Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 12:02 PM   #1

Am I Expecting Too Much From My Dealership?

I’ve owned 2 trailers and 2 RVs so I am not new to this. One of the reasons I choose Entegra was for the 2 year warranty. Mine is a 2019 Esteem 29V. After an extended cross country trip it needed some warranty items addressed. I took it in and they estimated 2 weeks to get it all done. I was impressed that they got most of it done when I came to pick it up 17 days later. I discovered that they couldn’t replicate the 2 most serious issues, 1 being the levelers stopped working and 2, there was a leak in the fresh water tank that drained it in a day. The levelers suddenly began working so no issue there. The service writer wasn’t very good at listening as she put down the water tank leak as water on the floor in the bedroom despite me being very clear several times when describing it. She finally got it after me calling and checking on the progress but they said they couldn’t replicate it. The water tank was filled and on my return trip home I lost 1/3 of the tank due to the leak. They tracked a ton of dirt on my throw rugs. I could overlook some of it, like the dirty rugs, but then there were more issues.

On the trip home, I discovered they had switched on the outside speakers to listen to my radio while they worked. The worst thing was discovered on my camping trip yesterday. I went to hook up to the campground power and my twist and lock adapter to 30 AMP was gone. My 50 AMP to 30 AMP was also gone. My twist and lock to 15 AMP was there but it was in the wet bay, not in the power bay where I’d left it. A 25’ outdoor extension cord was also missing. I wasted 5 hours on Sunday of my first camping day chasing down replacements so I could power my RV.

This morning I called and the service writer said she wasn’t authorized to refund me the purchase price for the replacements. I told her to find out who was and have them contact me as I had to buy new ones. She claimed that they never use the customer’s adapters or cords as they may be defective. If that is the case, they have a thief on the hands as I knew they were all there when I dropped it off. I am waiting for her manager to call me. If they resolve this quickly I’ll post it here. If they don’t, I’ll be naming the dealership. This is the second time I had things go missing after I left my RV there. The last time I lost some very nice metal marshmallow roasting poles. I didn’t say anything that time as I figured they were set aside and they just forgot to put them back. This time I did remove my tools and other valuable stuff before I took it in. Am I being too picky?

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #2

Yeller

RV dealers run the gamut from high class operation to crooks posing as RV dealers. In the large 45' length motorcoach category, the dealers that are regarded as good and excellent are well known. The dealers that are generally considered incompetent or shysters are also well known.

Your issue is theft of merchandise in your coach which could be theft by people that work at the dealership, or much worse, theft by other owners or "lookers" who just happen to be near your coach after hours. The whole issue is how reliable is the dealership in making sure that your coach is locked up any time it is unattended. If the dealership is comfortable with the integrity of their personnel, then the worry is does their crew always lock up the unit when they are done with it for that day?

I recently had to leave my Cornerstone at NIRVC for about a week. They came to my house to pick up the coach and deliver it again a week later because of some problems in a "fix" that really did not get fixed. I have maybe $1,000 of tools in my coach, and of course 4 HD LED TVs and much other electronics. I considered removing the mechanics tools before I let them take the coach but decided against it.... I have been at NIRVC many times and always impressed with their people, even their people that move coaches in and out. Long story short, got the coach back and everything was exactly the way that I left. it... nothing missing. Very impressive. That is the way it should be. However, there are a lot of operations out there that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them.

From what you say is gone, my bet it was another owners with an RV that didn't have those items already, and found that your coach was left unlocked and decided that their best option was to "borrow" yours.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary, I would recommend taking your tools out. Not because I think NIRVC would steal them, but because "mistaken identity" happens all the time. It's easy to imagine a tech moving your tools because he needs to get to a panel behind them, for example, and then a different tech mistakenly thinking they were the shop's tools and "putting them away." That happened to us with our walkie-talkies. Fortunately, we have a different brand than NIRVC, so once somebody went looking for them they were easy to find. But boy would I have been peeved if I hadn't noticed they were missing until we had to back into a tricky spot at a campground a thousand miles away!

In short, if it's an item that a shop is likely to have, take it out of your coach or make sure it's clearly marked. I'd never leave a Snap-On wrench on my passenger seat when I took my car to the shop. Guarantee you somebody would assume it was one of theirs and take it.

Unfortunately, it sounds like OlYeller's SA has decided to get defensive, so even if it was a genuine mistake on the shop's part, the opportunity for an amicable resolution has likely passed. But still, a cautionary tale no matter what.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #4

Gary pretty much nailed it. There are a lot of crappy dealers out there. How close to Middlebury Indiana are you? If you're within a days drive it would be worth the trip. They are top notch there. If not, NIRVC will do warranty work on coaches regardless of where you bought it. They are also top notch

Also it would be helpful if you mentioned who your dealer is so it may serve as a warning for other potential victims

I hope everything get's fixed for you
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No - not to picky, however most of the RV dealerships as well as auto dealerships clearly state they are not responsible for lost or stolen items left in the vehicle.

In my new to me Ellipse I'm adding a lockable storage cabinet to store my additional 50 amp extension, Dog bones, etc. May add a 2nd one to safeguard the tools I keep in it.

Its terrible that we have to do thing like this but its a sign of the times. We've been RVing since 1972 and these last few years we seen vandalism and theft in CGs and dealerships explode.

Wish you the best in dealing with them - Richard
Old 07-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

It is possible they took them out when they worked on RV and then forgot to put them back. The manager may go in the shop and ask about the items and they may fine them laying around the shop.

I had a 5th wheel many years ago in the shop during winter. I picked the trailer up on a Friday and went to a camp ground. I go to turn the heat on and all it does is blow cold air. Go check the propane tanks and both were turned on and empty. I only turn one on at a time and when I have to switch I know to get the empty tank filled. With it being cold out they must have turned the heat on when they were inside working on it and forgot to turn the heat off when they
Old 07-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #7

Mind boggling. (knock wood) I never lock anything up. I never lock the basement. I only lock the coach door if I'm leaving the campground for the day.
I don't let anyone but me work on my coach, or if I have to it doesn't leave my sight, so that doesn't count.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #8

Long term storage, all small electronics and desirable power tools come out.
While camping, all baggage doors(unless I am working on something), gas caps, def cap are locked. Keeps those “honest” hands to themselves and not my stuff.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #9

It’s been explained to me that I shouldn’t name the dealership so I won’t be doing that. It’s unfair to the dealership and against the forum purpose to resolve dealer issues on this public forum. I’m in Washington state so Indiana is a long way away although I did have an appointment back in May when I was traveling there which got cancelled due to Covid.

It looks like I’ll have to find someone else to resolve my remaining issues. The department manager still hasn’t called me back yet. It is a cautionary tale for others to remove anything of value when leaving your rig for service that you can’t lock up.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Am I Expecting Too Much From My Dealership?

I would always consider taking out my tools but wouldn't think dogbones would be an item that would grow legs.

Thanks, Something to reconsider.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #11

I have a number of friends who all have nice things to say about "Beaver Coach Sales" in Oregon. You might consider them as a possibility.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:49 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
It’s been explained to me that I shouldn’t name the dealership so I won’t be doing that. It’s unfair to the dealership and against the forum purpose to resolve dealer issues on this public forum. I’m in Washington state so Indiana is a long way away although I did have an appointment back in May when I was traveling there which got cancelled due to Covid.

It looks like I’ll have to find someone else to resolve my remaining issues. The department manager still hasn’t called me back yet. It is a cautionary tale for others to remove anything of value when leaving your rig for service that you can’t lock up.

Unfair to the dealership? Then what is the purpose of posting the problem?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
.It is a cautionary tale for others to remove anything of value when leaving your rig for service that you can’t lock up.

I have owned RV's for years and do not leave my coach except on a very rare occasions and never at an RV dealer I am self contained and can easily stay in the coach until it's repaired and do.

The few times I have left a coach, valuables are removed.. If dollar hot dog sticks are being removed, that is more than likely clientele of that dealership. Which would indicate the dealer is not securing your coach.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #14

Absolutely should be naming dealers that provide poor service. What is fair is that they provide excellent service to customers or be called out on it and maybe lose those customers. These dealers, especially in WA, (where I live too) need to up their game. I'd never take my rig to RV Country for service. I bought a rig from them and even my salesman told me to never bring my rig back for service. That is why I drive to NIRVC in Vegas (and why I asked Brett Davis to hurry up and open a new one closer to me... LOL). For chassis work there is a Cummins Coach Care facility in Coburg OR who did some good work for me, so there is an option for that type of service.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer