Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Pete, that is useful to those with a Freightliner, however the majority of Entegra coaches are on a Spartan chassis.

Slightly different animal.

-Matt
You are correct, my apologies
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #16

I guess I've done it wrong on my 15 Aspire. I've pulled those red rubber plugs and re-installed them without an issue.

I watch the fluid level very closely because a hot bearing will ruin your day. I also watch the inside of my tires because that's where they'll usually leak when a wheel seal goes bad. A shinny spot on the inside of tire is a dead give away.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #17

I don't know what the Aspire or Anthem chassis use. But I do know that the K3 chassis our Cornerstone has uses a Stemco hub that if you do get the red cap off. It's not going back on. On ours, it's permanently glued on. Pull it off and it's junk. I do know Stemco makes numerous different style caps. So Spartan must be using different caps for different chassis and years.
Bpeter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone...with all the conflicting info we are just going to use the fill port. One would think that we other hub having a removable red plug that Spartan would label which ones are removable and which ones are not :-( so folks do not get into trouble.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
This is for ENTEGRA owners! From experience with the NEW Stemco hubs the clear plastic is fragile and cracks very easy. DO NOT remove the red cap, unless you have to. it can crack the clear plastic. No matter how the old timers do it on older coaches, use the fill plug and drain plugs that is what they are designed for. I have had 2 sets of cracked hub covers replaced and nothing was ever touched. I am sure pushing the red plugs back in they would have shattered.

The new Stemco's are not what they use to be, JME.
it seems my knowledge needs expanded- my experience with these things on trucks ends around the 2010ish vintage. all i have known is as in post #6. can you post a picture of the new way? to replace the sight glass on the older ones is simple as can be. the question i always have is where the oil went. synthetic oils dont tend to evaporate
DanKathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have always filled via the drain port. Way easier.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKathyC View Post
it seems my knowledge needs expanded- my experience with these things on trucks ends around the 2010ish vintage. all i have known is as in post #6. can you post a picture of the new way? to replace the sight glass on the older ones is simple as can be. the question i always have is where the oil went. synthetic oils dont tend to evaporate
From my experience hubs are not filled equally at the factory. I had over filled and under filled hubs when I did my first inspection.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVsCoach View Post
I just asked Spartan how this was performed (on an Entegra) and they stated it was suctioned out, then refilled; a five year maintenance requirement.
We were told at Spartan school and in the Reyco Granning service manual it says 100,000 miles or yearly for fluid change in the hub.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #23

Is it okay to mix synthetic with conventional gear oil, not sure what type is currently in my hubs now.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
We were told at Spartan school and in the Reyco Granning service manual it says 100,000 miles or yearly for fluid change in the hub.
I'm going the 100,000 miles like I did with the TS. It was still perfectly green when I sold the coach with 66,000 miles on it. I am from the school, million year old Dino products don't go bad with age, just misuse.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
Is it okay to mix synthetic with conventional gear oil, not sure what type is currently in my hubs now.
Yes.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #26

Adding Hub Oil

[QUOTE=757driver;4103268]We were told at Spartan school and in the Reyco Granning service manual it says 100,000 miles or yearly for fluid change in the hub. Per 757driver

Interesting, we’ll be back at Spartan this year and they emailed a five year maintenance schedule of services they recommend for our coach, which is just about to reach its fourth year of age. Not real sure what’s going on but it is probably a generic email/list of recommendations.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #27

I had two hub caps leaking and the local Spartan service center did not stock the OEM Stemco hub caps. With my encouragement they replaced them with the “old style soft rubber center plugs”. With these you can pop the plug out and easily add oil or suction the old oil out.

As a side note the Allen plugs require metric tools. I purchased a set of metric sockets which work on the tag axle. But not on the front axle, because the wheel is in the way.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I'm going the 100,000 miles like I did with the TS. It was still perfectly green when I sold the coach with 66,000 miles on it. I am from the school, million year old Dino products don't go bad with age, just misuse.
Your mileage may vary. Each year I service my hubs with new oil the old oil coming out is always somewhat cloudy and not as clean looking as new oil. Those vent caps do exactly what they are designed to do which is sucking and blowing moist air. For the few dollars it takes to do all 4 wheels each year I consider it cheap insurance.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote