Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #43

Thermoid Hoses

I have the same hoses but 5/8” ID - P/N 078698182612. The mechanic told me they were the wrong hose for a Cummins diesel and replaced the blown hose with a high temp hose. Thanks for the background, I’m going to have them all replaced.

Jay Hennig
2018 Newmar Dutch Star
450 Cummins ISL - Spartan K2 Chassis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2028E9F-9BB4-4CE5-BE9B-DE5CC86EEA27.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	331048   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B9D6DC3-159F-4BA5-AD73-7DAE92D94CDF.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	331049  

Jkhbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #44

On our 04 Essex with a Spartan K-2 chassis with a 500 ISM engine in the 1st year we were pulled over 3 times with burst heater hoses. Each time the outside cabinet area was soaked in coolant and had to spend a couple hours cap off heater hoses to Hydro-Hot and dash heater. The heater hoses were marked (Standard Grade) which we know is the lowest grade you can use. This hose was very thin and was very surprised that Spartan would put this low grade heater hose which runs in the frame rails on their chassis.
Replaced this poor grade hose with green strip marine grade hose which was twice as thick plus put gate valves both at the engine connection and Hydro-Hot / dash heater.
Over 40 hours of work and almost 1K in hoses, clamps and gate valves. Had that coach for 13 years after replacing heater hoses and 130K mores miles with no heater hose problems.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #45

I’ve just had by DEF head changed, parking lot for three days. My question/worry is what makes the new one any better then the one that just went out? Should I expect another break down soon? It’s definitely not out of the question is it.... and so my family and I are at risk of being in another parking lot for days or who knows how long for a problem they knew they had for a while.... and yes I’ve filled a complaint
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
I’ve just had by DEF head changed, parking lot for three days. My question/worry is what makes the new one any better then the one that just went out? Should I expect another break down soon? It’s definitely not out of the question is it.... and so my family and I are at risk of being in another parking lot for days or who knows how long for a problem they knew they had for a while.... and yes I’ve filled a complaint
Well, my 21, with a gen 5 head failed a day before they delivered it. It was replaced with a gen 6, and I have a spare Gen 6. They are up to gen 7 now as gen 6's have also failed. What gen did you get?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #47

Not sure, but I just got it put on less than a week ago 🤷🏻
Old 06-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #48

Def.

I have replaced mine as well 12,000 miles on my coach. Entegra Cornerstone
rflatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #49

Unfortunately the DEF head issue is industry-wide and not related to any chassis manufacturer. Worst still, it is my understanding that the replacements are identical to the failed units so another failure is eminent. We have changed countless DEF heads on all motorhome chassis’s.
BillyThib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #50

Where did you purchase the replacement def head ?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #51

The DEF head for your 2121 Essex on a Spartan K-3 chassis would be purchased from Spartan. At this time there are none available and a number of Newmar and Entegra owners coaches are sitting unable to use their coaches because their DEF head isn't working which cause the computer to shut the engine down. As stated earlier in this post this isn't just Spartan, FL Cummins problem but almost all HD diesel engines with 2016 our newer emissions.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:28 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyThib View Post
Unfortunately the DEF head issue is industry-wide and not related to any chassis manufacturer. Worst still, it is my understanding that the replacements are identical to the failed units so another failure is eminent. We have changed countless DEF heads on all motorhome chassis’s.
It’s looking more and more to be a Spartan problem. There’s another thread about this
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #53

I have heard you can “bypass “ the DEF.... “trick” the computer in the engine into thinking it’s working.... I know it’s drastic but so is sitting in a parking lot thousands of miles from home with little ones.... I’m at the point that if they can’t fix it..... I’m ok with “tricking “ it....
Old 06-09-2021, 08:00 AM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurleys RV View Post
Is it me or does it seem the majority of these go out right before the 20,000 mile mark? Mine was around 19,500 miles. That being said when mine went I took the chance and drove 400 miles home. I made it home and then to the local Cummins dealer. I now have the Gen 6 but every trip the worry is still in the back of my mind that it will go out again at some point and I wont be so lucky.

Mine went out at 58,000 2014 Aspire DEQ
SharonandRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
I have heard you can “bypass “ the DEF.... “trick” the computer in the engine into thinking it’s working.... I know it’s drastic but so is sitting in a parking lot thousands of miles from home with little ones.... I’m at the point that if they can’t fix it..... I’m ok with “tricking “ it....
I spent a lot of time on trucker forums etc. trying to learn of a proven source that will "trick" the system. So far nothing, just claims that it "might" work and a phone number if it doesn't. I was not able to find any documentation with a DEF head with the 3031 and 1761 code into derate that were able to be back on the road without changing the DEF head.
If such documentation exists I hope someone will post it. I spent an entire weekend on YouTube and did not find the first video that even came close.

If it is a complete bypass of the system, that I imagine it is possible, but it's not very public and must be word of mouth. Plus RV fall into a different class than truck owner operators. We have a much longer warranty than most truckers do and do not want to void the warranty. Truckers are normally out of warranty in a short period of time with mileage, except the emission warranty. However, how many can afford to sit for a week waiting for a DEF head to arrive? That would be a $10,000 DEF head. I can see where they would bypass and move on to the next load.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I spent a lot of time on trucker forums etc. trying to learn of a proven source that will "trick" the system. So far nothing, just claims that it "might" work and a phone number if it doesn't. I was not able to find any documentation with a DEF head with the 3031 and 1761 code into derate that were able to be back on the road without changing the DEF head.
If such documentation exists I hope someone will post it. I spent an entire weekend on YouTube and did not find the first video that even came close.

If it is a complete bypass of the system, that I imagine it is possible, but it's not very public and must be word of mouth. Plus RV fall into a different class than truck owner operators. We have a much longer warranty than most truckers do and do not want to void the warranty. Truckers are normally out of warranty in a short period of time with mileage, except the emission warranty. However, how many can afford to sit for a week waiting for a DEF head to arrive? That would be a $10,000 DEF head. I can see where they would bypass and move on to the next load.
The unit is called a sensor simulator. In my earlier days I use to sell them. They basically are a box with a number of leads. Also a series of knobs that allow you to reproduce the right resistance or voltage that is produced by the sensor. I have used them many times for diagnostic purposes

The challenge is those voltages and resistances need to be measured from a working unit then reproduced with the simulator
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote