Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #1

AH Blower Motor replacement

Has anyone replaced an AH blower motor themselves? Got one on order. Ours sounds like a grinder and the burner is blowing black smoke. Like it's not getting up to RPM. I've serviced it but it didn't make any difference. Looks like there are instructions in the manual. Couldn't find any videos. Just want to gauge the difficulty level.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Has anyone replaced an AH blower motor themselves? Got one on order. Ours sounds like a grinder and the burner is blowing black smoke. Like it's not getting up to RPM. I've serviced it but it didn't make any difference. Looks like there are instructions in the manual. Couldn't find any videos. Just want to gauge the difficulty level.
If the nozzle was replaced when you serviced it and it still smokes sounds like fuel pressure. It says to check fuel pressure when doing a service but most don’t. Mine will smoke if the nozzle is worn or fuel pressure is high.

Good luck!
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
See Post #4. I did not replace the complete blower but did replace bearings in the blower.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/spr...ml#post4725546
Old 05-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Not hard at all, just did it recently. The new burner will most likely come without fuel lines so you will have to use your old ones. Line them up for proper positioning prior to fully tightening them. Mine came with a new control box on the right side but this had to be moved to the left side (where the old one was) in order not to interfere with the fuel lines. Make sure the plugs are on the bottom when the box is installed.

The rest is just plugging the connections in and bolting it back into the unit.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I have also found that smoke can be caused if a little fuel leaks into the burner assembly. Most common cause is fuel pump, but also can be caused by the pin assembly for the fuel solenoid.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Not hard at all, just did it recently. The new burner will most likely come without fuel lines so you will have to use your old ones. Line them up for proper positioning prior to fully tightening them. Mine came with a new control box on the right side but this had to be moved to the left side (where the old one was) in order not to interfere with the fuel lines. Make sure the plugs are on the bottom when the box is installed.

The rest is just plugging the connections in and bolting it back into the unit.
Thanks Don. I only ordered the blower motor not the full assembly. I didn't see the full assembly available anywhere. Was this a mistake?
Old 05-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I have also found that smoke can be caused if a little fuel leaks into the burner assembly. Most common cause is fuel pump, but also can be caused by the pin assembly for the fuel solenoid.

The blower was definitely not functioning proper with the noise it was making and the lack of air/vapors coming from the exhaust pipe. It didn't have that high pitched whir. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The Aqua-Hot on our Cornerstone has only needed routine service but the one on our previous Allegro Bus needed lots of work. I've pulled that one out and rebuilt it a few times.

The burner motor speed is critical. If it's not up to speed you won't get the correct fuel pressure but even more importantly - you won't get adequate air flow. The motor generally isn't some thing that slows down. Usually it either runs or it doesn't, although it's always possible that "usually" doesn't apply today. But my money is on the fan bearings rather than the motor.

The motor performs two functions. It drives the fuel pump and it drives the combustion air fan. The fan is not directly mounted to the motor. It is a separate unit that is gear driven from the motor to reduce the speed of the large diameter fan from the high speed motor. The fan shaft bearings can begin to seize up (happened to me twice). It's an inexpensive fix but requires a bit of work so you do need to be mechanically inclined. The blower assembly is removed from the boiler and the motor is removed from the head. After a bit more disassembly you can remove the fan assembly, replace the bearings, and set the clearance between the fan blade and volute housing, then out everything back together again. The Aqua-Hot service manual is pretty good about detailing the steps required and tolerances that are used. Once the assembly is rebuilt it can be reinstalled into the boiler. Be careful that the rubber fuel line and wiring grommets are in place. If not you'll have a combustion air leak and not all of the fan's airflow won't get to the swirler, resulting in an incomplete burn and rich, smelly exhaust. Also be careful to not overtorque the two 10mm eyebolts that hold the burner assembly to the boiler. Those aluminum ears snap off real easy and that gets expensive unless you can TIG weld.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #9

Cruzer, can you order the fan bearings? Maybe we're looking at an overhaul here. 7 years of continuous use, obviously not designed for that.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sure, the fan bearings are in the parts list and fairly inexpensive. It comes as a kit with shims, spacers, etc. - probably part number WPX-378-313. Available from Aqua-Hot or John Carillo (www.heatmyrv.com) or Roger Berke (RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home).
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #11

I replaced a blower motor on mine a couple years ago. It was an easy swap. Motor was $750! I think I could have second sourced it, but we were fulltime and Lazydays Knoxville had it on the shelf.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:20 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Don. I only ordered the blower motor not the full assembly. I didn't see the full assembly available anywhere. Was this a mistake?
Not necessarily. If you could positively identify the problem being the motor then definitely change it. Changing the bearings while in there would be a good idea.

On mine it was questionable as to the source of the problem. It could have been the motor, the bearings, the fuel pump, or all three. By the time I would have changed all three the cost was not that much more to get a complete assembly with the control box.

I found mine here.

https://hydronicheatingwarehouse.com...er-replacement

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Not necessarily. If you could positively identify the problem being the motor then definitely change it. Changing the bearings while in there would be a good idea.

On mine it was questionable as to the source of the problem. It could have been the motor, the bearings, the fuel pump, or all three. By the time I would have changed all three the cost was not that much more to get a complete assembly with the control box.

I found mine here.

https://hydronicheatingwarehouse.com...er-replacement
I have ordered the bearing kit from Heat My RV. The motor is on back order with the Hydro Cheating Warehouse. They had the best price for the motor.

Tags
ace, motor, replace, replacement