RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Annual inspection

Today I started my annual inspection and service on my 2017 Anthem. I started this year by opening the engine covers in the aft
bath and closet (44B) and then moving to the underside of the engine. My aluminum tape is coming off in many places, so I will have to clean and re-tape most of the engine compartment. Much to my surprise, most of my turbo hose clamps needed a significant amount of tightening, most likely due to the aging and heat in the engine compartment. The side radiator hydraulic hose was loose enough to be leaking a little fluid and I will be changing the fan belt for the AC and the main belt. I continue to be surprised at how many of these clamps seem to loosen up every year. Time is well spent inspecting cleaning, tightening and writing up the repair list. Tomorrow I’ll start on the brakes and air system.
Les1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Sounds like an aircraft annual. At least you don't have t take a compression test.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Sounds like an aircraft annual. At least you don't have t take a compression test.
Exactly what I was thinking
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
With some aviation background it comes kind of naturally The concept of inspect, document and repair and record works well for me. These are amazing machines, with numerous systems, I have learned a lot and enjoy the un harried time I spend working on her.
Les1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The best used Entegra to purchase is one from a pilot. Well maintained and usually perfect kept maintenance records. Being a previous USAF mechanic it is hard to break the training. Every buyer I have sold a coach to has really appreciated it, especially the corporate pilot from Canada.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I may not be a pilot in this lifetime, but must have been in a previous one. The last tow rig I sold had all the maintenance and records from the day it came off the lot, every item added to the truck was there, that was an 04 Dodge Dually, 310,000 on it. Yes the new owner was pleased to have it.
jwprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:38 AM   #7

I have a couple spots where the tape is coming loose in my engine compartment. Is there s preferred brand of tape to use for this application?
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
I have a couple spots where the tape is coming loose in my engine compartment. Is there s preferred brand of tape to use for this application?
search amazon for wire harness tape, get the high temp stuff.
2 types you will find cloth type ( friction tape) and a non adhesive type.

Use the non adhesive stuff for long runs or bundling then terminate the end with the friction tape.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:40 AM   #9

Used to work for a national coach co in Australia.
Fleet consisted of 186 passenger coaches and I was the only A/C tech. I saw every one on average of every 6 weeks for a quick check. About an hour.

I also did an annual inspection that was very indepth and usually took 6-8 hrs just on the air conditioning and heating systems alone. Did it pay off? Sure did. The on road failures of these systems dropped to near zero.
A stitch in time as it were.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
search amazon for wire harness tape, get the high temp stuff.
2 types you will find cloth type ( friction tape) and a non adhesive type.

Use the non adhesive stuff for long runs or bundling then terminate the end with the friction tape.
I was referring to the aluminized tape that seals the engine compartment
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:06 AM   #11

For your hose clamps that loosen, you might look into constant tension clamps. They are designed to accommodate the thermal expansion and compensate for shrinking parts in colder temps.

Lots of places to get them, but here is an example:

https://www.mcmaster.com/constant-te...ith~soft-hose/

Lots of vintage bus owners use these to help eliminate the constant seasonal dripping on coolant lines. When my coach goes to the shop (where they work on a few fleets of commercial coaches) these are their go-to when a clamp needs replacement.

Nice job doing the full annual inspection. Would love to see more owners doing this thorough of an inspection, as it would eliminate lots of problems we see.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:27 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’m a private pilot as well and I look at the RV as no different from what I was taught. “Where do you want to find the maint issue, right here in a controlled environment or somewhere out there”.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
I’m a private pilot as well and I look at the RV as no different from what I was taught. “Where do you want to find the maint issue, right here in a controlled environment or somewhere out there”.
Well said.

For us in the vintage coach world, these pre-trip inspections become even more important as things are 1) more likely to go bad due to age, and 2) it's more likely that parts/service will be more difficult on the road.

Great reminder to everyone to develop and stick to a thorough pre-trip inspection ritual.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
I stopped by a commercial AC supply house and asked for the best metallic duct tape they had, then showed them a picture of the engine bay and what I was going to use it for. No brand name on the roll, but it WORKED! That stuff was unreal.