Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
aza

Anthem 44SL

I currently own a 2010 Tiffin Phaeton 43 coach. It is a fantastic coach, but I like to Ski and in cold conditions it is not comfortable. I am considering purchasing a new Entegra, Anthem 44SL in order to take advantage of the Aqua Hot oil/electric heated floors, and increased insulation.

The dealers, of course, tell me that the Anthem is perfect for my needs... but they are trying to sell me one. I would like to hear from Anthem owners regarding driving comfort in below zero conditions, as well as camping conditions. And any other issues with the Anthem such as fuel economy (450 HP) and hot weather comfort.
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

This is one major reason we upgraded to the anthem. We camp in the high desert and its usually in the 20s at night. Anthem has 2 heat sources, normal heat pumps and the aquahot. With all 3 aquahot zones running and no heat pump we keep it toasty enough to sleep with minimal covering. Have never even used the heat pumps.

Best part is the warm floor, cant imagine how cold that floor would get without it.
MSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have an Anthem (yet) but have gone through them thoroughly before writing magazine articles and a review on my website at www.rvcruzer.com/2012_anthem.php - which might answer some of your questions. I also have a 2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP so am familiar with the two.

The Anthem wins, hands down when it comes to insulation.

As a Phaeton owner you must already know, Tiffin is having issues with rotting wet bay floors and is replacing them with a 3/8" thick plastic floor that has zero R value. When they took care of mine I made sure to add heat plates beneath the fresh water tank. Enterga also relocates the water pump to a warm wall instead of on the cold wet bay floor like Tiffin does. Even with my AquaHot running, I still cracked one fresh tank in 10 degree weather. Entegra's wet bay is much warmer, has better heat distribution, better floor, better sump pan, and a relocated water pump and filter.

Entegras wood over steel floor is R-33, which is unheard of in the industry. They place additional reflective foil behind the batt insulation in the walls, whih are thicker than Tiffin. They insulate the front and rear cap which Tiffin does not. In fact I has to reach back about another foot when I had the front TB out just to find where the insulation started. Add a 3/8" plywood layer between the fiberglass roof and aluminum trusses and you can see why the numbers add up.

At Indianapolis this summer Leann and I went through various motorhomes and checked cabinet interiors. Many cabinets get the opposite treatment when the hot summer sun is out and you really can't store food (dry goods) in there because the cabinets get quite hot. You need to leave a door open or have a louvered door in order to get the heat out and the air conditioned air into the cabinet. We found most of them to be quite warm (we wanted to try Newmar but they were inside the building so it wasn't a fair comparison). But Entegra cabinets were much cooler. So what keeps you warm in winter will help keep you cool in summer.

Some motorhomes are not that well suited for cold weather camping (we both have one of those), while some are better suited. In my opinion, Entegra sets the standard.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Phaeton to anthem

Just traded 2010 phaeton for 2013 anthem about 5 weeks ago.

Immediately took a trip from mich to Florida so had heat and cold to deal with.

As stated, entegra insulation is WAY better than tiffin.

Stayed warmer and cooler as needed and entegra is , in all conditions, quieter also.

After touring tiffin, entegra, and newmar factories, I knew what to expect moving from tiffin to entegra. All good!
tvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #5

Dear Trose--
I am brand new to the RV world. I took delivery of a 2013 Anthem 44DLQ in Sept. and now have 10,300 miles on it. We are presently on a trip that included two weeks in the foothills of Calif. while they were having cold weather. We had 6-7 nights in the low 20's---we went from there to right outside of Yosemite and it was below freezing there. As I write this we are on the Southern Rim of the Grand Canyon where it was 4 degrees last night and suppose to be 3 degrees tonight. All I have done is set the thermostat in the basement and turned our furnaces to 66 degrees in the coach and we wake up to warm floors and pleasant temps. ----Oh, we leave the fireplace on in the salon for our German Shorthair and that seems to help too.
Don't know if this helps you or not, but it has worked for us and it's been cold outside for a Texan!!!
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
aza

Thank you for ur input. How effective is the engine only floor heat while driving? What is ur fuel economy?
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

Trose,

I've found the in floor heat works fine.

Mileage has been discussed at length under other headings. I'll save you the time in re-reading those. The Aspire and Anthem owners are averaging 7.0-9.5. That variation depends on speed and toad. Most say pulling a toad reduces MPG by 0.5mpg. Those driving 63-65 mph average in the 8.5-9.5mpg range. Those driving 75-ish are around 7.0-7-5mpg
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Just back from a 2400 mile trip, all interstate from Austin TX to Millen GA. Driving at 60mph, averaged 8.82 mpg with the toad.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote