Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Alaska 2018

Looking to do an FMCA Fantasy Caravan 60+ day to Alaska next year. Anyone ever do this and if so do you have any suggestions?
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

Unless you enjoy beng on someone elses schedule, would recommend not going with a caravan. Get a copy of Milepost book, read up on what to see and where to stop. We could not justify the extra cost for a caravan when you can go on your own and see the sights. From my understanding if you really breakdown, the caravan will continue unless they can get it fixed right away and you will just have to catch up with them later.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I've done it several times but not via caravan. I'm sure they do a good job and can point out sights that are usually passed up but you are locked into their schedule. It's really nice to be on your own or maybe travel with another RV exploring what you want to and staying longer in areas that are interesting to you.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
After researching the caravan schedules and prices we decided to spend two summers, 4 months each trip, on our own for the money we would have spent on one 30 day caravan.
The caravans are good If you like to have everything laid out in advance. You will know the entire schedule of your trip, where you will be staying, and what sightseeing you will do prior to departing. Just wasn't enough flexibility for us. If there is something we really want to see and it is raining we just wait a day for the weather to clear. If we want to spend the night in an isolated area alone we find a pull out or gravel pit and have a quiet peaceful night alone. If we want to spend an extra day or two fishing or claming no problem.
Don't think I have ever seen a caravan at Teklanika in Denali!
Guess we are just to independent to fit into a regimented schedule. When I got out of the Army I promised myself I would never stand in a line again!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #5

We did an Alaska 60 day tour with Adventure Caravans in 2011. Had a great time and would do it again.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We have been to Alaska two times. The first was about six years ago and was about 35 days. Our 2016 caravan was much better. It was a Fantasy 62 day caravan that started in Anacortes, WA, and ended in Prince George, AB. They make all of the basic arrangements but there is no rush with ample time at each stop to do your own thing. We really enjoyed it. My DW did a rough calculation and we paid roughly what it would cost us individually if we did it on our own. Of course we mostly use full hook ups in established RV parks which is what we prefer. Also, if you do not have reservations at some of the more popular destinations you're out of luck.

For specifics I would suggest you look up the "Alaska 62 Day Your
Way" on the Fantasy RV tours website. BTW they do the FMCA tours.
dcphil_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #7

We looked at caravans and decided to follow the Mile Post routes and go it alone. Glad we did as we could sight see at our own pace. We ran into a lot of caravans on and off and the only problem was they tie up several rv parks when they are in the area that we were in. No problem just stay an extra day and let them get ahead out of the way. As far as security for breakdowns, not a problem. Everybody on the road will stop and help.
My advice is save the money, go on your own and take your time.
Edit to add: change you glass deductable on your coach and toed to 0 for thr trip.
good luck

pointrow
Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #8

We were on the same tour as Dave and Deanne and really enjoyed it. The key is that it was the tour they call Alaska "Your Way" (Fantasy), so they don't book a bunch of tours during the day, instead you do what you want to do. But they book where you stay and give your route briefings the night before each drive.
Van
Old 04-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We did Alaska on our own and the Canadian Atlantic Provinces with Fantasy. On our own was OK, but the I think the tour got us into lots of nooks and crannies that we would have missed on our own. The other point, is on a tour that long you might make some very good friends (we did). If you do the tour though, don't plan on loosing any weight
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
We did Alaska on our own and the Canadian Atlantic Provinces with Fantasy. On our own was OK, but the I think the tour got us into lots of nooks and crannies that we would have missed on our own. The other point, is on a tour that long you might make some very good friends (we did). If you do the tour though, don't plan on loosing any weight
I think we would X2 that. We made some good friends on our Atlantic Provinces trip and saw some things we might not have found on our own, Our thinking for going forward is that in a totally new area like the Provinces, we go first with a caravan and learn but deal with their pace. Then a second trip on our own.

Seems like it would work for us but maybe not everyone
Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Don't think I have ever seen a caravan at Teklanika in Denali!
Worth doing Tek to get 29 miles inside the park. The other two Denali NP. campgrounds are somewhat tight. Where as Teklanika's 56 sites, most will fit a 40' rig. We did 110 day trip last summer and plan to go back in 19'. The only thing I would do differently would : make a reservation to Lake Louise AB. and maybe leave a week earlier.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcphil_98 View Post
We have been to Alaska two times. The first was about six years ago and was about 35 days. Our 2016 caravan was much better. It was a Fantasy 62 day caravan that started in Anacortes, WA, and ended in Prince George, AB. They make all of the basic arrangements but there is no rush with ample time at each stop to do your own thing. We really enjoyed it. My DW did a rough calculation and we paid roughly what it would cost us individually if we did it on our own. Of course we mostly use full hook ups in established RV parks which is what we prefer. Also, if you do not have reservations at some of the more popular destinations you're out of luck.

For specifics I would suggest you look up the "Alaska 62 Day Your

Way" on the Fantasy RV tours website. BTW they do the FMCA tours.

Just signed up for this Alaska your way 62 day tour for 2018. Excited and no stress!!
Old 04-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #13

Hey Jim I hope your stay in El Paso ended well. We are in Middlebury at the moment. Hope to see you on the ALCAN next summer.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Roger and Debbie, thanks for the quick note. We're excited about the trip, but a little scared. Hope we don't damage the coach.