Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #15

One additional thought....have you looked to see if your AC is freezing up possibly? There is a freeze sensor in the system inserted in the coils. When you run on “Auto” the system will call for the lowest fan speed it thinks is necessary. I’ve been told by several oldtimers that low fan speed in a humid climate is a recipe for a freeze up. If you get yourself to the point again where the compressor kicks out and doesn’t restart, pop the filter and shine a flashlight on the coils and look for ice.
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
My number one sensor is above the passenger seat, in the wood trim around the windows. My unit would never catch up. I unscrewed the 2 screws that held the sensor and pulled about 8 inches of wire out and let it just hang, and the thermostat began to operate properly. If it is that warm outside, the AC will never keep up with how warm the sensor thinks it is because of the where it it located.

On another note, my AC units are now 5.5 years old, and I have noticed that they are not cooling like they used to. I'm afraid that is a sign that replacement is near since these are closed cooling units.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:20 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
One additional thought....have you looked to see if your AC is freezing up possibly? There is a freeze sensor in the system inserted in the coils. When you run on “Auto” the system will call for the lowest fan speed it thinks is necessary. I’ve been told by several oldtimers that low fan speed in a humid climate is a recipe for a freeze up. If you get yourself to the point again where the compressor kicks out and doesn’t restart, pop the filter and shine a flashlight on the coils and look for ice.
Living in hot humid Florida, I was advised by my dealer’s service department to always run the fan in High for the reason stated above.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:08 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Armchair AC Techs biggest problems.

Trying to figure out if the compressor is being told electrically to shut off or some problem is causing it to trip the overload, this seems to be a problem for anyone that can't lay hands on the unit and do actual voltage and amp checks. There are so many different things on RV ac that can cause the compressor to cut off and there are several different control systems used.
What most ac service techs would do on a unknown control system would be to check the voltage at the compressor to see if it was being told to shut off by a control or the overload at the compressor was opening because of heat or high amps and then work off that determination to decide to look at what to check next.

So many different ac units, control schemes, brands with internal sensors and controls not all have. Not to even mention the different ways they can get their power. That's the reason you have many different possible answers to one problem.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:35 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Jeff, your AC unit is probably the same type I had on the Travel Supreme. After reading the other posts, this idea cam to mind. The TS AC had two capacitors, a start and a run capacitor. The run capacitor is the smaller one. If the other suggestions do not solve the problem, check the run capacitor, it could be breaking down once it gets hot.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #20

Working an RV compressor is not rocket science. It is no different than what you have at home. A t-stat controls it. The same kind you have at home. Just installed a Honeywell digital on my 16-year-old unit. Anyone can remove the cover and check the voltage coming to the unit. An amp probe can be used to check amp draw. Start and run capacitors can be checked and replaced. I replaced mine on a 16-year-old unit. Coils can be cleaned. Many things can be done that doesn't require total replacement. SERVICE VALVES CAN BE INSTALLED TO CHECK AND ADD FREON. Its just not cost effective.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #21

All

Again thank you for all the quick responses. Since I’m in WDW, FL I’m going to run the following tests:
1. Run AC on Auto - on shore power
A. Confirm compressor kicks on
B. Turn the temp down 10 degrees below inside temp
C. Monitor/time compressor run time
D. If compressor shuts down wait to see if it restarts (monitor and time)

2. Run AC on cool - on shore power

3. Run AC on cool - on generator

4. Run AC on Auto - on generator

Assuming the compressor shuts down and does not restart then I’ll clmb up on the roof and check voltage. I have a meter but can someone point me to the electric points to check?

No rush since I’m heading to EPCOT today �� and the two functioning ACs are keeping us cool.

Thanks again
Jeff & Terri
2012 Aspire DEQ
Jburklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jeff, I had similar issues with my rear AC on our 2013 Aspire. It ended up being a bad relay in the control board assembly. After many gray hairs I replaced the assembly and no issues since.
John Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Working an RV compressor is not rocket science. It is no different than what you have at home. A t-stat controls it. The same kind you have at home. Just installed a Honeywell digital on my 16-year-old unit. Anyone can remove the cover and check the voltage coming to the unit. An amp probe can be used to check amp draw. Start and run capacitors can be checked and replaced. I replaced mine on a 16-year-old unit. Coils can be cleaned. Many things can be done that doesn't require total replacement. SERVICE VALVES CAN BE INSTALLED TO CHECK AND ADD FREON. Its just not cost effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburklo View Post
All

Again thank you for all the quick responses. Since I’m in WDW, FL I’m going to run the following tests:
1. Run AC on Auto - on shore power

2. Run AC on cool - on shore power

3. Run AC on cool - on generator

4. Run AC on Auto - on generator

Assuming the compressor shuts down and does not restart then I’ll clmb up on the roof and check voltage. I have a meter but can someone point me to the electric points to check?

No rush since I’m heading to EPCOT today �� and the two functioning ACs are keeping us cool.

Thanks again
Jeff & Terri
2012 Aspire DEQ
All

Ok I completed the above and had the same results for the 4 tests. Here they are:

1. AC on Cool with shore power and generator the compressor did not kick on
2. AC on Auto, after queuing the compressor via the heat pump (turned on heat pump and then lowered temp the AC compressor kicked on).
3. Once the compressor kicked on it ran for 7-10 minutes stopped and did not kick back on after waiting 30 minutes. While the compressor was on the air was cold like he other ACs. So I’m leaning more towards the T-Stat or capacitors.

I was not able to check the be voltage and will try to do so tomorrow. Any other guidance will be appreciated.

Sincerely
Jeff & Terri
2012 Aspire DEQ

FYI. I have seen several Entegra in Ft Wilderness at WDW. anyone wants to stop by for some wine (only red!! ) feel free to come by 1637.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #24

AC #1 Resolved

All

Again y’all come to the rescue!!! After the tests above and then checking the voltage all seemed fine but my compressor was still shutting down after about 7-10 minutes. So, I went out to you-tube and watched a simple AC video (Universityrv.com) that included a three step checklist:
1. Power supply
2. Airflow
3. Understanding proper usage

Well I already knew my power supply was good (thanks everyone!! ), so then I checked my airflow, as was also recommended by y’all I removed the shield, cleaned the fins, etc, and then, per the video one of the most common missed was the filter!! I removed the filter, yes it was dirty but I did not think that bad and I had cleaned it about a month ago! But when I took a flashlight and looked inside the filter compartment I noticed a lot of spider webs, dirt, dust, and an old dirt dabblers nest. I cleaned that out pretty thoroughly, reinitialized the t-stat since it was not starting the compressor on cool, set the temp 10 degrees below inside temp (66 setting / 76 inside temp), and re-started the AC on cool. At first no joy and that little hour glass that usually starts initially did not appear I let it run for five minutes, assuming maybe it needed to purge or something to recognize the airflow. Suddenly, I heard the compressor kick in, cold air, and it ran for 30 minutes I adjusted the t-stat to one degree less than inside temp, set fan to auto, and it turned off as expected. Reset the t-stat and again compressor kicked on and cold air.

So long story short evidently my airflow was blocked to the point the compressor shutdown but the fan kept running Needless to say I checked the other two - not as dirty but still cleaned.

Thanks again everyone!! And a huge thank you to Motörhead who recommended the fin cleaning, etc.!! Now I can REALLY enjoy Mickey and most importantly wife is happy happy happy!!!

Jeff & Terri
2012 Aspire DEQ