Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2022, 03:12 PM   #1

A/C crimp

Like many, I found that the a/c line on top of my compressor is leaking. It just bugs me when something isn't working right and I'm considering what to do to fix the situation. When I recently changed my belts I studied the situation a little closer.

When we were at Homecoming, a guy was there from the A/C company that supplies Entegra their a/c units. He came by my coach and said that they could cut the zip ties and pull the line to gain 6 inches, and then crimp a new collar onto the line. It all sounds good but I'm a 4.5 hours from them and this is going to take some planning.

I see on amazon, tools that can be bought for this purpose and before I bought one I wanted to see if anyone has advice. Are these crimp tools that easy to operate? It looks like I can get one and supplies for under $200. Then I'd just have the system charged back up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2022, 03:16 PM   #2

Is it the Suction/low pressure line or the High Pressure side. ???
HelmuthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmuthJ View Post
Is it the Suction/low pressure line or the High Pressure side. ???

I'm not an a/c guy, but I think the guy said it was the low pressure side
Old 07-22-2022, 03:28 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Dave,
Nowabeachbum did a nice post not to long ago about the crimper and fitting. Someone else posted a system vacuum for less than the shop want to service his A/C.
My house and commercial AC guy said he would vacuum my system down anytime I needed it. Cost, a cold beer and he makes house calls.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Dave,
Nowabeachbum did a nice post not to long ago about the crimper and fitting. Someone else posted a system vacuum for less than the shop want to service his A/C.
My house and commercial AC guy said he would vacuum my system down anytime I needed it. Cost, a cold beer and he makes house calls.

Thanks Chuck, I'll try to search for it
Old 07-23-2022, 07:02 AM   #6

I just purchased a crimping tool from Amazon not long ago and did exactly what was recommended to you. I cut the zip ties and pulled the hose. Cut the hose and crimped on a new fitting. The tool is easy to use. Space to work is another issue. The best thing to do is to open the floor in the closet. Not the tiled hatch. There is 3-4 screws in the front of the carpeted flooring and it is hinged in the back. Now youíre looking straight down on the compressor and the fittings and plenty of room to work. I will post a picture taken of the compressor from the open flooring.

I would put money on that itís your high pressure fitting that is faulty. The smaller of the two.

Best of luck.

Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
737 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:08 AM   #7

Also, Nowabeachbum suggested when crimping on the new fitting, after the initial crimp to turn the tool about 90 degrees and crimp a second time for a more uniform crimp. Make sure the crimp grooves are hitting the same spot the second time. It will make sense when you see the fitting after the first crimp. It looks a little lopsided.

Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBC8F5FE-E3C2-4F07-AA76-5B9030C3FDF6.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	371749  
Old 07-23-2022, 07:14 AM   #8

If you want to buy the tool set from me let me know. This is one of those tool sets you might have to use once in a life time. Hope I am not violating any forum rules by saying this🙄. We can pass this tool around to all members on the forum since it is prob only time before you need to replace the fittings. I will discount it for you😀

Tor
2017 Anthem 44 B
Old 07-23-2022, 07:52 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, I just looked at the prices of a crimping tool and vacuum on Amazon, combined about $200. I got ripped off by Charlotte RV for $750 to chase down the AC problem on my 14 while under warranty because they were an Even Tempcon dealer. No parts, so it was out of pocket. After learning from Nowabeachbum a little about the AC systems, I like many were ripped off by someone that knew less than I did. They didn't fix a thing, they spent a day adding more Freon only to have the AC completely quit after warranty.

There are some good videos on Amazon on a few of the crimpers I would do my own next time in a heart beat before taking it to someone again. That was learning experience of what not to do.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It is usually the high side line that leaks. If you remove the line you will actually be able to swivel the 90 degree tube within the crimp. Cutting a few inches off and crimping a new fitting will correct that. The easiest way is to cut a number of black cable ties and let the hose hang down beneath the coach where you have room to work on it. Just pulling a couple of inches out and trying to fit the hydraulic crimp tool in through the back is a losing proposition. These hoses are supplied by Spartan (go figure) and they are a known failure point for quite some time.

When the line is cut you'll allow moisture into the system so once you replace the fitting you should also replace the filter-dryer, vacuum the system down and check for leaks before refilling with 2.5 lbs. of R134a refrigerant. If you don't replace the dryer or vacuum it won't function as it should.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:00 AM   #11

Any links to the crumpet and crimp materials?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Any links to the crumpet and crimp materials?
High pressure fitting.

Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B3F3E474-E8FF-4532-8400-896FB683D07E.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	371753  
Old 07-23-2022, 08:17 AM   #13

Tool set from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0E6F2473-2813-47E6-9B48-F717AC842A77.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	371754  
Old 07-23-2022, 08:23 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

One additional note on the crimp process:

When at NIRVC I noticed a tech applying sealant to the fitting. I asked him about it and he told me that they have had comebacks from leaks but once they used the black sealant (Permatex Ultra Black most likely) there were no more leaks.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote