Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

Accent lights for safety?

Our ride height control crapped out this morning on I45 north of Huntsville, TX headed to our FMCA chapter rally. I called Spartan & they contacted Coach-Net & they came out & confirmed the problem. The lever mechanism was just hanging & the plastic part was broken. Replacement part is being over-nighted & we are on the shoulder of the access road and content to wait it out. Our reflective triangles are out but we’re between towns & it’s going to be pitch black. Finally my question: thinking of turning on security lights & accent lights just to make us more visible on the dark shoulder. Will these be ok to run & not drain my batteries? We plan to run the genset for a few hours before bedtime but don’t really want to run it all night. Thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
You can’t move and get to a parking lot at least?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Isn't that exactly what the flashers are for?
Personally I'd turn those on, but yes turn on something so that you can be seen farther away. Triangles only reflect light, which means that car has to be somewhat close. Flashing lights will get someone's attention from farther away, and who knows, they may even change lanes or move over to give you some space.
I would assume that the flashers are run off the chassis battery, if that runs down you can use the Aux Batt switch (or whatever yours is called) to get things started again. Or go ahead and run the generator all night, might as well use it as longs as it's there.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
You can’t move and get to a parking lot at least?
Front bags are totally deflated & Spartan said not to drive it at all. A minor bump or pothole could cause serious damage with basically no front suspension.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
That is a very hard call! I know that you're asking for the purpose of knowing if your batteries can handle it, but here is something else also to consider. Common sense says yes, turn on more lights for safety. However, there are times when those lights can also cause a drowsy, distracted, or impaired driver to get tunnel vision and steer directly toward the lights (there is a name for it when you drive in the direction you are looking, but I just can't remember it right now... it is very well known in the motorcycle community). This is why emergency and service vehicles all lit up on the side of the road still get hit or sideswiped.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #6

Every driver safety class I ever attended said to pull off as far as possible and never use tail or marker lights due to drivers following them

Especially so if fog or any visibility issues were present

The jury was out on the flashers
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

No reflective triangles?? Cones?? You should probably have three and spaced properly behind the coach. That will also decrease the tunnel vision business....
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
No reflective triangles?? Cones?? You should probably have three and spaced properly behind the coach. That will also decrease the tunnel vision business....
Yes, as I mentioned, my reflective triangles are positioned & spaced out as required behind the rig. Frankly, never thought I’d use them and never did with my previous two coaches but certainly glad I had them for this fun event!
Old 02-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know this won't help with your current situation, but, I was waiting for a required vehicle safety inspection and perusing the available reading material and came across an ad for these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Move over.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	275085

https://internationaltowingmuseum.or...ve-over-arrow/

Looks like a nice thing to have that you hope to never use.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. I think that I'd keep the flashers on, just my opinion (worth about half of what you're paying for it). Good luck!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have a toad, put the flashers on it as well. More flashing lights are better.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #11

Accent lights for safety?

For safety I would get some lights on(flashers preferably) and set the AGS so it will only start if your batteries get low. JMHO
Old 02-14-2020, 04:49 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
I know this won't help with your current situation, but, I was waiting for a required vehicle safety inspection and perusing the available reading material and came across an ad for these:

Attachment 275085

https://internationaltowingmuseum.or...ve-over-arrow/

Looks like a nice thing to have that you hope to never use.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. I think that I'd keep the flashers on, just my opinion (worth about half of what you're paying for it). Good luck!
Stu, I really like that, but I still don't know how well it would work in preventing "Target Fixation", the term I couldn't remember yesterday.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #13

Thanks for all of the comments & I will check into those arrows - looks good. The final verdict was that we turned on both the DS & PS security lights & the entry door light. Set the AGS & all was fine. After dark I walked pretty far to the rear and shined a flashlight on the triangles & Wow - they lit up! Really jumped out as advance warning for other drivers. Thanks again for the input. Already had a call from Coach-Net this morning & our part is out for local delivery via Fed-X. Regards to all
Old 02-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Glad all went well. We spent until almost midnight on the side if I-75, in the rain no less, with a coach that was unmovable. That is one hell of a scary feeling. For others that think "it will never happen to me", just like bad fuel, it can come at anytime.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, safety