Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Adding portable dish

As we all know, if you get anywhere near a tree the on motion satellite dish has trouble getting a signal. I want to add a portable dish. Already have DISH network setup and running. Did a lot of searching of previous posts and most were converting from DIRECT to DISH. Am I correct in just running a cable from basement compartment where cable tv connection is to the media center and putting in an A/B switch to select the correct satellite dish?
2014 Anthem

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #2

Partially.
Some cable tv hookups have splitters before they get to the front of the moho. I used mine for a while but I get a much stronger signal to the receiver with a direct line. I installed my own Sat. connection on the front of my rig and ran a line up to the receiver. Works much better.
I have a Winegard Pathway X2.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I was planning on running a separate cable for the portable, just going in where the cable tv already goes.

Later...
Ray
Old 08-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #4

There is an additional cable that is run into the cabinet that houses the bomb, vcr and satellite receiver. Can’t remember where it comes out in the basement. I use it for satellite tripod setup. I installed a connection for it next to the cable tv input. Since I only use it occasionally, I just hook it direct to my sat receiver.
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayandWendy View Post
I was planning on running a separate cable for the portable, just going in where the cable tv already goes.

Later...
Ray
That's the way I used to do it too. But you don't know what happens to the installed cable as it runs through the rv that can degrade the signal.
That's why I installed a cable hookup that goes directly to the receiver.
For sure try it. It may work like a champ.
I also bought a flat cable that can be put in a window channel and the window shut on it. Then you just run a cable to the receiver. You would only use this when using the portable ant.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:30 AM   #6

Grand Design Owners Club
Too bad there is not a setup that uses the coach’s wifi as a gateway to connect the antenna to the Reciever via wifi. Then there would be no need for cables.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
As we all know, if you get anywhere near a tree the on motion satellite dish has trouble getting a signal. I want to add a portable dish. Already have DISH network setup and running. Did a lot of searching of previous posts and most were converting from DIRECT to DISH. Am I correct in just running a cable from basement compartment where cable tv connection is to the media center and putting in an A/B switch to select the correct satellite dish?
2014 Anthem

Later...
Ray
That should work fine. Assume you have a Wally or similar receiver and not a Hopper. On the RBQ, running a new coax from the cord reel bay to the media center is a pretty short run and should be straightforward.

If you intend to watch local TV stations via DISH, prefer HD and plan to travel in the eastern US (TX and eastward), buy a portable that supports the Eastern Arc or 'Hybrid' mode. Hybrid mode substitutes 61.5 on the Eastern Arc for 129 on the Western Arc. Many (currently 84) markets in the East ONLY support HD on 61.5 and in some markets have no locals on the western arc at all.

My spreadsheet here identifies which satellite the locals are on for each market. I'll do another update to it this fall. It is intended for Winegard Trav'ler users but the basic info is still applicable to your equipment.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #8

The Winegard Pathway X2 can see both west and east arc sats.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You can use the existing cable TV cable jack to connect a portable satellite dish. You just need to add a diplexer at the top end where it comes out, either at the backside of the antenna amp switch on the newer model without the Box Of Many Buttons (BOMB) or on the older models with the BOMB. The diplexer looks like a basic coaxial 1x2 splitter but is internally different. It's actually a switch that senses the difference in voltage between a CATV and SATV signal and switches accordingly. I've used this on my previous Allegro Bus. On the4 current Cornerstone I just added a second jack for the SATV feed and ran it through an A/B switch in the basement and intercepted the line from the rooftop dish to the 1x4 distribution amp.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #10

In addition to Voltdoc’s great info, I use an App called Sat Finder Lite.
Using Dish, I am on 110/119/129 Sats.
When we get into a questionable site, I can point the phone at my Sat locations. Then move the coach if, or as needed to optimize the reception.
It’s free and you can filter only the birds you need to see.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Ok, I now have a portable dish. Was going to use the "Blue" RG6 extra cable. I found it in the entertainment center area. For the life of me I cannot fine the other end in the basement bay where cord reel, Aquahot, and surge are. Looked all over the ceiling of the bay. Found a RED RG6.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ

Later...
Ray
Old 08-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Ok, I now have a portable dish. Was going to use the "Blue" RG6 extra cable. I found it in the entertainment center area. For the life of me I cannot fine the other end in the basement bay where cord reel, Aquahot, and surge are. Looked all over the ceiling of the bay. Found a RED RG6.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ

Later...
Ray
Not 100% sure it applies and the quality isn't very good but see the last page in this document:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/199k...w?usp=drivesdk

Looks like the blue tagged coax goes to the roof.

Did you consider Cruzer's suggestion of a diplexer? Put the diplexer behind your TV on the Antenna/Cable TV coax. To use, hook up your portable dish to the cable input above the cord reel, go inside and turn the Winegard Amp over the entry door OFF, this connects the input to the cable coax from the basement. The signal will be carried via the coax that goes from the Winegard Amp to the TV area, but will cone from the basement instead of the OTA antenna. The diplexer should separate the satellite signal and direct it to the receiver. Or you could use a simple A/B switch instead of a diplexer to get the same basic capability, it just wouldn't be automatic. The key is to make sure the Amp over the entry door is off so the signal from the cord reel bay passes thru to the TV. At least I think I have all that right.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Well in trying to run my wire snake down from the entertainment center to the cable connection I found the other end of the "blue" cable. I think I actually knocked it loose from where it was stuffed.

Everything up and running. Thanks for all the help.
Later...
Ray

Tags
dish