Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Americas Mailbox

I have been researching relocation to a more tax friendly state for some time now. NY has gotten way out of control. I ran across Americas Mailbox and wondered if anyone else has heard of them. From what I am reading South Dakota is a pretty easy state in which to establish residency.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested
https://americasmailbox.com
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We use St. Brendans Isle in Green Cove Springs Florida. They have great mail forwarding service. They help you establish residency, get license and tags. Florida is tax friendly. Here is the link:

https://www.sbimailservice.com/
Capt. Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve View Post
We use St. Brendans Isle in Green Cove Springs Florida. They have great mail forwarding service. They help you establish residency, get license and tags. Florida is tax friendly. Here is the link:

Escapees is another good resource. We’ve been members for 6+ years. They also are a good resource for the do’s and don’ts of establishing a domicile.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #4

We have been members of Americas Mailbox for 6 years. They helped us become South Dakota residence. They will help you with all that needs to be done to become residence of South Dakota, address, drivers license, insurance, and etc. They were very helpful. Handling of the mail is excellent and has many options. When we request a mail shipment it is usually delivered to where ever we are at within three business days.

Note that if you are going to become full-timers you will need in the eyes of the IRS a physical address and Americas Mailbox can provide you with that. Also note that you will need to register your wills and other legal documents to South Dakota as well so you will need a South Dakota Attorney. I have no recommendations for that. Good Luck.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve View Post

X2 on SBI, had them for almost 10 years now. Getting a scan of new mail and the option to have the service open and scan mail upon request (and email you the PDF) is a big plus.

Also, there are many considerations in regard to establishing domicile. A couple of other points besides what has been already mentioned, if under 65 make sure you can get health care with full nationwide coverage (the options have become pretty limited if you are on your own for health care, suggest checking out Health Insurance Plans for RVers - RVer Insurance Exchange). Also make sure the mail forwarders address is recognized in such a way that you can officially register to vote, there were some issues with this in FL recently that SBI has resolved.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Buddy, compare the two. I also use St. Brendans Isle when we travel and live in FL. If you establish domicile in FL. It is an income tax free state, big savings and why we moved our business here 30 years ago. Sales tax is 6% state, and maybe a county tax, ours is .5% total 6.5%. Also if you register a vehicle you already own from another state, after you have owned it for 6 months, there is no tax on the transfer. Very friendly for those moving from other states, or MT LLC's. Plate fees are $48-$54. per year. No value or ownership tax each year. Also no sales tax on the trade in value of a new purchase. I don't know what SD long term tax value is, but those are the ones for FL. Higher sales tax up front, but compare the long term.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Buddy, compare the two. I also use St. Brendans Isle when we travel and live in FL. If you establish domicile in FL. It is an income tax free state, big savings and why we moved our business here 30 years ago. Sales tax is 6% state, and maybe a county tax, ours is .5% total 6.5%. Also if you register a vehicle you already own from another state, after you have owned it for 6 months, there is no tax on the transfer. Very friendly for those moving from other states, or MT LLC's. Plate fees are $48-$54. per year. No value or ownership tax each year. Also no sales tax on the trade in value of a new purchase. I don't know what SD long term tax value is, butt hose are the ones for FL. Higher sales tax up front, but compare the long term.
SD sales tax is ~4.5% with essentially the same vehicle transfer tax $.00 providing I have proof that tax has been paid. However, I think the two year registration fee for motorhomes is $12-18 per thousand lbs GVW which is steep. Still researching. One thing is certain, I have to escape NY.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
I have been researching relocation to a more tax friendly state for some time now. NY has gotten way out of control. I ran across Americas Mailbox and wondered if anyone else has heard of them. From what I am reading South Dakota is a pretty easy state in which to establish residency.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested
https://americasmailbox.com
I'm full time, and use Americas Mailbox. It's extremely easy to set up residency in SD. You can do it in a day with time to spare. Americas Mailbox will be happy to help you with the process. I've been using them for less than a year, but so far they've done everything I expected.

SD doesn't have an annual vehicle inspection program, so you won't have to physically return there every year for a new sticker. Vehicle registration/plate renewals can also be done online so you never have to return for that either. Title paperwork can be handled completely through the mail with the county treasurer's office, so getting a new vehicle doesn't mean you have to return to SD either. DLs can be renewed online for the odd numbered renewals. Even numbered renewals require physical presence in the state, but that's once every 10 years and you've got a 6 month window to do it in. I'm pretty sure anybody can work that into the schedule.

If you go to Americas Mailbox to get everything set up, be sure to stop by Mt. Rushmore while you're there. Americas Mailbox is in Box Elder, which is just outside of Rapid City, a short drive over to Rushmore. If you're a motorcycle rider, be sure to bring it with you. The Black Hills are wonderful on a bike.

Edit: This isn't a subforum that I frequent. I just noticed the thread on the sidebar and clicked on it. Try posting in the full time section and you should get tons of people to give you feedback about Americas Mailbox. (Yes it bothers me that there is no apostrophe in "Americas", but that's how they spell it.)
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #9

We also are using America’s MB. We will use them for the next two years then re evaluate our options.
No complaints with their service, nor assistance in getting established. We don’t have much mail going to our mailbox there as yet but it’s worked well so far.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
X2 on SBI, had them for almost 10 years now. Getting a scan of new mail and the option to have the service open and scan mail upon request (and email you the PDF) is a big plus.

Also, there are many considerations in regard to establishing domicile. A couple of other points besides what has been already mentioned, if under 65 make sure you can get health care with full nationwide coverage (the options have become pretty limited if you are on your own for health care, suggest checking out Health Insurance Plans for RVers - RVer Insurance Exchange). Also make sure the mail forwarders address is recognized in such a way that you can officially register to vote, there were some issues with this in FL recently that SBI has resolved.

Yes, SBI fixed the issue. We registered to vote last week.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Buddy, compare the two. I also use St. Brendans Isle when we travel and live in FL. If you establish domicile in FL. It is an income tax free state, big savings and why we moved our business here 30 years ago. Sales tax is 6% state, and maybe a county tax, ours is .5% total 6.5%. Also if you register a vehicle you already own from another state, after you have owned it for 6 months, there is no tax on the transfer. Very friendly for those moving from other states, or MT LLC's. Plate fees are $48-$54. per year. No value or ownership tax each year. Also no sales tax on the trade in value of a new purchase. I don't know what SD long term tax value is, but those are the ones for FL. Higher sales tax up front, but compare the long term.

We transferred our coach and toad from GA to FL last week. Got licenses as well. Total cost was around $950. No taxes as we paid them in another state,just the fees. Registration on the coach and toad is for 2 years. Licenses are good for 8 years. We have a 2017 Cornerstone and a 2018 F150.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #12

Another quick word about SD. There is no need for CDLs or special endorsements on your driver's license for RVs over 26,000 pounds. The standard Class 1 DL is good for everything non-commercial except motorcycles. Weight doesn't matter to them if you're not getting a CDL. And by extension, all other states that you tow through honor that. South Dakota tries to keep things simple, which I like.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #13

We've done a few of them.

Insurance is very high in Florida. (Hurricanes and old people)

Obamacare is tough in South Dakota.

Before you make a move, look at everything. Sales tax, state tax, and healthcare.

After a year as "Florida residents", we ended up in Tennessee. But Tennessee sales tax is high, not recommended for those planning to buy a coach.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
We've done a few of them.

Insurance is very high in Florida. (Hurricanes and old people)

Obamacare is tough in South Dakota.

Before you make a move, look at everything. Sales tax, state tax, and healthcare.

After a year as "Florida residents", we ended up in Tennessee. But Tennessee sales tax is high, not recommended for those planning to buy a coach.
Our HC is paid for life with DW's retirement. Plus I am a wounded vet so I get free VA healthcare. I don't think that's a concern. Lisa doesn't pay state tax on her retirement income in NY because she is in NYS retirement system. All good.. Not so good is SS and investment income are subject to NYS tax. There is a lot to consider here. Thanks to everyone for all your helpful input.