Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Another caution - Late 2013s/2014s Coleman AC units

This has been posted before but I couldn't find it. My 2014 is in LazyDays shop for a variety of repairs one being my front AirXcel Coleman AC unit would run but not cool. The techs found the condenser fan with broken motor mounts. I've owned the unit about 26mos and travel in it about 4 months a year with if you want to compare hours of AC use. I installed the "D" fans last year.

Advice: Get up on the roof and pull those shrouds and check the mounts on your fans as well as inspect the fan blades. I'm going to make this a twice a year inspection.

Sorry no pics
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Here's a link that may have the thread you are looking for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Airx...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:41 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good suggestion Dave. Our Classic are now at the age that these items start showing up. Kind of like what I found with the roof sealant that was 2 year old and not protected yet. Thanks for the heads up I will check mine before we leave.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW, I recently had to replace the squirrel cage (barrel) fan. Several blades broke off and it made a heck of a racket.

The interesting side note is that Coleman wrongly sent me the propeller fan, supposedly for models with my number. Could't use the two they sent as both rubbed the shroud.

If you have to call then make sure they have your model number right. The ones the sent me were a full 1/2" thicker, with three blades. Mine are about 1" thick.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have a late '13 Anthem with the original (A?) fan blades. Zero problems with A/C's and I don't find the sound objectionable.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, thank you!! for the heads up. I checked mine today and #2 A/C had one mount totally loose and one half way. The motor moved around so much the start relay was broken off the mount and was laying in the bottom of the A/C unit. Lifted the A/C unit up and got everything back together before major damage was done. I don't think we would have completed this trip without loosing the fan on #2. Blue lock tight on the studs to stop future problems.

The front A/C is brand new with the "D" blade and those fan mount were not very tight.....snugged those down as well.

Thank you for the very valuable reminder and really glad I took it to heart. We lost an A/C on the last trip and that is a miserable experience in 100 degree temps.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:43 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Glad the warning helped someone avoid a breakdown
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:49 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
You saved me a major headache, big time. For those that have the earlier Coleman's, as Dave said, there have been a lot of posts with the fan motors coming loose. See the link Cliff posted. Some doing damage, others caught putting quieter fan blades on. If you can't get on the roof, have someone check the fan motor mounts for you. It only take a minute to remove the cover, 4 phillips screws

I was guilty of putting it off until I forgot about it. I would have lost that A/C on this trip and it was 108 degrees along our route yesterday. From experience, it is not easy to get an A/C repaired when it's 100 degree and a line of broken A/C's at dealers. Thanks to Dave, hopefully I won't have to go through that again this summer.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Will check mine next weekend - heading out in my "Ultra Classic" on July 9th. Thanks for the post and reminder. Should be easy to check.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #10

Continuing saga of a grossly defective design poorly executed.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Continuing saga of a grossly defective design poorly executed.
As with anything new on the market, there are design flaws which can be expected on any brand of MH which these units are installed on many. Thankfully this one is an easy fix with some lock tight and I am sure the newer units are assembled that way. Thankfully we have great forum members to remind us and keep us out of the repair shops.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #12

Chuck when using blue lock tight make sure you get the screw coming into the bottom of the rubber mount(it is tight but you can reach under AC ) .Our fan "loss" resulted from two of these screws coming out(the nuts were tight on the studs)
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Tom, that is just what I did on the one unit that was loose. It was over a 100 on top of the roof yesterday. Next fall I will remove all of the shock mounts and put them back on with lock tight. It was way to hot to do that this time, but everything is secure for this trip. Still a good reminder for those that check theirs, take blue lock tight up with you.

Tools needed,
Electric screw gun with #2 phillips bit,
3/8 open end/box wrench
Long wire ties if start switch has come loose.
Blue Lock tight.

Might save a couple of trips up & down the ladder.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
As with anything new on the market, there are design flaws which can be expected on any brand of MH which these units are installed on many. Thankfully this one is an easy fix with some lock tight and I am sure the newer units are assembled that way. Thankfully we have great forum members to remind us and keep us out of the repair shops.
Chuck, "Easy fix - or not." Having 'futzed' with my unit several times to fix, modify, & repair it.... it is buggered with sub-optimal engineering and poor quality materials. These units (Mach 8 heat pump) are noisy inside and out. The compressor bangs against the bonnet because the piping is not properly bent out of the way (thus, the stand off supplied with the fan upgrade kit) And, that doesn't work either because it is at least 1" too short!!!! The upgrade fan barely clears the electrical box and you need a mallet to precision adjustment. The rubber bits are already falling apart because they are cheap material. The bonnet is too flexible and acts like a drum head amplifying the noise. The rubber mounts for the fan motor are not made of durable material and come apart under normal wear and tear.

Coleman (AirExcel) should recall and replace everyone of these sorry pieces of junk and replace them.... OR, give a full value credit to an owner to purchase a different unit.

Sorry Bud.... its some of the worst engineering, QA/QC I've come across in quite a few years. It is junk....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote