Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Adaptive Cruise Failure triggers engine light

We were driving through West Texas when the cruise control cut off and we got a warning that there was debris on the radar and it should be removed. I had an incident once where a moth caused the system to shut off and so I figured no big deal. I pulled over, but no debris was found.

I shut the engine off and waited 30 seconds, started again and the system had reset. I moved forward about 20 feet and got the same warning. I reset again and it failed again and so I figured I would head on to the RV campsite. Not long after I got a "Check Engine" warning accompanied by a constant tone, and now the cruise system said it had been disabled and I needed to service the vehicle.

I reset again, and this time the radar again reset but the constant tone from the check engine would not stop. I checked everything on the engine I could find - oil was good, temps were good, coolant good - it was running normal, so I shut it off and started to call for assistance. Of course everyone is off for the day, and Spartan is shut down until January 3rd, and I had no after hours numbers for Spartan or Cummins, and so I started researching the forum looking for info. I found one mention of the "Magic Eye" triggering a check engine light but that was it.

I started the engine again, and the tone started immediately, but while pushing the buttons to scroll through the menus, it quit. And the adaptive cruise was working again. I scrolled through and the diagnostics said I had a check engine light - no codes by the way - and so I got back on the Interstate and everything was working perfectly. About an hour later I got another "debris on the radar" light and the cruise failed again, but no Check Engine warning, so I kept going.

Tomorrow I will call Entegra and see if they have any input for me. Meanwhile if you have seen something like this I would love to get some advice or direction.

Thanks

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161226_115759.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	147542   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161226_160005.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	147543  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko Foto View Post
We were driving through West Texas when the cruise control cut off and we got a warning that there was debris on the radar and it should be removed. I had an incident once where a moth caused the system to shut off and so I figured no big deal. I pulled over, but no debris was found.

I shut the engine off and waited 30 seconds, started again and the system had reset. I moved forward about 20 feet and got the same warning. I reset again and it failed again and so I figured I would head on to the RV campsite. Not long after I got a "Check Engine" warning accompanied by a constant tone, and now the cruise system said it had been disabled and I needed to service the vehicle.

I reset again, and this time the radar again reset but the constant tone from the check engine would not stop. I checked everything on the engine I could find - oil was good, temps were good, coolant good - it was running normal, so I shut it off and started to call for assistance. Of course everyone is off for the day, and Spartan is shut down until January 3rd, and I had no after hours numbers for Spartan or Cummins, and so I started researching the forum looking for info. I found one mention of the "Magic Eye" triggering a check engine light but that was it.

I started the engine again, and the tone started immediately, but while pushing the buttons to scroll through the menus, it quit. And the adaptive cruise was working again. I scrolled through and the diagnostics said I had a check engine light - no codes by the way - and so I got back on the Interstate and everything was working perfectly. About an hour later I got another "debris on the radar" light and the cruise failed again, but no Check Engine warning, so I kept going.

Tomorrow I will call Entegra and see if they have any input for me. Meanwhile if you have seen something like this I would love to get some advice or direction.

Thanks

Frank
Franko, looking forward to hearing what you find out. This happened during our drive home in November after we purchased our Coach. Seemed to have the same MO as what you experienced. Eventually went away and haven't seen it since but would love to find out what is going on.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Check the Meritor site fault codes. http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorW...ent/mm1306.pdf

Amber
OnGuardTM System Disabled
Incorrect J1939 Adaptive Cruise Control Readiness Status data received in CCVS3 message from engine.
This code may indicate the engine has recognized a radar malfunction (e.g. blocked radar) and has disabled Cruise Control.
This code may also indicate the engine is not configured for operation with an Adaptive Cruise Control system.
Verifythefaultisactiveatalltimesbycycling the key off for 2 to 3 minutes and powering it back up to see if the fault code is still active.
Verifytherearenofaultsinanysystemonthe vehicle and repair all other faults before diagnosing the OnGuardTM system.
CheckformultipleactiveDTCsintheradar.
Ifthereismorethanoneactivecode,repair all other codes, then cycle the ignition to clear the error recognition in the engine.
IfthisistheonlyactiveDTC,instructthe dealer to verify with the engine manufacturer that the engine parameters are set correctly.
Check any optional components that are connected to the J1939 network that may cause a message issue.

Amber
Blocked Radar. Remove Debris.
OnGuardTM Radar Sensor blocked by ice, mud or debris while driving. Reflected signal from other vehicles is too weak
Parkthevehicleinasafelocation,setthe Parking Brake and turn ignition OFF.
Inspectandcleantheradarfascia.
TheDTCwillbeclearedwhenignitionis
switched ON.
Drivethevehicleintrafficabout5minutesat speeds above 20 mph to confirm the blockage is cleared.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We had a similar problem and it turned out to be interference from the wiper motor and there was a fix for it. We did not get the check engine light but as I recall the message was the same on the CMS monitor
Old 12-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #5

Gary, thanks for the information on the codes. I spoke with Spartan today and they said the engine code was related to DEF, and the On Guard code was a communication error - probably. They didn't have an answer for anything except to take it to a shop and have them try to find what triggered the code. We are enroute to Arizona and will probably try to have someone look at it there. We have to drive tomorrow and will see what happens.

Frank
Old 12-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #6

Update - drove 300 miles today with everything working fine - except for one instance where it quit and then reset immediately. It happened right as we went over a bump which makes me think there is a loose wire. Apparently if there is a loose connection it fouls up everything.

The jumble of wires underneath the coach, and where the radar unit is mounted, above and behind the generator is a rats nest. I don't know how anyone could find anything up there. There isn't even an attempt to organize things a little so troubleshooting could be done in a professional manner. Having disassembled multiple things on this coach to fix them myself, I can state with absolute certainty that if it cannot be seen by the owner, no-one at Entegra - absolutely no-one - cares how things look or are assembled. The stories I could tell, and will someday - with the photographs. Entegra might call themselves a premium product but they haven't a clue how quality control works - not a clue.

The engine light is still on and the guy at Spartan says not to worry - but he has no idea what is happening.

Just to emphasize my point compare this photo of the wiring underneath my Cornerstone, with the wiring on a 35' Cabo Yacht I once owned - those guys at Cabo wrote the book on quality control - and they got premium dollar for their product because many people were willing to pay for the quality they were promised. I bought a Cornerstone because I was promised it was an excellent product built with excellent care and much of it is excellent. But having repaired six or eight problems myself because the person(s) who did the original install did sloppy work I am not impressed with their attention to detail - if it can't be seen. And I am not enamored of a company (industry) that thinks it's no big deal for me to have a failure of a primary piece of equipment while enroute, tell me it's Spartan's concern not theirs (here's the number) and have Spartan tell me we don't know what the problem is, but if it derates, you'll have to drive the Interstate at 45 mph or have it towed to a service center - somewhere. I read a lot of things on here and a lot of it gets glossed over. Entegra needs to be held to a higher standard - for their sake and for ours.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entegra wiring.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	724.4 KB
ID:	147665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabo wiring.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	147666  

Old 12-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #7

The control panel/wiring hub on your yacht is a work of art...
Magic-carpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Frank, I hate to say it, but it looks like nothing has changed since the Classics. I thought there were suppose to be all new wiring harnesses on the newer models.........but I don't see any difference.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #9

Update again

After resting four days in Las Cruces, we headed out today for Tucson - about a five hour drive. The adaptive cruise worked perfectly - nicely pacing us behind another coach for almost 100 miles - not a glitch. About halfway through the trip I noticed the "Check Engine" light had gone out. Nice.

At this point I have no idea what happened, but the information given here on this site, that if you just keep using it it will probably sort itself out, has appeared to be accurate, once again demonstrating that many of those on this forum know more about what's going on with our coaches than the manufacturers.

Cheers!

Franko
Old 01-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Frank,

Glad things are working properly again. Isn't technology great.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, engine, ada