Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2022, 07:08 AM   #1

Advice for squeak on ODS slide

Hey all,

Appreciate all the advice as I go through my coach getting ready for our boondocking trip in Colorado. One thing that is going to make me lose my mind or at the least, keep the radio cranked, is this squeak that's started.

Right behind my head on the top of the living room ODS slide is a squeak that sounds like the seals on paint. I have sprayed the seals down and it doesn't seem to help.

I have a feeling the previous owner has had this experience before looking at the tape. Look at this picture. Any advice on addressing this properly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_181557.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	367630  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2022, 07:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
"ODS Slide"????? What is this...opposite driver's side?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - ODS = off door side (drivers side) as opposed to DS (door side). It's a very common term with Newmar coaches but I haven't heard it used by other manufacturers. I'd guess that the Captain, like many of us, has been a Newmar owner somewhere along the line.

Tom
Old 06-07-2022, 07:27 AM   #4

Opposite door side.

Yeah I thought that was odd too but it's how the whole coach is labelled.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
"ODS Slide"????? What is this...opposite driver's side?

Ken
Good guess, Ken, but I think you've guessed wrong.

It's an Entegra 'thing' as far as I can tell that never resonated with me.

DS - Door Side
ODS - Opposite Door Side

I much preferred the terms used on a previous coach (Monaco) where we referred to Road Side and Curb Side.

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #6

It never made sense to me, and I never use it.

Driver's Side makes so much more sense and can not be confused with anything else.... Sometimes abbreviations do more to confuse than they do to elucidate. If you see me use it on here, feel free to jeer and humiliate. !

ODS = right !!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:35 AM   #7

Angry Ods and ds

When I bought my Anthem I also wondered about this.
The explanation was:

DS = Door side
ODS = Opposite door side

This came from trying to be RV industry standard because trailers do not have a driver.

Sooooo...hence the seemingly weird designations.

Did not have this on my 2003 Fleetwood Providence, but then if the engineers/designers/programmers did not keep changing things, they would be out of a job.

The short of the story is that we, the end users, have to adapt. Just when you get familiar and comfortable with the system use, they change it. :(

Wishing you all fair winds and downhill grades.
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:47 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Boats and planes use port and starboard, never understood why MH'S had to be different.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:04 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've always used
DS = Driver's side
PS = Passenger's side
But that's just me.
You will have to forgive me.
I went to a public school.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:05 AM   #10

Your picture shows the sealing surface of the slide against the drivers side wall....correct?

If so , then the squeak you've developed while driving probably doesn't come from this torn wallpaper as the slide will be retracted while underway and the gasket will be a couple of feet away from the wall.

The torn wall tape strip is a peel and stick type product and the glue on the tape doesn't do well with heat. You might try removing the loose tape strip and applying a heavy duty duct tape all the way up the wall to cover the exposed metal.
Color doesn't matter as the tape can't be seen when then slide is extended and fully seated.....I used white tape because just knowing black or grey was behind there would have bothered me forever!

Hope this helps

John
2015 44b
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #11

Balladeer

However, even a lowly trailer has a driver's side whether it is connected to the vehicle that pulls it or sits alone.

Then some people insist on using "Curb Side" so there is yet another terminology...

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorse1 View Post
Your picture shows the sealing surface of the slide against the drivers side wall....correct?

If so , then the squeak you've developed while driving probably doesn't come from this torn wallpaper as the slide will be retracted while underway and the gasket will be a couple of feet away from the wall.

The torn wall tape strip is a peel and stick type product and the glue on the tape doesn't do well with heat. You might try removing the loose tape strip and applying a heavy duty duct tape all the way up the wall to cover the exposed metal.
Color doesn't matter as the tape can't be seen when then slide is extended and fully seated.....I used white tape because just knowing black or grey was behind there would have bothered me forever!

Hope this helps

John
2015 44b
Thanks for the feedback, yeah definitely the tape is an eye sore and needs updated.

Curious why the seal is making so much noise and what strategies help quiet it down.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #13

Rattles and squeaks are a part of this RV thing unfortunately....and the process of eliminating them never ends.
You might try barely leaving the slide out about 1/2 inch from fully seated for travel and taking a test drive to further track down the noise.
It could be your slide topper located on the outside of the coach. Does the noise increase in crosswinds?

Just a guess

John
2015 44b
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:29 AM   #14

Just a thought: are you sure the squeak isn't coming from the upper back part of the wood trim around the driver's window? Seems to be a common problem - until fixed, was very annoying on our coach.

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, slide, squeak