Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #29

If I were getting those numbers I would think something's wrong.

My dash indication versus hand calculation is within .1 mpg. Bang on correct.

I have 3750 miles on a 2015 Anthem almost all towing with a dolly.

Lifetime 7.1, but I've even driven 1000 miles in the snow with high wort winds and below zero temps.

If I'm WAIT at 65 mph as in when climbing a grade, it's 4.2 mpg indicated. I believe that number.

If I drive like you, I your conditions, I would have 8+ mpg.

I would care about this as you are. I don't think it doesn't matter. No matter how expensive something is, throwing away money is senseless.

I wouldn't be able to afford the coach if I needlessly wasted money.

I would continue to search for something wrong.

Good luck.
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #30

WOT, not WAIT
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #31

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Chuck, I'd look for something in terms of your final drive ratio....what RPM are you running at 60MPH on the flat with no wind?

If it's higher than others, perhaps that gear ratio in your new rear-end? I'm running 8.7 mpg in mine on average.

Wmpbauer
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #32

We just finished a trip to Key West; 3,000 miles towing a jeep wrangler going an average of 68 mph and ended with an average of 8.1 mpg.

42' Aspire, 2012
gm77979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Hey Chuck, one downside of figuring with pen and paper over anything less than several 1000 miles is the variable of filling. You know to start with a completely full tank and refill to completely full and therein lies a problem. Depend on whether or not you're completely level while filling, the amount of foaming etc you could be off several gallons. OTOH if you factor over a very long distance and multiple careful fill ups that variable can be negated.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm77979 View Post
We just finished a trip to Key West; 3,000 miles towing a jeep wrangler going an average of 68 mph and ended with an average of 8.1 mpg.

42' Aspire, 2012
We might have passed you along the way during if it was in the last two weeks.

Same for us, 8.1.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #35
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
We picked up our 2014 Anthem at the end of September from a dealer in Kentucky. It had 756 miles on it before our trip back to Mississippi. I was pleasantly surprised at the 7.4 mpg for the trip. It currently has 4,600 miles including trips to all the MSU home games (Go Bulldogs), and a trip to Port St. Lucie Fla. towing a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Never showed less than 7.2 mpg on any of the trips, and even 7.6 going to Fla. with a pretty good tail wind for most of the trip. Even though I haven't verified the trip computer with paper and pencil, I'd say it was pretty close given the mileage between fill ups.
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #36

About 6.3 for me - I have a lead foot I guess.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Okay I gotta ask about 5.4 mpg. Was it really cold where you traveled? I have noticed on the diesels I have owned they get worse mileage in the cold. The other significant factor than speed and weight being towed is use of the Genny and or Aqua Hot. If you run those they can contribute at least .5 gal/hr and that will skew your figures.

I get 7.0-7.1 mpg all day on a 10,000 mile engine towing a 4200 lb toad running the genny 20-30% of the time. I drive 65-70 mph.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, it was mid 70's with no dash air, genny or AH running. I was listening to the new rear end and didn't even have the stereo on. The new rear end was perfect! My toad weight was 4140 lbs at the truck scales on the way to Tampa.

I did have the AH running a LOT as I spent 2 days trouble shooting why it didn't work when it had only been use once before and it worked then. I had no knowledge regarding AH's before, but I do now. It may have cost me more diesel for my education, than I thought.

I did have a bad cross wind going up to Tampa. I am going to have to do another trip, with hopefully no troubleshooting that requires diesel before I get an accurate MPG, but it has not been above 6.5 yet and that was when the coach was empty coming down hill from Middlebury.

If the poor MPG continues under controlled conditions, then it will go to Cummins and have the computer checked. It only take them a minute to hook their computer up and do any updates that might need to be done.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:56 AM   #39
YC1

On the left coast the Winter fuel results in 1 mpg less for me. Add that and a cross wind and your mileage will drop.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtechgeek View Post
I'd also track the engine temperature during your trips. I noticed that this summer I averaged 6.5 mpg from Minneapolis to San Francisco @68 MPH, but this winter from Minneapolis to Tahoe averaged 7.2 mpg.

When the engine is over 205 F the fan kicks in and the mileage seems to drop. When it's really cold out(below 32 F), the engine stays at 180 F and the mileage also drops. Both of which makes sense to me.

The sweet spot seems to be outside air temps from 40F - 60F and the engine temp running ~195F and I get about 7.5 mpg.
It isn't just about engine temperature, it's the fuel at the pump. When cold, a gallon of fuel weighs more and it is the weight of the fuel that determines how much energy it has which affects your fuel mileage. Conversely, warm fuel is less dense and weighs less, hence gives you less energy and MPG.

To maximize economy, buy all your fuel in winter!
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #41

Hi Brobox, I just re-fueled today at 445 miles and it took 55 gallons=8.09MPG, I curently have 15K on our 2014 Aspire. Only 55 gallons was to refuel in tems of logistics/refueling/storage with full tank and summer fuel conditioner. NO generator use on that leg of the trip and aquahot is LP, so a pretty true indicator of mileage. Usually drive 62-68 or so, we are currently in FL 50-60 degree weather, sorry I did not make the Entegra rally:-(
On the filp side my water pump quit this AM(new on the way from Entegra) and tonight I just found my Aquahot circulator pump #2 has failed and is red. I get to try and troubleshoot that tomorrow and figure it out. I will call Aquahot with serial#, I replaced one leaking Auquahot pump already last year.
andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
I am getting 7 with the toad and loaded down and I get 8 without the toad.
Rclukey is offline   Reply With Quote