Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
50 Amp site only showing 30 amp shore power

Any info would be appreciated. We have a 50 amp site that shows 115 VAC on each power leg. However the Vegatouch only shows 30 amp shore power on screen and we see the insufficient power message when we try to run multiple AC's.

Everything was fine at our last site. The progressive industries surge protector shows voltage on L1 & L2. Vegatouch shows voltage on each leg as well. Running generator and everything comes up as normal.

We feel that it may be a campsite problem, but also wonder what would cause this if coach related.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Sounds like a power pedastal issue at the campground. Can you read 230vac across L1-L2, then solid 115 across L1 to ground, L2 to ground? Check for floating neutral as well:
"Power flow entering in one Phase returns through remaining two phases. Neutral Point is not at ground Level but it Float up to Line Voltage. This situation can be very dangerous and customers may suffer serious electric shocks if they touch something where electricity is present."

So check for any voltage between neutral to ground.
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
50 Amp site only showing 30 amp shore power

Double check that all the breakers are turned on in RV panel. Many systems utilize specific breakers on each leg to determine 30 vs 50 amp.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Thatís exactly what happened to me. I turned off the W/D breaker as I had removed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Double check that all the breakers are turned on in RV panel. Many systems utilize specific breakers on each leg to determine 30 vs 50 amp.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
Any info would be appreciated. We have a 50 amp site that shows 115 VAC on each power leg. However the Vegatouch only shows 30 amp shore power on screen and we see the insufficient power message when we try to run multiple AC's.

Everything was fine at our last site. The progressive industries surge protector shows voltage on L1 & L2. Vegatouch shows voltage on each leg as well. Running generator and everything comes up as normal.

We feel that it may be a campsite problem, but also wonder what would cause this if coach related.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sounds like the the problems Capt Steve had last summer. Turned out the communication cable to the transfer switch had come loose. The Vega touch defaulted to 30 amps and only ran one AC. All three ran on the generator. I'd take a look at that connection if I were you. Its above or behind the power cord reel. Little black wire with a flat type of connection.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Jeanne, that was the info I was looking for and could not remember where I saw it. The good news is that in this case the problem turned out to be the pedestal. Plugged into another site and all was fine.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
Thanks Jeanne, that was the info I was looking for and could not remember where I saw it. The good news is that in this case the problem turned out to be the pedestal. Plugged into another site and all was fine.
Great, glad you are up and running.

What was wrong with the pedestal? Obviously something that the progressive unit could not or did not give any warning of.??
Old 07-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Great, glad you are up and running.

What was wrong with the pedestal? Obviously something that the progressive unit could not or did not give any warning of.??
My guess is the person that wired it up did not do it correctly and instead of each leg being on separate phases. IE 240V between L1 & L2. The had them on the same phase so if you checked between L1 & L2 it would show 0V
Old 07-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
My guess is the person that wired it up did not do it correctly and instead of each leg being on separate phases. IE 240V between L1 & L2. The had them on the same phase so if you checked between L1 & L2 it would show 0V
So if you follow this diagram, and any test results differ, its a problem with the pedestal.?

I've never had a pedestal issue but its good to know what to look for instead of tearing the coach apart trying to fix something that isn't broke..! Especially if the Progressive unit isn't showing any faults. Wouldn't you think it should tell you there is an issue?
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Jeanne - that is a good image to save - easy and clear.
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The pedestal had a 50 amp receptible , but they simply bridged the L1 & L2 legs so only 30 amps, but naturally the surge protect was okay with that and not showing an error. The park had hired one of the campers to wire a few sites and he did this on several of them.

The electrician they had today understood pulled new 4 wire cables between several sites and corrected the problem.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #12

Ok so the progressive unit thought it was plugged into a 30 amp pigtail adapter and didnít see a problem with that. Is that a correct assumption?
Old 07-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #13

Well this leads me to one more question. Did the pedestal have a 50 amp double pole breaker feeding that 50 amp plug?
Old 07-16-2020, 06:34 AM   #14

Looks like besides a hookup wiring issue it was not enough wires ran issue.

When your Vega touch sees that the coach does not have 240v between the legs of the power cord it assumes 30 amp power.

While I was reading this thread it hit me that if they had wired a 50 amp plug with only 1 phase on both legs it would allow the neutral wire to see more then 50 amps it would be overloaded and possible melt the insulation and burn up.

Tags
power, shore power