Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Anthem in Crosswinds

I'm curious to hear how the Anthem handles crosswinds of 20 mph or so. Coming from a heavy 5th wheel this was not an issue but with my truck and truck camper it blew us around pretty good. So I'd like to hear what I should expect from you Anthem and Aspire owners.

Based on what I have read active air systems like on the Cornerstone and similar price point coaches mitigates this a lot. We drove a Dutchstar with comfort drive but it was a non windy day and I thought the Anthem handled as well, it was definetly quieter. However I did read on the Newmar owners forum that it's possible to have an active air system installed on an Anthem for around 10k. Has anyone done this?

Thanks all.
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
I test drove the Anthem at FMCA in Gillette, WY. At first I declined because it was so windy-30MPH+. I relented and tried it-SOLD! The only reason I don't still have it was the smoking deal we got on the Cornerstone.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We have cruised down the road and been shocked how windy it was when we stopped and got out. The biggest sign of a strong crosswind is noticing a crooked steering wheel but the coach is still rock steady. Large gust spreads can make you work a little but still manageable. Nothing like the 38' - 21,000 lb. gasser we came from!

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #4

Coming from a 5th wheel, I find it very similar. I think there's nothing quite like a 5th wheel on duallys. Mine was stable and no flex whatsoever. I had the air saver hitch and I could leave a cup on my table and it would still be there when we got to our destination. The Anthem is solid too... It drives like a coach and not a truck so there's some getting used to, but I'm so comfortable that I need to fight the zzzz's that creep in from time to time. Yawn!
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

About a month and a half ago coming out of Pahrump NV, there were high wind warnings, plus this is one of those mountain pass areas with signs warning of high cross winds. The winds were consistent and gusts of 20 and frequent gusts of 40 mph. The 20 mph cross winds were virtually not noticeable. You might notice at some point that the steering wheel was a few degrees from dead center straight ahead with steady stiff cross winds. The 40 mph gusts really hit you. You could see trucks in front of you over on the right or center line when the gusts hit. In my Anthem, there is no doubt that I was correcting and the steering wheel was more "active" than it has been any other time, but it was not bad and at no point did I feel I needed to slow down below my standard 62 cruise speed. At 20ish mph gusts, it's like a semi passing you. With a tag axle Anthem, 90 percent of the time you feel NOTHING. 10% of the time, you feel a little jiggle but the Anthem is a pleasure to drive...... Rock solid. No White Knuckle driving common with this rig.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We moved up from a non tag, 38 ft Travel Supreme on the same chassis. You could feel a crosswind at 20 MPH and fought the wheel at 30. With the Anthem in a 20 MPH cross wind, I don't even feel it. The tag makes all the difference in the world. A Cornerstone probably doesn't even recognize the word "crosswind".
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #7

Oh, on the $10K upgrade for an active air system, I have now put nearly 14,000 miles on the coach in 14 months and there is no way I would spend that kind of money to "improve" my ride above what I have with standard setup

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I found that my Aspire (IFS) handled crosswinds and semi bow waves very well compared to my previous Dutch Star. Now, its really a ho hum.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #9

Spoke to a Tiffin Allegro Bus owner and had added the additional active air suspension for $10K+. He said it is amazing and even keeps their dog from getting motion sickness going down the road. My Anthem is good and does not need it but would be nice to see if adding it would make the ride closer to a Cornerstone. Tommy
Ourrvtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

Could feel the crosswinds a bit in the 13 Aspire DEQ but the 16 Anthem 44B we now have handles the wind much better due to the increased weight, front suspension and tire size. We have driven out west to Seattle, then Sacremento then across Texas to Florida and then eventually back to Pgh. No issues at all. Felt a gust or two but the coach handles them well.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #11

Any constant side winds are a non issue, Large gusts will be felt in any coach active air ,comfort steer or not
fla tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #12

Anthem in Crosswinds

Did they copy my 09 RR10S (wish they still made it) chassis with Active Air? Best I've ever driven. I can "sense" a large side gust, but the rig just says "what? Was that a breeze"

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #13

My Anthem handles the wind extremely well, but you can feel large gust.

I traded a Tiffin Allegro bus (43' tag). The Anthem is so much easier to drive, very seldom get any wind push when passing/being passed by big trucks. Almost always got some wind push in the Tiffin.

Very happy with the handling and overall driving experience with my Anthem. I do not see a need to spend 10k to make it handle better.

My $.02.........
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Did they copy my 09 RR10S (wish they still made it) chassis with Active Air? Best I've ever driven. I can "sense" a large side gust, but the rig just says "what? Was that a breeze"

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
Why do people comment with nothing to add to the thread?
fla tom is online now   Reply With Quote