Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
The filter failed at 17 months. Filter was installed on 2/2018. The big issue with this filter failure is that it was put together with glue only. It didn’t have the outer metal bands or perforated shell to help hold it together. It was a Wix filter sold by NAPA as their Gold series.
I always check the filter gauge when doing my under hood check on pre & post trip. I saw that it had drastically(from 8 to 24) changed after returning from a trip and thinking possibly a critter of some type had possibly homesteaded in the filter causing blockage that increased the vacuum on the gauge. This is what I found . I consider myself very lucky, as the paper had not yet made its way into the turbo or engine.

I have often wondered why the vacuum gauge , even with a new filter was always 8 or more . Thinking the intake cavity in the back cap was possibly restricting the air flow. I removed the elbow from the cap to the filter and now the gauge doesn’t read any increase . I also picked up boost pressure and fuel mileage.
The paper media on your failed filter didn't have any staining on it like it possibly got wet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 06:24 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqberful View Post
I have a 2020 Cornerstone and I see what you mean. They put that trans fill/dip stick tube in the way and there's no holes in the rear or bottom big enough to put the filter through.

I'll bet the bathroom floor panel is the way to go because there's plenty of room on top of the engine and the access panel appears to be large enough.

Next time I get the coach opened up I'll measure it to be sure.
It's been a while since I looked in the engine compartment of a K3 chassis and I wasn't really looking at how to remove and replace the air cleaner...but...I know on my K2 chassis, it's easy to unbolt the support bracket for the transmission and engine oil dipsticks and position them out of the way to facilitate the air cleaner remove/replace. Pretty sure that's easier than going through the access panel.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
It's been a while since I looked in the engine compartment of a K3 chassis and I wasn't really looking at how to remove and replace the air cleaner...but...I know on my K2 chassis, it's easy to unbolt the support bracket for the transmission and engine oil dipsticks and position them out of the way to facilitate the air cleaner remove/replace. Pretty sure that's easier than going through the access panel.

Take care,
Stu

My concern with the trans fill / dip stick is that it's a steel tube and I'm not sure how it's attached at the trans. I'm afraid that if I bend it down it might break something. There's also some sensors and other stuff in that area I'd rather not take the chance of damaging.

I guess the ultimate fix would be to cut the welds off the vertical brace and weld a couple tabs on it so it could be bolted back in place.

But for now if the floor access is large enough it would be really easy to go that way. Take the filter loose from the back then push it over on top of the engine then lift out.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
When we did the training at Spartan in May 2018 they changed my air filter. The tech showed me the old filter and it was all paper. New filter had a metal mesh screen inside to prevent paper from massive fail. I purchased a new filter and took it with me to Alaska. Put that filter in last spring. Air gage still reads ok. Not sure I’ll change filter this year. Methinks having the metal mesh will prevent real bad failures.
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
I changed my filter last year at Quartzsite. I did not remove the clamp that is holding the Transmission and Oil dip sticks. (didn't have the right tools with me at the time) It took some tweaking and I believe I removed the clamp holding the filter in place, and it was very tight getting the canister our, and the new one in, but it worked. I will change it again next weekend, and plan to take loose the clamp folding the dip sticks, and carefully push it out of the way to remove the filter. I will take some images. I know the Cornerstone is most likely different than mine.

I did change my breather filter on top of the engine this weekend removing the floor in my rear bath. My model did not appear to have enough room to move the canister out that direction, but your model may work fine.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqberful View Post
My concern with the trans fill / dip stick is that it's a steel tube and I'm not sure how it's attached at the trans. I'm afraid that if I bend it down it might break something. There's also some sensors and other stuff in that area I'd rather not take the chance of damaging.

I guess the ultimate fix would be to cut the welds off the vertical brace and weld a couple tabs on it so it could be bolted back in place.

But for now if the floor access is large enough it would be really easy to go that way. Take the filter loose from the back then push it over on top of the engine then lift out.
You can take the tube loose and the filter will come out with no problem.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #21

Quote:
The filter failed at 17 months. Filter was installed on 2/2018. The big issue with this filter failure is that it was put together with glue only. It didn’t have the outer metal bands or perforated shell to help hold it together. It was a Wix filter sold by NAPA as their Gold series.

I always check the filter gauge when doing my under hood check on pre & post trip. I saw that it had drastically(from 8 to 24) changed after returning from a trip and thinking possibly a critter of some type had possibly homesteaded in the filter causing blockage that increased the vacuum on the gauge. This is what I found . I consider myself very lucky, as the paper had not yet made its way into the turbo or engine.

I have often wondered why the vacuum gauge , even with a new filter was always 8 or more . Thinking the intake cavity in the back cap was possibly restricting the air flow. I removed the elbow from the cap to the filter and now the gauge doesn’t read any increase . I also picked up boost pressure and fuel mileage.

I feel my anthem also has this restricted air issue..

How exactly did you re route without out the elbow?

Thanks in advance..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
I feel my anthem also has this restricted air issue..

How exactly did you re route without out the elbow?

Thanks in advance..
I have yet to reroute the elbow. I just removed it from the rear cap and turned it downward(45 degrees) towards the rear of the coach. Also covered the opening with some screen to keep out any large pieces of debris, rodents or possible birds that may want to find their way in. I was just curious as to whether or not there was restriction in the air flow through the rear cap cavity. Now that I know there is, my plan is to remount the filter in a front to rear position where it will pick up fresh air through the openings in the engine bay door. That should be even more efficient as It will eliminate another 45 degree bend from the intake. Hopefully will get this change made in March along with the yearly maintenance.
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
Open up the engine compartment and remove the canister which houses the air cleaner element. Order the same canister air filter and simply replace it. This unit is sealed so you can just slide out the paper filter

You can also order the K&N filter. That way you can wash the filter off and you are way ahead. I did that a few years ago and love it
Phil could you tell us the model number for the K&N and what model motor home you have?
Thanks
Capt Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #24

Quote:
I have yet to reroute the elbow. I just removed it from the rear cap and turned it downward(45 degrees) towards the rear of the coach. Also covered the opening with some screen to keep out any large pieces of debris, rodents or possible birds that may want to find their way in. I was just curious as to whether or not there was restriction in the air flow through the rear cap cavity. Now that I know there is, my plan is to remount the filter in a front to rear position where it will pick up fresh air through the openings in the engine bay door. That should be even more efficient as It will eliminate another 45 degree bend from the intake. Hopefully will get this change made in March along with the yearly maintenance.

Got it.. you avoided the rear cap all together..

Makes sense..

It’s been said in the past that in some model years they used plywood to block any rain water in that cap.. which also would block lots of smooth air flow.. I am convinced many of us have this...

Thanks for the idea..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
Got it.. you avoided the rear cap all together..

Makes sense..

It’s been said in the past that in some model years they used plywood to block any rain water in that cap.. which also would block lots of smooth air flow.. I am convinced many of us have this...

Thanks for the idea..
Yes, the plywood panel is in there. The panel should be at angle and was intended to be a water shed for any excessive amount of water that may come in through the opening on the outside of the rear cap.
If I change the location of the filter air intake to the rear of the coach, yes it will probably take in more dust. But, we are replacing these filters every year anyway. While mostly highway miles, they will not get enough dust on them to hurt the performance. On the plus side, will have a slight increase in mileage and engine performance.
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #26

when you change you air filter make sure it doesn't have anything inside, i just replaced mine on 2015 CS after replacing it would not get up to power, called my mechanic and told him all i did was change the air filter. after about 6 hours and $800 he found a small piece of rubber hose that must have been in the filter and got sucked into the turbo, removed the hose and everything runs great.
Billboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:13 AM   #27

The easiest way to change out the air filter on a K2 chassis, is to remove the bolts for the brackets holding the filter. Remove the brackets with the filter. Spray silicone on the rubber boots and they’ll slide into place easily. I usually can do this job in about 20 minutes.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #28

I did not read all the posts but I have a 2015 cornerstone. The air filter will slide out , it is tight the oil fil tube needs to move(one bolt) but it is quick and easy.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air