Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Always carry your water tanks full

If you ever wonder why you should drive with your water tank full and always carry several gallons of fresh anti freeze theme here is why.

When driving today in Indiana 71 miles from our destination I was zipping along in the second lane and out of the blue the check engine light came on, 2 seconds later the high temperature light came on then the stop engine light. Fun times. Luckily I had just got away from all the narrow roads and construction so I immediately hung and right and got way off the side of the road. You would have loved to look on the car drivers faces as I moved over.

So I pull over and open the engine compartment and no coolant anywhere. Everything is bone dry. Let’s see if any of you can guess where all the coolant went?

Wrong guess

On the back of the aquahot there are 2 coolant lines that run for the engine. One of the cheap plastic barbed fittings that connect the 3/4 to 1/2” lines broke and the coolant went all in the bay. Boy was that fun cleaning up.

Since I carry about every fitting known to man and plenty of hose clamps I was able to quickly get in the bay and fix the issue. When I figured out the problem I had to change into my crappy clothes to keep the wife happy before I crawled into the bay on my belly and fixed the issue.

When the hose broke every once of coolant came out so I had to pump in coolant and water to get on the road again.

[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]

Happy Wednesday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9759.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	336003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9762.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	336004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9763.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	336005  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just curious and it probably doesn’t make any difference, but Spartan or Frieghtliner? I carry a lot of stuff too but never considered this one- have to check my inventory now....

Nice roadside save. Most folks would have been on the hook...literally
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
If you ever wonder why you should drive with your water tank full and always carry several gallons of fresh anti freeze theme here is why.

When driving today in Indiana 71 miles from our destination I was zipping along in the second lane and out of the blue the check engine light came on, 2 seconds later the high temperature light came on then the stop engine light. Fun times. Luckily I had just got away from all the narrow roads and construction so I immediately hung and right and got way off the side of the road. You would have loved to look on the car drivers faces as I moved over.

So I pull over and open the engine compartment and no coolant anywhere. Everything is bone dry. Let’s see if any of you can guess where all the coolant went?

Wrong guess

On the back of the aquahot there are 2 coolant lines that run for the engine. One of the cheap plastic barbed fittings that connect the 3/4 to 1/2” lines broke and the coolant went all in the bay. Boy was that fun cleaning up.

Since I carry about every fitting known to man and plenty of hose clamps I was able to quickly get in the bay and fix the issue. When I figured out the problem I had to change into my crappy clothes to keep the wife happy before I crawled into the bay on my belly and fixed the issue.

When the hose broke every once of coolant came out so I had to pump in coolant and water to get on the road again.

[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]
[ATTACH]

Happy Wednesday
Coach info please....Thank you for the heads up!
50sbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #4

If I remember correctly the 2013-2015 coaches had issues with those clamps coming loose. They need to be replaced with constant tension clamps. Lots of discussion back in 2014-2015 about the need for new clamps. I believe Entegra started using the correct hose clamps after that. I'll see if I can find some links to the discussions.

quick find:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ant...-246306-2.html
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #5

Good job! Pure water would have gotten you back on the road, but it’s nice that you had some coolant to mix in. I travel with 1/2 to full tank of water depending on our destination, 2 gallons of antifreeze, 2 gallons of oil, fuel filters, hose clamps and lots of tools.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:33 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
A 3/8 drive deep socket will connect two heater hoses together in a pinch.
Great roadside save right there. Nice Work!
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Phil, sure sorry to hear that. You just reminded me, on the 14's we changed those clamps to constant tension clamps, and IIRC there was a recall on the factory clamps. It has been so long I have forgotten about those......good reminder to check the clamps on the new coach. Thanks for the heads up.
Also on traveling with full water or close to it. We also had the need when our engine air compressor blew taking out the power steering pump and other items. Towed into Cummins on a rainy Friday night and spent 3 nights in the coach before they opened on Monday. Thankfully we had close to a full tank of water.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #8

Gee, I almost always make sure I have a full tank of fresh water before I depart any campground. You never know where you are going to end up being, or how long you are going to be there. The coach is already 25 tons……. What is a few more pounds due to 100 gallons of water going to do to fuel mileage…. And it makes the coach hold the road better on turns.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Very similar incident in our previous Monaco. While driving, low coolant light and temp light came on at the same time. Engine shut down. When I stepped out of the coach coolant was puking out all over the road right behind the passenger steer tire. Turns out the recirc pump for the engine block heater(all part of the aquahot system) cracked and started leaking all the coolant. So, we bypassed the pump, filled up with water from our fresh water tank to get home. Replaced the pump, flushed the system and filled with coolant again. To this day, we travel with an almost full fresh water tank in case we need to refill our radiator. :-)
relaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #10

OP has a 2013 which makes me I wonder if those plastic fittings are getting brittle with age and heat.?

Another temporary solution to one of those lines breaking is to find the shutoff valves on the engine. On the 600 there are two yellow handled ball valves. Hard to see them on the side of the motor but they are there. I would assume that the 450 has them also.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
So, I know that comment is counter intuitive, but I can always be counted on to stick my foot in my mouth..

Given I live in Texas where we wont have another 100 year freeze (like we just had) I am thinking about shutting those 2 valves to close the circulation loop from the engine. That the preheat engine water loop and yes I know I would then loose my free heated water at the end of the day. Come fall turn handles back on. I think this is the second or third time in the last 2 years I have read about this happening. Any other thought would be welcomed..
jwprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #12

Nice save ... most of us would have had to be towed ....
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for sharing.
I do travel with water tank near full.
But I do not have hose fittings or clamps. I just ordered an assortment of clamps and fittings to include a 3/4 to 1/2.

Thanks again.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:51 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yep, been there done that. I think the 450 has 2 shut off valves down low on the engine, driver side. I had a carpet cleaner with a truck mounted unit suck all the coolant out of the basement and rinse it.

Tags
tank, water