Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #15

So far the only time I've used mine was in my father in laws driveway. He was nice enough to install a 50amp outlet so I bought the cord to reach.

I may not use it often but I have it now and it's not in the way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
50 Amp Extension Cord

Carry a 30a extension cord, 25-30' I think. Only use it very infrequently. Cheaper to buy and lighter to carry.

Also carry a heavy gauge 100' regular extension cord. This I have used to reach to friends houses when visiting. Also use at home to plug in the coach when not in its usual parking spot for some reason or another.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
A few years ago I uses two ext. cords a 25' and 30' for approx. 2 wks. I had to replace starting capacitor in both air conditioners. Other that starting cap. no other problems and both ac appear to be ok now. Was it caused by ext cords???
If your cord was a good #6 wire cord, I doubt it caused your problem. #6 wire is good for 45A up to 90', 30A up to 140', with <3% voltage drop. That's on each leg. You just need to take reasonable precautions and not run everything at once like the coffee maker, microwave, and hair drier while both AC's are on.

I carry 50' cord that I made from 6-4 SO cable. I like SO cable for it's durability and flexibility. I have used it on numerous occasions at race venues and my uncle's ranch. I also carry a 10' extension that was used to plug in at home for my previous 5th wheel. It has also came in handy when I just needed a few feet extra.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
It really depends on your RV Park and campground preferences. 99% of the time you will never need an extension cord of any type.

For me and my RV lifestyle I carry a 30 foot SOOW (Very flexible) 50 amp extension cord and a 30 foot 30 amp extension cord.

I have had to use ALL of them twice. Once while parked at a school in Eagle River AK for the summer as their Camp Host back in 2010 and the second time is currently where my coach is parked at my beach house in Florida. We just moved into the house a month ago and I have to get an electrician to install a 30 amp box at the rear of the property plus a 50 amp box at the corner of the RV carport.

Until then I am using a 20 amp outlet just to run one A/C, fridge and to keep the batteries charged.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #19

When I parked at my brother in law's, I needed my 50 amp ext cord and it came in handy..also came in handy when I had to park in overflow area at Raleigh campgrounds...however this coach won't fit in brother in laws driveway anymore....Note when you get to NIRVC..they will have an extension for you to plug in..also have 30/20 cheater box ... had to use it once but it's good to have.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #20

We also have never had to use an extension cord. We do carry a 50 to 30 reducer though.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
I carry a 25' 50A extension and use it often because my retractable cord doesn't reach the 50A receptacle in my garage. I've also had to use it when I was dry camping at Sebring Intl Raceway and the building I was close to had a 50A circuit that I could attach to. None of the "regular" RV campgrounds have presented a problem, but you don't carry the extension cord for the regular situations.

Greg
classicalgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Bought a 50' 50amp cord via walmart.com. Couldn't find it cheaper.
While mine is 30A, I, too, have found the best price at Walmart.

I have a 30' 30A extension cord that I use when I have the generator in the bed of the truck, I extend the regular cord into the extension to the back of the truck...I have about 10' or so left over. I use it that way when I boondock so I don't have to get the genny out of the truck.

Its tough, though, when you want to keep the trailer cool while you go to town for dinner...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #23

Since my wife goes to horse events where there is not always convenient parking we have and use two 30 foot cords and a 15 footer together. They are the heavy expensive ones and as such don't expect a power drop any more than what's in the wall.
hikndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #24

I made my own 40 foot 50 amp cable and have had to use it.

Sent from somewhere in the USA
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #25

Whatever you buy, be sure it is the highly flexible type of cable (there are huge differences). I got a 30' heavy duty 50A cable from a friend of mine who sold his coach and the darn thing is as stiff as a board. Luckily, I use it here at the S&B and have it laid out beside the coach (covered with a piece of PVC irrigation pipe ripped lengthwise, and there it stays. However, the 30 or 50A that you take with you ideally needs to be the flexible type which can be easily coiled and stored in the basement.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #26
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchdog View Post
Hello to all and thank you in advance!

What do you recommend as far as length for an extension cord?

We are busy gathering stuff as our coach is officially on it's way to NIRVC!

Chris & Barb
Key West, FL
2017 Cornerstone 45B on it's way for delivery!
Have only needed mine when staying at The Resort in Mesa, AZ where power is at the very end of of the site on the passenger side. This is one of literally dozens of parks we've visited. I'd wait to buy if I were you. You may never need it.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I carry 50' and 100' 20 amp cords, two 30' 30 amp cords and a 30' 50 amp cord, plus the one in the Glendenning tub. Even then I couldn't reach the closest outlet at one dog show we were vending at.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

Whatever you buy, be sure it is the highly flexible type of cable (there are huge differences).
The protective casing should say SOOW on the outside along the edge.

The 'S' in SOOW cable means “Service.” For portable cords that begin with an S but are NOT followed by a J, the voltage rating is 600 volts. The 'OO' means the cable has oil resistant insulation and jacketing. The 'W' means the cable is weather and water resistant.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote