Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A Must Have Defective Slide Motor Emergency Slide Movement Tool

On Monday the slide motor on the Driver side front failed. The slide started out and stopped after traveling about 5”. The motor continued to run with a loud grinding noise. I was only able to retract the slide. I tried to see if I could use a motor from the Bedroom slide as a temporary replacement to get the slide out but the motor was a different model.

Starting in 2017 model Entegra uses a different slide motor on the Bed slide and each of the front slides on the 44B model. Not sure about the vanity slide. Prior to 2017 model the same motor was used on all slides according to Entegra. It is model number K01431B300 made by Klauber Machine and Gear. The only slide on my coach using this model number is the front driver side. The one that failed. Entegra did say that I could swap out the slide motors in an emergency situation. I am not convinced that it’s a good idea for the driver side front because it is considered the heaviest of all the slides on the 44B.

There was concerned that I would be weeks without a motor because the slide motors were backordered. However, Entegra came through and found a motor which is in transit. I did not want to potentially be weeks before I could extended my slide so I made a tool that allows me to move the slide in and out manually.

This tool is a 8 1/2” long by 3/4” square bar stock. You remove the defective motor and replace with the bar stock tool slipping the square tubing used to connect to the motor shafts over the solid bar stock tool. This basically connects the right and left side of the slide bar so as prevent any twisting of the slide. Use a 14” crescent wrench or larger to turn the slide shaft which will move the slide. A ONE PERSON JOB. To move the front driver slide “in” requires 2 crescent wrenches because you must overcome the slide drop holding the bar with one crescent wrench as you reposition the other crescent. Continue to alternate the 2 wrenches until the slide is in. If you had someone pushing on the slide it would make it easier. You can accomplish the same with long handle open end wrenches.

The KMG K01431B300 motor/gear box has a rated torque of 600 in pounds which is about 50 ft pounds. So applying manual torque to the shaft is not that difficult and a lot easier than trying to push the slide out or in with brut force and also elimates the possibility of twisting the slide.

If this tool was not so simple I would patent it, kidding!
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A Must Have Defective Slide Motor Emergency Slide Movement Tool

Good info, can you post a photo of what you made?
John Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #3

Yes photo please, good to have & thanks for sharing
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two things you said that conflict

The motor stopped
The controller continued to run with a grinding noise

NO. the controller is slient, the motort kept running, the transmission or some other part of the drive train made the grinding noise.

The only noise the controller can make is a clatter (Like when you try to start your car with a dead battery only not as loud, and for the same reason).

Or possibly a BEEP but I've never heard of one with a beeper in it.

Slides come in assorted flavors.
Accu-slide (Cable cars)
Power gear (Rack and pinion) or other Rack and pinion, Power gear calls the pinion a "Spur gear" These are famous for shering pins.

Hydraulic

Swinteck. (And that is about all I know about that brand)

I think there are some screw drive units but never seen one
Old 02-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
On Monday the slide motor on the Driver side front failed. The slide started out and stopped after traveling about 5”. The motor continued to run with a loud grinding noise. I was only able to retract the slide. I tried to see if I could use a motor from the Bedroom slide as a temporary replacement to get the slide out but the motor was a different model.

Starting in 2017 model Entegra uses a different slide motor on the Bed slide and each of the front slides on the 44B model. Not sure about the vanity slide. Prior to 2017 model the same motor was used on all slides according to Entegra. It is model number K01431B300 made by Klauber Machine and Gear. The only slide on my coach using this model number is the front driver side. The one that failed. Entegra did say that I could swap out the slide motors in an emergency situation. I am not convinced that it’s a good idea for the driver side front because it is considered the heaviest of all the slides on the 44B.

There was concerned that I would be weeks without a motor because the slide motors were backordered. However, Entegra came through and found a motor which is in transit. I did not want to potentially be weeks before I could extended my slide so I made a tool that allows me to move the slide in and out manually.

This tool is a 8 1/2” long by 3/4” square bar stock. You remove the defective motor and replace with the bar stock tool slipping the square tubing used to connect to the motor shafts over the solid bar stock tool. This basically connects the right and left side of the slide bar so as prevent any twisting of the slide. Use a 14” crescent wrench or larger to turn the slide shaft which will move the slide. A ONE PERSON JOB. To move the front driver slide “in” requires 2 crescent wrenches because you must overcome the slide drop holding the bar with one crescent wrench as you reposition the other crescent. Continue to alternate the 2 wrenches until the slide is in. If you had someone pushing on the slide it would make it easier. You can accomplish the same with long handle open end wrenches.

The KMG K01431B300 motor/gear box has a rated torque of 600 in pounds which is about 50 ft pounds. So applying manual torque to the shaft is not that difficult and a lot easier than trying to push the slide out or in with brut force and also elimates the possibility of twisting the slide.

If this tool was not so simple I would patent it, kidding!
Nice write up on your tool. You've taken the hard work out of keeping the two shafts in synch.. One last thing to do is put the motor back in position because it will help hold the slide in while traveling since the brake is engaged when power is removed. We would probably block the slide in with some 2" x 4"s also when moving.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #6

I read his post as the slideout stopped moving but the motor continued to run. Assuming something in the motor stripped out
(Referencing post by wa8yxm)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #7

Two key points OP makes is motor assy on 17s and newer aren’t as interchangeable as earlier years, and he has identified a method to manually operate slides while keeping them synced.

Thanks for sharing!
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:07 AM   #8

Thanks for sharing Ray.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Nice write up on your tool. You've taken the hard work out of keeping the two shafts in synch.. One last thing to do is put the motor back in position because it will help hold the slide in while traveling since the brake is engaged when power is removed. We would probably block the slide in with some 2" x 4"s also when moving.
I would not rely on the motor brake of a defective motor to keep the slide from moving while traveling. I definitely would use 2 x 4 or an adjustable bar to keep the slide from moving.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:45 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsour View Post
I read his post as the slideout stopped moving but the motor continued to run. Assuming something in the motor stripped out
(Referencing post by wa8yxm)
If you take a close look at the slide motor/gear box you will see a silver colored case which is the reduction gear box. I have not disassembled the gear box because I assume that Entegra will want it returned. I suspect that the teeth on one or more of the gears has stripped off. This process probably occurred over time. Eventually the metal filing and the lose of several teeth on the gear prevented it from moving more than a few inches.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Picture of Tool

As requested.

I drilled 2 holes for the pins 21/64" which is oversize for the 5/16" pins. Not really necessary unless you are traveling with the tool in place. Of course in a travel mode you would need to brace the slide inside with 2x4 cut to length so slide could not extend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	191239  
Old 02-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Ray, A big thanks as I sure could have used that once a long time ago . I'll soon have a " Slide Motor Emergency Slide Movement Tool" which I'll refer to as a "Ray Bar."

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Great idea, thank you for sharing.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
What brobox said. You can learn everything about Entegra coaches by following brobox posts. Thanks Chuck.
kwoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide