serious problems resolved.

Hang in and keep us abreast of your situation.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:38 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bob, Sorry you are having trouble. It has got to be a real stressful driving without your digital dash.

I have a BlueFire adapter that plugs into the coach’s maintenance port under the steering wheel. That connects via Bluetooth to a tablet, phone, or laptop. It gives you more info than the digital dash but includes much of the dash info as well depending on the view you have selected. I sometimes play around with that when my wife drives.

I am not sure if that would even work if the dash is down. I suspect it would.

Good Luck Bob.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:46 PM   #9

BC ; MOT still not giving a timeline , still accessing ; if I was betting I would say highway closure will be weeks . Only option would perhaps be a logging road ; if there is one , with a bridge , over that river , strong enough for highway traffic.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:09 PM   #10

News is that I lost the bet .

Just on news that a single lane detour has been opened up ; no details on length of detour or road condition ( gravel ?) , just single lane , pilot car , alternating . Expect delays .

EDIT : Info says leaves highway North bound at KM 897 and rejoins at KM 900 but no info on exactly how long the detour is , no map available .
Old 07-05-2022, 06:32 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone for the knowledge and words of encouragement. We are continuing today and will let you know how the detour goes.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:02 AM   #12

If you have an old iPad or android tablet lying around get a BlueFire for motorhomes And you can have a second set of guages (that can show a lot of other things also).

https://bluefire-llc.com/store

The adapter is 180 bucks but the dash and trip logging with fault history is really worth it.
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBob View Post
Thanks everyone for the knowledge and words of encouragement. We are continuing today and will let you know how the detour goes.
For those of us that are grounded this season, your adventure from the arm chair is one of the best going so far. Skip's photo post made it all come to life. WOW! Good luck with the adventure and keep us posted.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:38 PM   #14

I have to confess to using this thread to my own selfish advantage. Our 2018 Cornerstone is currently on consignment at NIRVC in Phoenix. One of the individuals out there has been telling me it might take some time to get a deal done because everybody wants the digital dash which debuted with the 2019's.

Yeah, I sent him a link to this thread...
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dashboard