Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde1949 View Post
well the bottom line as it turned out is
Spartan says its normal or a loose wire and if it was a problem
it would set a code on the dash and it don't.
I've also been told " that's NORMAL " by Spartan on other issues and in this case I'd think Cummins has more knowledge.

I still believe you have an issue because cycling at start up is normal, 14 times IS NOT and in over 5 years of ownership I've never seen the alternator light after starting even with cycling.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2021, 11:28 AM   #16

Alt charging on and off

I just went to my coach and followed these suggestions about trouble shooting this problem

I unplug from shore power

Ran Generator to charge battery to bulk charging

Started engine and had same problem

Turned off Invertor and alt was normal

So what up ??
Ritk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritk View Post
I just went to my coach and followed these suggestions about trouble shooting this problem

I unplug from shore power

Ran Generator to charge battery to bulk charging

Started engine and had same problem

So what up ??

So, what IS the problem???

Generator or shore power should be exactly the same in terms of powering your converter or inverter/charger to charge the batteries.

What motorhome do you have? What converter or inverter/charger do you have.

More information means better answers.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #18
YC1

Why was the inverter on and what were you powering.

I suspect poor connections giving you these strange issues.

The alternator might be seeing a false (feedback/alternator sense), because some connections is not up to task.

A simple load on a bad connection can cause all kinds of issues.

Without knowing your exact setup I would recommend the following, which I seldom do without lots of voltage readings first.

Start at the batteries and clean and tighten everything in sight. Then look for the out of sight connections.

Disconnect the grounds of the battery banks and disconnect from shoreline before doing any cleaning.

Takes lots of pictures and concentrate on one little connection or area. It is so easy to drop a wire and not even notice.

Make a mental not of how tight each connection. That is, try to tighten them at first to see if they take a turn or so to tighten. Then and only then back them off and clean them.

You are "feeling" for a loose connection and "looking" for a bad connection. Green growing up a small cable or large is a huge flag.

I really like using my dremel tool with a drum sander to clean connections. Keep away from the batteries of course and keep them well ventilated.

Work your way to through the battery switches even if you have to dismount them to check connections on the back.

Follow the wires to the starter and clean them while you are at it.

Twelve volts has very little pressure/push and will not force its way through any contamination or loose connection..

Sure you can document and diagram everything as you go and take voltage measurements too for future use. I like to print out pictures and write the readings on those for late use. No way I can remember that many readings.

Take your time.

---------------------------------

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:51 PM   #19

I'm going to call this 'normal'. I don't LIKE it, nor thing it is, in fact, 'normal', but it is what my 2015 did and now, my 2022 does. I have always noticed it since the day I first picked it up and same with my 2022.

There is obviously some MAJOR 12 Volt load applied to the chassis for about 2 seconds, perhaps 4 times and then it stops being applied.

It'll draw down for 2 seconds, then come up for 2 seconds, then down, then up.

In my experience, it's maybe 4 times and then that major load is gone.

I think it has ZERO to do with Inverter, coach side etc. It MAY be the BIM (Battery Isolation Module) connecting and then disconnecting between the coach and the house batteries, but I doubt it. If it were, then one would see it while enroute.

It does this draw whether high idle, low idle etc.

So, I would say, 'no cause for concern' even though I am concerned about it. But it is typical and usual... so, 'normal'?

That's my observation. In other words, you're not alone and I have never suffered an ill effect from this phenomenon.
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by derba View Post
I'm going to call this 'normal'. I don't LIKE it, nor thing it is, in fact, 'normal', but it is what my 2015 did and now, my 2022 does. I have always noticed it since the day I first picked it up and same with my 2022.

There is obviously some MAJOR 12 Volt load applied to the chassis for about 2 seconds, perhaps 4 times and then it stops being applied.

Again, we have NO idea what coach you have.

If this is a diesel powered coach and this occurs on cold start up, indeed, it is normal.

You have a high-amp intake manifold heater. The colder the temperature, the longer it stays on. Its draw well exceeds alternator output, particularly at idle.

Again, if this is the only time it happens, all is normal.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #21

When you first start a Cummins, there are 2 electric grid heaters in the intake manifold that each draw about 90 amps.

The cycle on and off to warm the intake air for a cleaner startup. Cold diesels smoke.

That cycling will draw more amps then your alternator can output at idle speed, so the heaters are drawing off your batteries as they cycle causing the variations in voltage.

This is normal !!!
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Again, we have NO idea what coach you have.

Hi Brett,

The OP's signature shows as:

Clyde
2018 Anthem 44A

The signature is not always visible depending on the viewer's platform (phone, tablet, laptop or desktop.

His post is in the Entegra Owner's forum which is largely used by owners of Entegra coaches built on Spartan K2 or K3 chassis with Cummins ISL or ISX engines. The 2018 Anthem is equipped with the Cummins ISL450.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Brett,

The OP's signature shows as:

Clyde
2018 Anthem 44A

Take care,
Stu

And Derba??
Old 10-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #24
YC1

Quote:

So what up ??
Folks may have missed this. I assumed it was something you just now observed and added to the symptoms. Hence my rather long thread previously

Old 10-11-2021, 07:08 PM   #25

Alt going on and off

Have the same problem
When I turn the Invertor off problem goes away go figure
Old 10-12-2021, 05:28 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
And Derba??

Brett,
I don’t see any coach info in Derba’s signature. Most likely an Entegra from where the post is.
I believe Twinnboat is correct about the grid heater’s cycling.
Best of the day,
Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #27
YC1

Quote:
Have the same problem
When I turn the Invertor off problem goes away go figure

When you mean "turn the inverter off", are you positive you are turning the inverter off versus the whole device. That is, if it is a converter/inverter combination are you shutting it down?

My concern is that if you are on shoreline and have the engine running you can get these symptoms and they can be normal.

The inverter puts out 110volts of course and puts a heavy load on the batteries.

I would definitely want a voltage reading on the batteries under your current conditions when this happens.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #28

Alt going on and off

I had the same problem

Call Entegra and talked the Jordon and he fixed it for me

Give him a call He was a great help

Tags
alternator, charging