Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #1

Air Force One Coach Side - K2 Chassis

Has anyone installed the Air Force One Coach Side air tank on a K2 chassis? The procedures themselves are very straight fwd and look easy enough, my concern is access/room under the coach to work. If you did the install yourself, were you able to do it without jacking the coach or using a drive over pit?

Camping World (only place around me in Valdosta, GA) wants $1200 to install coach side and vehicle. Vehicle I can do myself, but the coach access is my concern. I prefer not to spend $1200 and I really donít care for Camping World, so investigating doing this myself.

Any advice/things to watch out for?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Had a local truck shop install coach side. About $500. I did the Jeep side myself.

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #3

My first Air Force One was bought at a pre-rally for FMCA in Albany GA. The company that I bought my AFO one from installed the whole apparatus on my coach and my Honda in a grass field at the rally. The fellow sold me the unit and installed it the next day. He laid under the coach and made all the coach side connection simply lying under coach. As I remember, the only connection that was difficult was the connection to the air line of the coach. then the air line came to the isolation chambers and apparatus which was screwed onto one of the vertical support steel supports braces right inside of the rear engine compartment hatch of my 15 Anthem.

I would not tackle that installation myself, but his installation worked very well for the three years that I kept that Anthem. I am still using the Honda side of his install on my current rig with new coach-side equipment and my original Honda toad.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:02 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Be sure that it's installed properly. I had a service facility install both sides of my system on my new '18 Anthem in March '18. The installer had a good reputation and impressed me that he knew what he was doing.

Three months after he completed the install, I attended the Spartan Academy which included a chassis inspection. Included in that inspection was a check for proper installation of the Air Force One coach side equipment. The tech shared with me that he had seen many that were improperly installed, however, he was pleased that mine was installed in compliance with Spartan's specs. That was in June '18.

In January of '19, I had an annual chassis service performed by Spartan. Part of that was an inspection that included confirming the Air Force One installation.

In November, I was back at Spartan for another annual (and pre-warranty expiration) service.

During that inspection, the tech noted: :"During inspection, found tow brake line installed incorrectly per update plumbing."

The corrective action was : "Removed trigger line from tag axle combination valve and installed a plug in that port. Installed tow trigger line in front of the drive axle ATC valve. Checked operation. Checked OK."

So, it appears that Spartan engineering has changed their specs regarding the Air Force One coach side equipment since my install in March '18. I'm not sure when, or exactly what, has been changed. It seems that sometime between January '20 and November '20 that something has changed.

Whether you do the install yourself, or, have someone else do the install, it would seem that having the latest install instructions would be a good thing.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-03-2021, 05:54 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
You will need to work between the drive and the tag axle. There is enough room there to work but getting there may be difficult as you will need to go under the drive or tag to get there. The Spartan kit has good detail instructions and I would imagine the Air Force One would also.

I would suggest mounting the tank, relay valve, and protection valve in the engine compartment where you donít have to work on your back and if it needs service in the future that would provide easier assess.
I put a drain valve in the bottom of that tank to drain any moisture that might accumulate.
I raised the rear with the Jacks and used rated jacks stands for safety and support.

Do not work under coach without safety stands.

I didnít mean this to be so long, but wanted you to know what you are getting into, itís doable just be careful.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #6

Oh, and don't be too worried about these mentions of installation changes. I bought my first AFO and had a lot of contact with the AFO engineer and he said their installation steps were signed off by Spartan. However, Spartan then said that it was not the right installation procedure. They published their own. Then they started selling their own version of the AFO with their own installation steps, tanks, and procedure. Then Spartan decided to install AFOs unit instead of their own unit as standard on all their coach chassis under a different name but AFO's unit. Most of those changes were accompanied by arguments over the "right" way to install the AFO. All of them were the best toad-brake system out there....

I'd do it exactly the way that the installation instructions say to do it, and you will be fine.... they all work.

And I realized after I wrote the earlier post that I have actually had three AFO units.... the first was installed in a field on my first coach (a 2001 Monaco Dynasty 40' tag axle). The Anthem was done by NIRVC techs.

Gary
Old 02-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Gary,
OEMs seem to have methods they prefer to follow, but Basically all air systems are alike as required by regulation.
The first toad brake I installed was on a Freightliner chassis and they at the time didnít require a ping tank or protection valve.
Now I sure safety and liability have come into play. I do see the need for the protection valve in the event of air lost in the toad brake system. This may even be a safety requirement by regulation.

Richard
Old 02-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #8

On Entegras with Spartan Safe Haul, is there a separate lanyard to bleed the water out of tank?
Old 02-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
On Entegras with Spartan Safe Haul, is there a separate lanyard to bleed the water out of tank?

Bill,
On the one I installed there was no prevision to drain water from the tank.
If I understand correctly the toad braking system installed by Spartan the ping tank is installed up near the rear axle.
So the concern I have with this is if there is no lanyard how do you check for moisture / water.
Now with that said, I have a drain valve on ours but have never notice any moisture when opened. So maybe itís not a concern.
Richard
Old 02-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #10

I installed the AF1 on both coach and vehicle. Not very hard. To get under the coach I dumped all the air from the system. Used the rear leveling jacks to raise the rear of the coach. Then placed several 2x12 scraps I had laying around under the drive tires. Then lowered the coach on to the 2x12s. Don't forget to also use wheel chalks on the front as the parking brakes are only the rear wheels. So when in the air there are no brakes to keep the coach from moving.

Installed the ping tank just behind the DEF tank. Found a spot that I felt was protected from any road debris as well as easy to get to if needed. Application side came from off one of the rear brake cans. For supply I t'ed in just after the air dryer.

The one thing I did not like was the rubber dust covers for when disconnected for both the car and coach. I found some brass 1/8" quick connects and put brass plugs in them. So when I disconnect I use these cover fittings that I made.

4 years and 55k miles and have not had any problems. Really like the AF1 setup. Actually have both the P/U and Jeep setup with the AF1 so depending on where we are going/doing we have a choice of vehicle to drag along with us.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post

I was told that this is the Safe Haul tank. It can be seen looking under the DS near the rear wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis_Safe-Haul Air Tank1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	781.9 KB
ID:	316888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis_Safe-Haul Air Tank2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	680.7 KB
ID:	316889  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis_Safe-Haul Air Tank3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	316890  
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:34 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
That appears to be the ping tank with a lanyard attached, wonder where the relay and protection valve in located?
Richard
Old 02-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #13

Dewey

I'm confused by your pictures. Is the lanyard above the tank and through that metal plate or below the tank and the pictures are inverted?

Gary
Old 02-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Gary,
Looking at the pictures the drain valve is at bottom of the ping tank and lanyard goes through the side of that panel.
If you will notice in the picture also the coach drive shaft and the brake adjuster for the right side tag wheel that tells you the position of the ping tank.
Had to look at it awhile to figure out.
Richard

Tags
air, chassis