Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory0495 View Post
Make sure you put the air recycle on your a/c. So you truck won't smell like rubber inside.
My Jeep Liberty always had the burnt rubber smell after towing, the Tacoma...none. I still haven't figured that one out.

Lynn, others have already said it, watch your inside mirror and make your first couple of turns wide until you are use to the toad. It will become second nature after awhile. Don't backup with the tow bar, they do break.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-16_13-02-19_907.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	85773  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The burnt rubber smell comes from all the rubber shards being kicked up off the road and sticking to your toad's under-hood exhaust components. Once you fire up the toad they smell like burnt rubber until you burn them off after 15 minutes or so.

Our Grand Cherokee tended to smell but our Wranglers, not so much, especially the 2005 TJ with the inline six. I believe the difference lies in how the air intake is with each toad. Our Wranglers are up fairly high, have a flat front end and lots of skid plates so they really don't smell because they don't suck up many rubber particles. If I towed our '72 Javelin-AMX with chin spoiler it would probably stink really bad because it would suck up everything on the road.

Although usually the burning rubber smell comes from the rear tires when I drive that vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amxburn.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	85777  
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Very nice Mark My kinda smoke
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
How much do all the equipment cost? (Basically everything needed to tow)
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyalRV View Post
I'm not sure yet ... still working on it ...after all is said and done, I'll be happy to let you know!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyalRV View Post
It will depend on which equipment you purchase. On mine:
ReadyBrute tow bar with built in brake system $983. http://www.amazon.com/NSA-RV-Product.../dp/B00IK56P1U
Break away brake system $100. for above system

Base Plate (Blue Ox) depending on Vehicle $350.-$450. Add labor if not a DIY

Light connecting cord $35-$65.00

Light wiring Kit for toad $35. plus labor if not DIY. Shops charge about $100.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVUS101 View Post
Lynn, who are you using to install the Air force one system?
Allstar RV Repair in Robertsdale, AL. I've gotten to know Randy Lewis (owner) pretty well over the last couple of years with my Excursion. Randy's group hasn't installed many of them, so I sent Randy the link that Voltdoc gave us for installing AFO on a Spartan chassis. I trust that Randy will read the blog and will do it the right way. He is suggesting that I go with Demco tow bar and base plate. He said he has always had good luck with them. Getting the AFO from a place in Indiana for $1,199.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #22

Looks like we are going with the Blue OX. base plate, tow bar, and Patriot brake system.

This will be my first time with any tow equipment and my first time towing.

Time will tell if I made the right decision. I will be very careful on my first few travels with tow.
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #23

Relax - you will be fine. Your posts here suggest you are cautious and cognizant of the risks. Once you get into the routine you won't even know the toad is back there.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #24

Lynn

I run the Demco Excali-Bar which is an excellent all steel, 10,000# system, which is a seriously strong tow bar. It is also very easy to use, to hitch, and lock. I am only towing a Honda CR-V which is only about 33500#, but the process will be similar. I also use the Air Force One system. I can connect the toad and do a full hook up easily in 3 or 4 minutes, (usually much less). Here are the important things to remember.

.5) You will get a black plastic cap to cover the brass pneumatic connector on the toad and another on the front of the truck. The one on the coach is a big connector and the the one on the coach is a smaller connector. It is very important to ALWAYS put the plastic connector covers on when you are not towing so that dirt and debris does not get in the connector. I keep the covers in the coin tray of my toad when connected to the coach, and as soon as I remover the pneumatic line from coach to toad when done towing, the caps go on, and the pneumatic line (and break away line) go in the console of the toad. Take one thing off and put the other thing on, then reverse. Also, always pull back on the air line connectors when you have it inserted. It will insert sometimes but not fully catch, and then drop off and drag on the road if it is not fully latched. Simply, push in, then pull back firmly to ensure it has seated. I learned this lesson once... never again.

1.) You NEVER are going to back up when towing your truck. NEVER!! Don't make a turn unless you are sure that you have the swing to make the turn. If you find that you made a mistake, you get out, unhook the toad and you then finish the turn with the coach and do whatever it takes with the toad. My focus when towing is ALWAYS, "Can I make the turn easily without worrying about the toad?".

2.) The reason that you virtually never back up up is that the toad will jack-knife very quickly, or the toad steering wheels will turn sharply and you will be trying to push the front of the car some direction it does not want to go. I watched a fellow two weeks ago try to back up with a toad on grass 2 or 3 feet and his jeep steer tires went to full lock in about a foot. I saw another guy back up about 3 car lengts which is the longest I have seen, but he was pulling his toad in a straight line, and he was doing it on a hard surface, and he never moved the steering wheel on the coach. I have done it successfully about a car length. However, ONLY when the coach and toad were in a perfectly straight line.

3.) Your truck may track shorter than my Honda CR-V. I have found that my Honda will essentially follow my rear tires in the same track. You can see it when you turn, but I don't need to worry about where the tires are going to run... If I don't hit something with my rear dual/tag, then I am not going to hit it with either tire of the toad.

4.) I always research my stops by using Google earth satellite or street view if I can. If I can't, then I try to research the Park or State Park or whatever by Googling the destination. My DW uses TripAdvisor or RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks and gets a lot of good information about what we may encounter before we go. For example, about a month ago we were going to spend 4 days at LeFluer State Park. In her research, several people said that the entrance past the park ranger office was tight with metal gate poles close to the road. Further, the entrance road had a much sharper turn than the exit road. So, I decided to stop short of the park entrance by 100 yards, and shed the toad so I could do the entrance by myself. Also, several people suggested that you use the exit road rather than the entrance road since the turn was less sharp. I did that. It was GOOD ADVICE. On the way out, the DW drove the toad until outside park, and then I hooked up after all the tight turns were done.

5.) Sharp, hard, tight turns at slow speeds are hard on the tow bar and the toad. When you are making small corrections at 60 MPH, the stress on the toad is minimal. But if you get yourself in a tight situation and have to go full lock on the turn at 2 or 5 MPH, you are really putting a lot of stress on the whole system. It is designed to do that, but be aware of it. Also, remember that the hitch end of your coach is 8 to 10' behind your tag axle, so when you turn the coach left, the rear end of the coach actually swings slightly to the right first and then to the left. If you watched your toad closely in the rear view camera, you will see it turn slightly the wrong way, and then the right way. This is also why I never put the tires right up to the curb in a parking lot or street and then turn hard to get the coach away from the curb, as you are pushing the toad up tight against the curb for a short distance as the rear of your coach actually swings toward the curb.

All in all, it is not hard and not much to worry about. It is why you want the toad braking system. There is a lot of weight back there and in a panic stop situation, that RAM is trying to push you through the intersection or stop.

One more thing. This is why I don't drive 70 or 75 when pulling the toad. I am quite concerned about road debris. A thrown truck retread is no big deal for our diesel pushers to clear in many cases, but it is a real bear for a Honda CR-V to clear after the coach clears it (think exhaust system). I drive about 62 MPH. Its great for fuel efficiency and mileage, and almost everyone passes me and keeps on going, which means that I have lots of visual field in seeing what is coming up in front of me. Also, follow even further behind the vehicle in front of you than you do now, as the added weight, even with the air force one, means that you don't want to make any panic stops. And then relax. Swing wide on corners, look for corners with telephone pole or signs right on the curb at the corner and swing even wider on those, and if you get in a jam, as embarrassing as it might be, either pull the toad very slowly up over the curb or obstruction, or get out and unhitch.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Everyone. Great advice I will use and refer to often!!!!! Y'all are the best :-)
Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #26

Lynn - just remember that if you pull into an area you can't get out of, you can always unhook the truck. I know it's a PITA but don't wait until you are in a bind or hard turn. DH has had to unhook our Acadia on a few occasions when I thought there was an "out" but there was not. It's all part of the learning curve and it makes for some really good tales around the campfire..lol
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #27

Relax. You will never even notice the toad is behind you.

One thing no one mentioned is the fact that the rear of the coach will swing out to the right when you make a left turn. If you pull up next to a curb or too close to an obstruction on the right it is possible to swing the rear of the coach too far to the right when pulling away with the coach turning left and drive the toad over the curb or into the obstruction. Just leave enough space for this to happen and no problem. Same is true turning right but less chance of a potential problem since most of the time you stop with the curb on the right side.

The other thing to do is to put a small loop of reflective tape at 12:00 on the toad steering wheel. This way you can easily see the toad steering wheel turn in corners for reassurance the toad is tracking correctly.

The rear docking lights are handy at night to check on the toad. Just a quick flash of them tells you it is still there.
jestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Reading some posts here really make me wonder why people bother with such systems!

I would definitely not give up the car hauler! I can back up all I want, the car doesn't get damaged by rocks/road debris and it doesn't get milleage, plus the trailer looks pretty and it can be used for other purposes ! :-)
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing