Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #1

Advice for first long trip south (Seattle to Austin)

We are planning our first long trip south in our (fairly new to us) 2015 Anthem in late February. Anyone have route advice from Seattle area to Texas and recommendations for places to stay along the way? We are leaning towards I-5 down to LA to limit mountain passes. We don't have a tow and plan to drive during daylight hours only.

Although anxious to get some TX sunshine, we're not in a rush and think the extra miles to avoid snow and ice maybe worthwhile.

Appreciate any input from those that have done this route before.

Thanks
Stephanie & Larry
snlluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

Don't be scared of mountain passes, especially if you aren't towing anything.
If you want to get south first, I'd go to Bakersfield and then over Tehachapi pass to Barstow and Needles. Then you can make your way down to I-10.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If planning on using I 40 keep an eye on the weather. When New Mexico and the Texas panhandle has a freeze event it is normally forecasted a few days in advance.

From Amarillo I would recommend taking US Hwy 287 south. This will allow you to miss DFW and Waco traffic and you can pick serval different routes to Austin from the west.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Although we aren't in the RV world anymore, our stays at the Leander KOA were great. Convenient and really nice people. (We've got kids in Austin)

The downtown parks looked interesting but the tightness and a few other things made us wave them off.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
If planning on using I 40 keep an eye on the weather. When New Mexico and the Texas panhandle has a freeze event it is normally forecasted a few days in advance.

From Amarillo I would recommend taking US Hwy 287 south. This will allow you to miss DFW and Waco traffic and you can pick serval different routes to Austin from the west.

Herb
287 to Wichita Falls and then 281 south from there would be a good route.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #6

Larry

I think you are using good judgement to go around the mountains at this time of year and particularly when you are fairly new to driving your rig. You are using your head to go around this time. Save the big mountains for after you are fully acquainted with your jake brake system on your coach and you have handled smaller less impressive climbs and descents. I have driven from the Oregon - Washington border from my home and back in Shreveport LA once a few years ago. As I remember I essentially traveled south east from the Columbia River to the Amarillo area and east on I-15, 10, and 20. I dont believe that I encountered major mountains on that route. OF course the sooner you get south the sooner that you will have to worry about inclement weather conditions. You say you are not in a hurry so if you encounter bad weather, just stay where you are and give the weather and the road crews times to get everything under control. I dont personally like driving in any conditions that involve salting the highways.... my problem is not the snow, my problem is that I dont want a lot of heavy salt being thrown up on my undercarriage. I try to avoid salt at all costs. It will really go after your chassis.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #7

I would think you would go south to L.A., over to Phoenix, south east to El Paso, then to your destination. Pretty much around the west and south of the mountains.
We travel from Arkansan to Mesa on I-40 in late Feb each year and a little over 7000 ft. can be cold some years, not to mention the wind that we encounter about every other year. That's in Oklahoma, Texas pan handle last year, and New Mexico. There's a place in New Mexico that they have wind socks on the sides of I-40 to warn you of what's about to hit. Winds can be easily above 50 mph from the north. Really keeps you busy while traveling. Not trying to scare you about I-40, just be informed.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #8

On the east side of Bakersfield ; The Orange Grove RV Park

AND , whatever you do ; do not be in need of fuel in Needles $1.20 a gal more than anywhere else on the route. 21 miles further in AZ, Loves; Flying J and Chevron . You still pay the interstate premium , but nothing like Needles .
Lake Havasu City , if you're dropping south to the I-10 will save another $0.30 .
Old 01-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Can’t help with the route but if you do go 287, Wichita Falls has a very nice campground for a day or two stay.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
On the east side of Bakersfield ; The Orange Grove RV Park

AND , whatever you do ; do not be in need of fuel in Needles $1.20 a gal more than anywhere else on the route. 21 miles further in AZ, Loves; Flying J and Chevron . You still pay the interstate premium , but nothing like Needles .
Lake Havasu City , if you're dropping south to the I-10 will save another $0.30 .
Orange Grove is nice, another is A Country RV Park. We've stayed at both.

Tehachapi pass isn't that high of a pass, around 4000'. It is an easy pass and you avoid the LA basin. At Needles you can cut south on Hwy 95 to I-10.

Still need to know where abouts in Texas you are headed.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
https://www.facebook.com/Lonestar23RV/
Old 01-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Im in agreement that Seattle to Bakersfield, Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso is the safe route that time of year.

Last time I was on I40 it was pretty rough west of Memphis, it seems like they have been working on it my entire life.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:01 AM   #13

I live in Ocean Shores and have traveled south several times at this time of the year. To avoid passes, I hit 101 in Astoria and take it to LA. From There you can work your way to I-10. It is a beautiful drive down the coast and a nice way to take your time. Harris Beach State Park in OR is very nice and has spots big enough for your rig. San Francisco RV resort is a great place to stay and play in SF. There are a ton of RV parks along the way too, just call ahead to make sure you can fit. There are a couple of KOAs (like in Willits) along the way too. Pismo Beach is fun out on the dunes. It is our preferred route and you don't have to mess with all the trucks on I-5. If you don't have RV Parky, download it and you can see all the parks along the route.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:04 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
I live in Ocean Shores and have traveled south several times at this time of the year. To avoid passes, I hit 101 in Astoria and take it to LA. From There you can work your way to I-10. It is a beautiful drive down the coast and a nice way to take your time. Harris Beach State Park in OR is very nice and has spots big enough for your rig. San Francisco RV resort is a great place to stay and play in SF. There are a ton of RV parks along the way too, just call ahead to make sure you can fit. There are a couple of KOAs (like in Willits) along the way too. Pismo Beach is fun out on the dunes. It is our preferred route and you don't have to mess with all the trucks on I-5. If you don't have RV Parky, download it and you can see all the parks along the route.
Being from LA, my favorite route as well. However I'd cut off at Santa Paula to Palmdale Lancaster, or the Simi Valley Freeway to beat LA traffic. I would rather 4 wheel drive through the desert than go though LA traffic. Your route is the perfect vacation route. I-5 is the I have to be at work route. One could also take the Ventura Fwy (101) out to Hwy 14, but you still have all of the north end LA residential traffic which it is just as bad with everyone going into LA.
Driving a 45 ft MH though LA is worse than going through Atlanta.
The Pearblossom hwy, Hwy 138 at Palmdale down to I-15 is also good highway with no mountains. It might look longer on paper, but believe me it is 10 X faster and a beautiful route to see the real CA. You'll miss the commuters and truckers.

Fuel in OR and not again until AZ.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, seat