Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Another Bad DEF Head

If someone is keeping score add another head failure. We just got back from a 3,600 mile, 29 day trip. I added 6-8 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF during the trip, no engine issues during the trip. The coach has been in the drive for 3 days, just started it to return it to storage and the dreaded Check Engine light came up with the 3 DEF head codes. Coach is out of chassis warranty but not emissions warranty so Spartan will send a new head to Industrial Power in Ft. Worth and they will change it next week.

Shane said thereís no issue driving it ~40 miles to IP but I am hesitant to move it to storage before hand.

I used 1 jug of Blue DEF on the trip, the rest was Walmart. I checked every jug with a refractometer before I poured them in. 19,076 miles on the coach.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the club, Vance!

At present we're a relatively exclusive group, but membership is growing at a high rate of speed...
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
If someone is keeping score add another head failure. We just got back from a 3,600 mile, 29 day trip. I added 6-8 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF during the trip, no engine issues during the trip. The coach has been in the drive for 3 days, just started it to return it to storage and the dreaded Check Engine light came up with the 3 DEF head codes. Coach is out of chassis warranty but not emissions warranty so Spartan will send a new head to Industrial Power in Ft. Worth and they will change it next week.

Shane said there’s no issue driving it ~40 miles to IP but I am hesitant to move it to storage before hand.

I used 1 jug of Blue DEF on the trip, the rest was Walmart. I checked every jug with a refractometer before I poured them in. 19,076 miles on the coach.

I bet you’ve never felt so privileged to be in the “club”

We are on a 6k mile trip. I haven’t been welcomed to the club yet. I am carrying my back up def head just in case. However having a back up my def head will last forever ...lol
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Vance, glad you made it home. You are as fortune as I was, it happened at home. Does Spartan have a wait time or are the able to ship DEF heads now?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:51 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Vance, glad you made it home. You are as fortune as I was, it happened at home. Does Spartan have a wait time or are the able to ship DEF heads now?

Theyíre shipping my head tomorrow morning though Shane said they are almost out and the manufacturer is having a hard time catching up but gaining.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:46 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Theyíre shipping my head tomorrow morning though Shane said they are almost out and the manufacturer is having a hard time catching up but gaining.
I heard the same thing at Cummins yesterday. Non highway vehicles are down waiting for Shaw to get units to them.

I hope you will join the others that are keeping this problem in front of the NHTSA. https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Old 05-28-2021, 04:48 AM   #7

Oh no, I’m so very sorry this happened.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is it me or does it seem the majority of these go out right before the 20,000 mile mark? Mine was around 19,500 miles. That being said when mine went I took the chance and drove 400 miles home. I made it home and then to the local Cummins dealer. I now have the Gen 6 but every trip the worry is still in the back of my mind that it will go out again at some point and I wont be so lucky.
2019 Club Car Onward
Hurleys RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:33 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I hope you will join the others that are keeping this problem in front of the NHTSA. https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

I did. A search of reported problems with DEF sensors/heads didnít show any results.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #10

It is an easy job to replace as long as you can figure out how to unclip those darn def line clips. Also make sure you clean the area thoroughly. I used silicon grease on the gasket. Got 3000 miles on mine so far so good.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I did. A search of reported problems with DEF sensors/heads didnít show any results.
Try the information from this post. Several have filed and I have had two follow ups from NHTSA. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/def...sa-518276.html
Old 05-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #12

Sorry to hear this. I keep a spare head and filter at an out of pocket cost of ~$800.00 which virtually insures that I'll never need it.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Try the information from this post. Several have filed and I have had two follow ups from NHTSA.

I hadnít read all of that thread. I knew there have been a lot of failures and complaints filed with NHTSA I just couldnít find a related file on their website.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #14

So sorry to hear that another coach is down. Are there any of the classic coaches experiencing this problem? Or was it the more stringent regulations that have caused all these problems? It's getting tempting to do a "delete" on the whole def system.