Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #29

This DEF issue is WAY out of hand, somebody should face some heavy blow back from this... I’m finally back on the today... headed to Michigan... Spartan & CoachNet worked hard I’m thankful.... but as stated above it’s only going to get worse ✝️[emoji120]
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2021, 10:57 PM   #30

Glad to hear you got everything taken care of. Best wishes for safe (and uneventful) travels.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:51 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Our head unit went out at about 5,000 miles and the coach was about 5 months old. Spent about a week at the Cummins shop in east Phoenix waiting for the part part and a slot in their service bay. Tiffin shipped the part to Cummins. Cummins does have 50 amp hookups so made it somewhat easier. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:07 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
Our head unit went out at about 5,000 miles and the coach was about 5 months old. Spent about a week at the Cummins shop in east Phoenix waiting for the part part and a slot in their service bay. Tiffin shipped the part to Cummins. Cummins does have 50 amp hookups so made it somewhat easier. Jeff
I hope you will join others filing a complaint with NHTSA in hopes that pressure can be put on the manufactures of the constant faulty equipment that leaves end uses stranded. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/def...sa-518276.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
There are a lot of failures of the replacement DEF heads because they are the same as, or very little different from, the failed heads.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:22 AM   #34

Here’s one more. Had the dreaded three fault codes on May 31(Memorial Day) near Camp Verde, AZ. We had 84 miles to go to Williams so called Spartan emergency number. They were great but said nothing they could do then, try to make it to Williams and let them know if we made it or had to stop on the way. White knuckled it to Williams but no issues at all. Coachnet was fantastic and kept us informed throughout process. Got part, and fixed with no cost to us, though the repairman/installer ironically came from Camp Verde, on 6/4. We were staying in Williams a week anyway, so didn’t even change our plans. We feel lucky under the circumstances.
gbrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:16 AM   #35

I filed a complaint online with the NHTSA. Two days later I received a phone call concerning my complaint. They ask a few general questions about the codes I received and if I had any warning before the de-rate began. I think the caller was to determine if the de-rate happened while I was still on the highway and if so did it leave me stranded on the side of the road. When I told him the re-rate did not happen immediately and I was able to continue driving to the nearest service center he said "oh ok" and that was the end of the conversation. I got the feeling that he was only concerned if I broke down on the side on the road or not. If I could continue driving, no big deal.
Marta1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #36

We’re in the club now

2018 Dutch Star. Last Friday (before Memorial Day) our alarms went off just as we were exiting for our RV park in Nephi, UT. Thankfully Doyle’s Diesel is 1/4 mile away. They ran the diagnostic and confirmed my assumption...DEF head. Contacted Spartan after hours and Dave confirmed they had one but everything was closed and it wouldn’t ship until Tuesday. Again, thankfully, Rollin In RV park shuffled things around and made space for us over the holiday weekend. Doyle’s replaced the sensor and we were on our way early Wednesday afternoon. Today, the following Friday, alarms went off because we blew a coolant line. Waiting in a truck stop for the mechanic!
Jkhbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #37

Was the cooling line for the DEF head the one that blew?
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkhbird View Post
2018 Dutch Star. Last Friday (before Memorial Day) our alarms went off just as we were exiting for our RV park in Nephi, UT. Thankfully Doyle’s Diesel is 1/4 mile away. They ran the diagnostic and confirmed my assumption...DEF head. Contacted Spartan after hours and Dave confirmed they had one but everything was closed and it wouldn’t ship until Tuesday. Again, thankfully, Rollin In RV park shuffled things around and made space for us over the holiday weekend. Doyle’s replaced the sensor and we were on our way early Wednesday afternoon. Today, the following Friday, alarms went off because we blew a coolant line. Waiting in a truck stop for the mechanic!
Is your coach on a Spartan chassis? If so, I have some information regarding failed coolant hose that may be of interest.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:56 AM   #39

Coolant hose failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Is your coach on a Spartan chassis? If so, I have some information regarding failed coolant hose that may be of interest.
Yes, it is a Spartan chassis. In fact we had a major coolant hose failure yesterday so I can’t wait to hear how that may be related to the DEF head failure.
Jkhbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkhbird View Post
Yes, it is a Spartan chassis. In fact we had a major coolant hose failure yesterday so I can’t wait to hear how that may be related to the DEF head failure.
I doubt your coolant hose failure is related to the DEF system, unless the shop that replaced your DEF head somehow damaged one of the two coolant hoses that attach to the DEF head unit. Assuming that isn’t the case…

Our 2018 Entegra Cornerstone is on a Spartan K3 chassis. Your 2018 Dutch Star is, I assume, on a Spartan K2 chassis, but what follows is probably just as applicable to a 2018 coach on a K2 chassis as it was to our 2018 coach on a K3 chassis.

On your chassis and mine, there are a number of “coolant hoses” – some large diameter hoses between the radiator and the engine, and a number of smaller diameter coolant hoses that run to the DEF tank & back, to the dash heater core & back, and in my case to an Aqua-Hot hydronic heating unit & back. Your Newmar will have an Oasis hydronic heating system rather than an Aqua-Hot and you may or may not have coolant hoses running to the Oasis unit & back. If you know the particular hose that failed, please post that.

In our case, we were traveling through Montana on state highway 200 in late August 2019. The coach had just under 24,000 miles on it at the time. A warning appeared on the dash indicating engine overheating. VERY fortunately, we were only a few miles from a rest stop. Once there, I determined the problem was a ruptured “heater hose.” I put “heater hose” in quotes because the particular hose that ruptured ran from the engine to the Aqua-Hot, but the same brand of hose was also installed by Spartan between the engine & the dash heater core and between the engine & the DEF tank.

The rupture in the hose was adjacent to where the hose connected to the input side of a shut-off valve. As such, I was able to cut off the ruptured section and reattach the hose to the valve. From there, I refilled the cooling system with water from the rest area and we were able to continue on.

Attached are two photos of the ruptured hose. The second of the two photos has a dime inserted into the damaged area of the hose to provide perspective.

The third photo is a length of the hose Spartan originally installed on our chassis. As you can see, the hose is 3/4” I.D. heater hose, the manufacturer is a company called Thermoid and the hose was made in the USA. So far so good. But when I looked up that particular heater hose in the Thermoid catalog, I determined it was spec’ed for light duty automotive use. The catalog listed various other heater hose options, all of which were rated for heavier duty use than the hose Spartan chose to install. As you might expect, I was not happy about that decision.

As luck would have it, we were headed for Spartan for other work. I contacted them, explained the problem, and was assured they would take care of it once we arrived. We almost made it to Spartan’s facility in Charlotte, Michigan before a second failure of the same hose occurred. Fortunately, that failure was on the output side of a shut-off valve, so I was able to solve that one simply by closing the shut-off valve.

In any case, Spartan did the right thing and replaced ALL of the Thermoid heater hose on the coach with significantly higher quality hose. If your hose failure turns out to be 3/4” I.D. Thermoid heater hose I would highly recommend you ask them to do the same on your coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Failed Heater Hose.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	330902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Failed Heater Hose with Dime Inserted.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	330903  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermoid Heater Hose.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	330904  
Old 06-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta1907 View Post
I filed a complaint online with the NHTSA. Two days later I received a phone call concerning my complaint. They ask a few general questions about the codes I received and if I had any warning before the de-rate began. I think the caller was to determine if the de-rate happened while I was still on the highway and if so did it leave me stranded on the side of the road. When I told him the re-rate did not happen immediately and I was able to continue driving to the nearest service center he said "oh ok" and that was the end of the conversation. I got the feeling that he was only concerned if I broke down on the side on the road or not. If I could continue driving, no big deal.
I was fortunate, my contact said they were moving it on to the defective product division. I guess it is which government employee opens the email. Thankfully there are enough complaints being filed, I doubt they will file 13 this.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:12 PM   #42

On our Newmar the DEF hoses are a bright blue and are different then the Entegra DEF hose that burst.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote