Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2021, 04:32 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I could only find one shut off valve but will look for the second one. Those plastic barbed fittings is what broke right on the back of the aquahot. Just glad the wife had the carpet cleaner in the coach. On my list to do now is change everyone to a brass barbed fitting so I don’t experience that bit of fun again .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2021, 05:20 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Phil, this is an excellent post you made for other "just acquired" Classic owners of the 13 and 14 vintage. In 14 many had the clamps coming loose or breaking from the pressure of the radiator. There was a recall issued, many did our own before the recall was issued, but your coach is an example that a few did not get or did not do the recall. It is a good thing to check for those second owners that the clamps on the back side of the Aqua Hot have been changed to screw clamps.

The carpeted panel on the back side of the AH does have to be removed from the passengers side. It is so worth checking that the recall has been done. Those that had 14's might remember it was almost a daily post of those clamps failing. Now it looks like the plastic barbs that went with the plastic clamps are ageing out.

Here is just one of the post when the clamps were a major problem and the TSB.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/aqu...ne-224481.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwprosser View Post
So, I know that comment is counter intuitive, but I can always be counted on to stick my foot in my mouth..

Given I live in Texas where we wont have another 100 year freeze (like we just had) I am thinking about shutting those 2 valves to close the circulation loop from the engine. That the preheat engine water loop and yes I know I would then loose my free heated water at the end of the day. Come fall turn handles back on. I think this is the second or third time in the last 2 years I have read about this happening. Any other thought would be welcomed..
John, there is nothing wrong with doing what you outlined. A previous rear-engine diesel coach we owned had a high ceiling and lots of big windows. Really hard to keep cool when traveling in hot weather.

It had shut-off valves for the loop of heater hose that ran up to the dash heater core and back to the engine. I always turned those valves to the off position when the weather was warm enough to not need the dash heater - just to be sure we weren't heating the heater core, no matter how slightly.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:14 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
We shut ours off since we don’t get anywhere where is gets that cold. I should have done that years ago.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #19

I've heard of aquahot, and presume it is a hot water source - my water heater has both propane and a 110v element ... not sure why anyone would need something more complex than what I have. Advantages?
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
I've heard of aquahot, and presume it is a hot water source - my water heater has both propane and a 110v element ... not sure why anyone would need something more complex than what I have. Advantages?
Most of our aqua hot units run on diesel which eliminates the need for propane on our coaches. Our aqua hot units use electric or diesel.

Some of our aqua hot’s have a loop that runs from the engine radiator to the aqua hot. That allows engine heat while driving to heat the coach. And we can heat the engine from the aqua hot before starting the engine in cold temperatures if needed.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #21

once you get back you really should dump it all again and only use distilled water and antifreeze in the cooling system. Minerals will leave deposits everywhere with regular water.
You can run it but most would advise long term usage.

I keep water onboard as well for this very reason, that and if we get to a park that the dog doens't like the water the tank has a few gallons of different water.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #22

As we all can see, there are more than one reason to travel with a full or almost full water tank. Nice save...
sally.moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:37 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Aquahot a risky convenience

I have a 2005 Wini Sightseer. One day I came in to a soaked carpet in the bedroom; pulled some drawers out and saw a leak on the water heater fitting. I shut off the hot water inflow and got to a repair shop (in beautiful urban Quartzsite) the next day. They told me I had an aqua hot and it would take days to get a replacement water heater. I thought about it for about 3 seconds (thinking, wait: what's an aqua hot anyway?) and had them put in a regular water heater. I still have a fan and radiator in the back which could blow air heated from the engine coolant, but I've never used it.

This definitely seems like something that introduces more failure modes than it's worth.
jorygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #24

My trawler had electric or engine coolant as heat sources for hot water - marine water heaters typically do not have a propane option. I recall that when I took a shower after a long day on engine the water could scald you - on electric it was adjustable and predictable. I suppose a touch pad on the wall to raise and lower your curtains has a certain appeal but for me - too much complexity for an operation easily performed manually. KISS
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #25

I agree with having fresh water on board for roadside
Potty breaks, cooking and cleaning.
We also found on occasion parks without power and/or water and it came in handy
I keep my tank full will stationary in case of water or power loss and when the park pressure is low, we shower from the tank with pump fir great pressure!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:29 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tools and parts

I too carry a lot of tools( Milwaukee) and as many parts as I can think of that I would be able to fix on the side of the road. The wife says I carry too much "Stuff". I tell her that stuff will hopefully get us to where we are going in case of a mechanical issue while we are away from home. No, I do not carry a spare tire. Not sure I could if I wanted to. I do carry a 20 ton air assisted bottle jack and a 3/4 impact wrench. If I need to remove an outside duel tire to slip on the front to get me going. I can. Though the off set is a lil different.
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Weight of water and gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Gee, I almost always make sure I have a full tank of fresh water before I depart any campground. You never know where you are going to end up being, or how long you are going to be there. The coach is already 25 tons……. What is a few more pounds due to 100 gallons of water going to do to fuel mileage…. And it makes the coach hold the road better on turns.
Gary
I get a little nervous on weights added to RV:
Gas = 6.1#/gal.
Diesel = 7#/gal
H20 = 8.34#/gal

bevnicka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #28

Congratulations! It’s always good to be prepared. I assume you were a Boy Scout.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water