Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #43
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
Sounds like you have the exact symptoms of the faulty radiator... call spartan with your photos and ask for help

I'm having the same symptoms. It started about 8 months ago. Less than a cup of coolant every 500 - 750 miles. Couldn't see any eveidence of a leak, hot or cold, no visible signs. Started talking with Mark at Spartan who documented my concern and has since left Spartan. A few months later, picked up the conversation again with Charlie, who now has left Spartan. Just this week I sent pictures of what looks like moisture inside the fan shroud to Michael Flowers at Spartan who said without a pressure test, there's no sure way to determine if it's leaking or not. So I am hoping to get it Pressure tested next week at Cummings Mid-South Jackson MS, even though they are not a Spartan Service Center, and can't replace the radiator, but at least will confirm whether it a radiator issue or something else.
I agree that Spartan should have stepped up and done a recall on this given the amount of issues many have had with these radiators.
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
This radiator problem really sucks. I have never been able to see any sign of a leak anywhere but over the course of 20,000 miles I recently realized I have put in almost a gallon of coolant. Just a little bit at a time to keep the level in the middle of the glass when cold and on the level jacks. Sort of a mystery as I know the closed system should not loose any coolant at all but there is no sign of loss on the ground, into the oil or anywhere else

Then, sitting in my driveway in the snow at 8 below there is a 6 inch pink diameter circle under the rear of the radiator. Not a hint of a leak anywhere that I could find but the pink in the snow is troubling. Took to the road with extra coolant on board. 2200 mile later there is no sign of coolant leakage at 75 degrees when cold. I spent way too long on my back with a mag lite and mirror and cannot find a thing. Hose clamps seem fine. Gently snugged them despite no sign of leak from any joint.

Definitely out of warranty but Spartan already offered to help with the parts if I cover the labor if it is the radiator. But....so far doesn't look like the radiator. The take away here is to document with Spartan as soon as you notice any coolant usage or symptoms of a leak. I never thought to mention the steady coolant adds but did get a suspect leak on record with them at this point. If you do it during your warranty period you have much more recourse if a leak occurs later on out of warranty.

The other real problem with coolant loss was leakage at the EGR cooler where the engine coolant is used to cool the portion of exhaust gas being reintroduced as EGR.

I pressurized the system at 75 ambient and see no leaks on the ground or loss of pressure and no sign of smoke or steam from the exhaust on startup after the pressure test.

So.....the pink puddle in the snow at 8 below is a big mystery. I'm getting tired of finding and re-engineering stuff I spent 40 years doing. I thought this was going to be more fun. End of rant.
AL
This leak could be caused by the cold temperature. When temp is below freezing it is fairly common for leaks to develop at the hose connections. The metal gets cold and shrinks, allowing the fluid to leak. This can be corrected by tightening the hose clamps (better to do this when cold, as they will tighten themselves as the temp rises and the metal expands).
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT View Post
A few months later, picked up the conversation again with Charlie, who now has left Spartan.
Are you saying Charlie Fisher has left Spartan?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #46
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Are you saying Charlie Fisher has left Spartan?

Yep, unfortunately Charlie "has left the building."
Old 01-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
That is not good news. Charlie was a heck of an asset to Spartan's CS.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #48
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
That is not good news. Charlie was a heck of an asset to Spartan's CS.
As was Mark Collett.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #49

Yep, I understand Paul. I did snug the clamps when it was cold. There was basically no slack in them and I did not see any sign of coolant pushed up at the hose joints. Luckily it was in my driveway so diving under it with a snowmobile suit after digging out the driveway was nothing unusual. I cannot even see any coolant residue or sign of coolant anywhere even though there is pink on the ground.

Indeed it is bad news that Charlie Fischer is gone from Spartan!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #50

Well I just got the estimate back from the local Spartan service center. $4800 P&L to replace the defective radiator in my 2013 Anthem. 11 months out of warranty and Spartan said too bad. I even had the service center call a beg on my behalf to no avail.
Marta1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta1907 View Post
Well I just got the estimate back from the local Spartan service center. $4800 P&L to replace the defective radiator in my 2013 Anthem. 11 months out of warranty and Spartan said too bad. I even had the service center call a beg on my behalf to no avail.
What a shame for a known defect. For those of us that don't put many miles on per year, that is a scary thought.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta1907 View Post
what a joke.. they should replace everybody's radiator who fall within the timeframe of being built with bad ones.. sure makes me look at spartan differently and how there company is ran...
I hope spartan reads these forums and realizes this is a big black mark on there report card... just because they don't leak right away means the owner is faced with a 5 thousand dollar bill down the road... complete dis justice to there customer...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Anthem Radiator Replacement

Marta 1907 I sent you a PM
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
A know issue, the radiators are defective, and Spartan should do the right thing - fix it.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, radiator, replace, replacement