Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Another must have spare part

If you tow a toad.....this is a must have spare part to have on board.

For about the 3rd time over the years, I "misplaced" a tow bar pin lock. It could have fallen out with the number of road tests done over the past 2 days for a rear end replacement.

Anyhow photo# 1 is a must have spare part and glad I have about 6 of them on board

I also care a set spare tow pins. I prefer the large handle ones from Tractor Supply as the are easy to pull and remove when it's wet. Photo #2

Just thought I would pass along something that I carry and this morning glad I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-15 12.38.18.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	76594   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-15 12.05.08.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	76595  

A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

Excellent advise, Chuck. Along those lines of towing, just curious, how is the "Ready Brake" working?? Danny
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgilmore View Post
Excellent advise, Chuck. Along those lines of towing, just curious, how is the "Ready Brake" working?? Danny
Really like the Ready Brake over my previous Blue Ox set up. It is one of the simplest and problem free brake systems I have ever used. The tow bar is twice that of my previous Blue Ox Aladdin that snapped in half. Thankfully it happened pulling away from a fuel dock and no damage was done, it could have been a LOT worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-16_13-02-19_907.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	76597  
Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #4

Thanks for your quick response and assessment of the Ready Brake. I currently have US Gear, but have experienced some minor problems with the controller ( mounted inside MH) and the small vacuum pump mounted inside the toad.. Reading the material on the Ready Brake seems very simple.. Thanks again!!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have has US Gear for 12 years, no problems.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

For about the 3rd time over the years, I "misplaced" a tow bar pin lock. It could have fallen out with the number of road tests done over the past 2 days for a rear end replacement.

Anyhow photo# 1 is a must have spare part and glad I have about 6 of them on board

I also care a set spare tow pins. I prefer the large handle ones from Tractor Supply as the are easy to pull and remove when it's wet. Photo #2

Just thought I would pass along something that I carry and this morning glad I did.
Chuck,

A spare is aways a good idea. What about using safety wire.? So it stays connected when pulled.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally View Post
Chuck,

A spare is always a good idea. What about using safety wire.? So it stays connected when pulled.
Good idea, but I know me, I would get the safety wire hung up on something and it would be cut. The pin locks are like 98 cent at Tractor Supply and have saved me more than once. The first time I lost a pin was at the fiasco going to the Hershey Show and disconnecting in a hurry. 20 miles to a Tractor Supply to get a new pin when we got ready to leave.

I have also been able to help a couple of RV Park neighbors over the years that have also lost a pin while unhooking. Protecting the pin anyway you can is a good idea, but a lost pin will happen sooner or later. At least with me it does.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgilmore View Post
Thanks for your quick response and assessment of the Ready Brake. I currently have US Gear, but have experienced some minor problems with the controller ( mounted inside MH) and the small vacuum pump mounted inside the toad.. Reading the material on the Ready Brake seems very simple.. Thanks again!!
I can only relate to what I have owned and my last brake system was a "Blue Ox Box with the air compressor and electrical connections. The compressor went out twice, they were so problematic that Blue Ox quit making them and the electrical was constantly blowing fuses. Last time it failed, I unhooked it and threw it in the trash saying I would never have a brake system that needed a "second" system to work.

Not saying the Ready Brake is the "best" on the market, but personally I would only use a mechanic brake system from now on or tow without which I did for about 5 years. The RB met my needs and was basically "free" when I had to replace my tow bar.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #9

MRUSA14, I too have had the US Gear for several years and until recently been trouble free. My concern, I called twice for troubleshooting questions only to go to voicemail. I left a vm and requested a call back, unfortunately the company did not return my call. I believe they could take a lesson in CS from Entegra..
Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I love my ReadyBrake system and will now be visiting tractor supply for some spare pins. Great idea chuck.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

I also carry one of these:

Not the whole cable, just the black plunger that goes into the breakaway switch.

It occurred to me that if some nit-wit came across my not in-tow toad parked somewhere and pulled the black plunger, my toad's brake system would presume that my toad had broken free and would apply the brakes.

I just carry a spare plunger in the toad.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I always carry enough spare parts to rebuild the coach if necessary.

I carry spare safety cables, air hose from coach to Jeep, light cord, and pins. A few years back I rebuilt my Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. While at it I replaced the locking pin set. I always use locking pins because haven't been too found of the regular pins, especially after I saw a retaining clip missing during one rest stop. After leaving on a trip I went about 30 miles when all of a sudden I felt a bang and looked in my rear camera and saw that out Jeep was following the Bus but about 20' back. I pulled over (the breakaway had actuated the M&G braking system on the Jeep) and took a look. The brand new 5/8" hitch pin had sheared and the entire tow bar came out of the hitch. I grabbed a spare pin from my parts box, put everything together and was on my way. Granted, that was a fluke but it shows what can happen.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Good point Mark, I also carry most of those parts and have used the light cord before when it came unplugged in a tight turn and ground the toad plug almost completely off. Bought another plug at Walmart and that cord is now my spare.

The tow pins are cheap enough, I normally replace them ever couple of years and keep the best set as spare in the towing parts box.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
The tow pins on my old rig were ten years old. I suspected that they needed changing, so I bought a new motorhome, tow car, and tow bar instead.

I'm currently using Blue Ox locking pins, and keep the pins that came with the tow bar as spares. Same for the hitch pins.

My light cable also became unplugged once and tore. I was in the middle of nowhere, so I did a temporary splice job at the side of the road. Now I keep a spare.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote