Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 04:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Currently in Texas until COVID subsides and we feel more comfortable traveling.
A shock question ('15 Aspire)

I actually was not unhappy with my OEM shocks. I did not notice any porpoising or bottoming out, but I did have 45,000 miles on the OEM shocks. And I read on the forum about how everyone found that replacing the shocks with Koni's was the best thing they ever did. So I bought a new set of Koni's and had NIRVC install them (solid axle steering).

Right away on the way home I thought there was something wrong. Every road bump seemed sharp and excessive. But on the highway it seemed to steer better, and the ride was acceptable.

But now I have a 1,000 miles on them and I wonder if I made a mistake. The ride at slow speeds is very rough. At highway speeds it smooths out, but you still feel every road imperfection (and that's a lot). And if you hit a major dip it feels like your fillings are coming out.

I verified the part number with the suppler, and with NIRVC who verified it with Spartan. I went under to look at the install and don't see anything noticeably wrong. So those of you who put Koni's on an Entegra, especially solid axle ones, does this look right to you? I'm prepared to junk them and put OEM shocks back on if needed, We are about to leave for a long trip and I would like to either do something about it or ignore it before I leave. Thanks (sory for the long post)
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #2

We installed the Koni s hocks about a year and a half ago.
The solid axle has its limits, but feel our ride and handling have improved.
Our shocks required a spacer to keep them from rubbing. Went back and forth with installer about the need for the spacers. Spartan confirmed they were required. Worth looking into.
Tom
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Currently in Texas until COVID subsides and we feel more comfortable traveling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
We installed the Koni s hocks about a year and a half ago.
The solid axle has its limits, but feel our ride and handling have improved.
Our shocks required a spacer to keep them from rubbing. Went back and forth with installer about the need for the spacers. Spartan confirmed they were required. Worth looking into.
Tom

Thanks, Tom. Do you remember where the spacers were so I can look for them? But I would think NIRVC would know to install them if needed....
Old 05-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #4

I replaced my 2015 Aspire 44b front shocks with konis last year. The coach only had 6,000 miles on it so I was able to compare virtually new standard shocks to the Koni upgrade. I had a bit of porpousing and bounce that I wanted to smooth out. I have the Meritor solid axle (16,000 #) and used Koni 8805-1018 I didn't notice any ride difference at normal driving speed but there IS less bounce over those black tar lines they love to place for miles... happy so far!

John
2015 44b
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #5

Tires have too much air pressure per the inflation charts and weights? (not per the tire sidewall)
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
A shock question ('15 Aspire)

Iíve always had my loaded wheel weight measured and used those weights to set my tire pressures in accordance with tire mfg guidelines. Thatís not the issue.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #7

Hello John;
I am aired down right now but the spacers would be on the lower shock. I think they used 3 washers to make up the spacer. You can tell better by looking from the front if your shock is rubbing on the frame.
Ironically, when we were test driving ECís, I noticed less ride difference between the Aspire and Anthem versus a Cornerstone.
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
My Koni's have worked good on my solid axel, better than the stock Bilstein that came on them at all driving speeds. My Axel is not the same as yours (14,400 lb Dana), but it sounds like something is not right on your coach and the Koni I guess there could be a bad pair?
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #9

I put the Koni shocks on my 2015 Aspire RBQ. I did the work myself and didn't use any spacers. I knew it had to be done and put it off as long as I could but but once I got under there, I found it amazingly easy job replacing the front shocks.

My ride improved and would recommend them to everyone.

Are you sure your air bags are aired up?
Old 05-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I checked and didn't see any spacers. The shocks are close to framework, but I can't see anyplace where they hit or rub.

The coach is at the normal ride height when running, so I believe the air bags are inflating as they should.

I'm trying to have a technician from NIRVC test drive it (they installed the shocks) as I am currently in the Lewisville area. If the ride is normal, fine, I can live with it. But if it isn't, I would like to have it fixed.