Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

An I10 lament

We suffered our fourth rock in the windshield all occurring on I10. Three have been repaired, the fourth we'll get repaired in Tucson. A couple of words of advice. 1). Always get full glass coverage. None of the repairs have cost a dime other than the premium. 2). And the Safelite glass guy told me this, carry some clear packaging tape with you. A small piece put over the wound will keep dirt and moisture out and make the repair better. I also will add that it helps make the wound less eye catching.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry, thanks for the tip on the tape.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

I've read a lot of I10 being bad on this an other forums, but have not seen it moving from East (Florida) to West. Been near Gulfport for the past couple of weeks and heading west to Beaumont Tx, tomorrow with a TOAD. On Thursday on to Corpus Chisti. Will be taking I10 to I12 and back to I10. Will I hit this bad stretch of interstate that has broken yr window numerous times?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
I've read a lot of I10 being bad on this an other forums, but have not seen it moving from East (Florida) to West. Been near Gulfport for the past couple of weeks and heading west to Beaumont Tx, tomorrow with a TOAD. On Thursday on to Corpus Chisti. Will be taking I10 to I12 and back to I10. Will I hit this bad stretch of interstate that has broken yr window numerous times?

It's not the highway, it's what travels on it and my bad luck. Trucks that go out into construction sites seem to have a predisposition to throwing rocks at you.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Several years ago, we took a long anticipated trip to Alaska. Drove through many kilometers of gravel and muddy roads in BC and the Yukon as well as through many miles of similar roads in Alaska. All throughout the trip we never had a rock hit our windshield.

Last year on a trip to California and then onto Yellowstone, I was driving our current coach on a very smooth interstate in Utah when we drove into a construction zone. For about 3 miles the four lane divided highway went down to a two lane highway with a concrete barrier dividing the lanes. A truck going the opposite direction kicked up a rock and cracked my windshield. When we got to the KOA in salt Lake City, I contacted Progressive Insurance who sent out a Safelite glass guy to fix the crack. He couldn't repair it but did stop it from advancing. He also said to put clear packaging tape over the worst part of the crack.

I finally got the windshield replaced by taking my coach to the Tiffin factory in Red Bay, Al. Good thing that I had full glass replacement with no deductible with Progressive as the job cost about $1500.00. Just got my renewal notice from them...no increase in the premium.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
X2 on the tape Doggie...I learned the hard way. If I would have known that tip years ago, my first chip would not have been permanent looking after the repair. Good tip and thanks for sharing.

I no longer wait until I get home. I stop at the first large truck stop and there is normally a mobile guy in the area. $15. to $20. and its done. I have full glass coverage (free in FL) but I want it fixed ASAP after dirt got in my first chip.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #7

On our 13 Anthem we were on I-10 coming from Florida toCorpus Christy and got a windshield chipped east of Beaumont on the long swamp bridge, did not have 1500 miles yet, had just picked it up at RV One. Got it repaired the next day by a mobile glass guy and it was still holding when we traded it. 🚌🚗
Old 03-04-2015, 06:22 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We've had so many chips I simply bought my own chip repair kit. It's not the the cost of getting a chip fixed, because usually the insurance companys pay it all, it's the waste of time and aggravation to get a mobile guy or having to go to a windshield shop.

I carry the kit in the coach but I've fixed plenty of our truck windshields in our business also. It's super simple, well worth the cost.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #9

Knock on wood, but made it from Gulfport to Houston on I-10 without any broken windows or problems. Only issue was the wind on the long swamp bridge in Louisiana out of the South. Felt hurricane force, but was probably only 15 gusting 25 but straight on the side of the MH. Made for some white knuckle driving for at least 150 miles or so.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Made it safely from Mobile to Austin. Only the toad gets chips. Maybe new RV with side radiator will help.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote