Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Anyone ever have engine driven A/C compressor problems?

Our engine mounted A/C compressor, or something associated with it, is mis-behaving. When the AC is engaged at the dash, the clutch on the compressor kicks in and out rapidly making a pretty loud racket.

It will kick in, engage for a second or so then drop out, it will immediately try again and drop out, and so on.

Getting no appreciable cool at the dash vents as would be expected. The front condenser fan (outside under the right front corner of the coach) also kicks in and out mirroring the engine compressor.

Wonder if anyone else has had this failure and if it was the compressor or something that controls the compressor?
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
There is a low pressure sensor, to keep the compressor from being damaged from trying to operate in a low freon condition. Have it checked out.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

Just curious - gotta ask.
Where are you? Must be some place comfortable that you are using the AC in February.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do a Google search "car air conditioner clicks on and off" you will get your answer.

Probably low on refrigerant which you add yourself.

hawgguy....Need the A/C to clear the inside of the windshield is what I'm thinking.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, sounds like the compressor is low on Freon. One thing you can check before calling service is the wire going to the compressor switch located on the firewall in the generator compartment. Mine was loose, but it did not cut the compressor in and out...that is normally low Freon. Might check if anyone in the park has a gauge to check the Freon.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Rob, sounds like the compressor is low on Freon. One thing you can check before calling service is the wire going to the compressor switch located on the firewall in the generator compartment. Mine was loose, but it did not cut the compressor in and out...that is normally low Freon. Might check if anyone in the park has a gauge to check the Freon.
X 2!
Or buy one of these: EZ Chill Measure and Charge Can with Inline Gauge - Walmart.com
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I had the dash air quit two months after I got it. When a Spartan shop worked on it they found the AC lines had some contaminants in it and a bad filter. After they sucked it down and recharged it they put in what they thought was the correct ammount. The system would run and cool then shut off. After they called Spartan CS the company CS guy told them my system takes 2.5 lbs. They had overfilled it. I would not advise trying to refill it yourself.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:23 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are unsure of the capacity,you should be able to find it stamped on the compressor. At least that is how they used to mark them.
You than can purchase the right amount. Just make sure it is fully discharged before you start.
If there is some charge left you may not have to vaccume the system.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, if you are still in FL there are mobile truck/RV AC services guys in the area. The refer units on semi trailers are close to the units on our MH's. I had a mobile guy come to me when my wire was off the compressor switch.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Our engine mounted A/C compressor, or something associated with it, is mis-behaving. When the AC is engaged at the dash, the clutch on the compressor kicks in and out rapidly making a pretty loud racket.

It will kick in, engage for a second or so then drop out, it will immediately try again and drop out, and so on.

Getting no appreciable cool at the dash vents as would be expected. The front condenser fan (outside under the right front corner of the coach) also kicks in and out mirroring the engine compressor.

Wonder if anyone else has had this failure and if it was the compressor or something that controls the compressor?

You didn't say if you had a Cummins Engine and /or a Spartan...but this past Sept...we lost the belt on the engine A/C....called Cummins and was told it was a Spartan fix...called Spartan and they gave me a place in Ft Worth ,Tx...the problem was a frozen compressor.....the removed it...cleaned the A/C lines..put on a new comp and belt.....under warranty ..and we were under way....the A/C had never worked as good as it does now..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I had the dash air quit two months after I got it. When a Spartan shop worked on it they found the AC lines had some contaminants in it and a bad filter. After they sucked it down and recharged it they put in what they thought was the correct amount. The system would run and cool then shut off. After they called Spartan CS the company CS guy told them my system takes 2.5 lbs. They had overfilled it. I would not advise trying to refill it yourself.
hogdriver
If you read and follow the instructions you will not overfill the refrigerant in a dash AC with a DIY recharge kit.

BTW, me thinks you need a Spartan shop that knows what it's doing.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

It's not hard to fill yourself. All you need is a gauge of some sort and a pressure-temperature table. See RV Air Conditioning Service for tips on how to do this.

As to the low-pressure switch - if your system is low enough to cut out the compressor clutch it won't kick in and out. It will kill power to the clutch. Once the compressor starts to turn it will build pressure on the high side, which will increase the pressure to your low pressure sensor switch. If it's kicking in and out you have other issues and I doubt that a simple top-off with R134 is going to correct that.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
Just curious - gotta ask.
Where are you? Must be some place comfortable that you are using the AC in February.
We are currently on the FL panhandle at Topsail Hill State Park in Santa Rosa Beach. The AC started acting up as we drove here from Gulf Shores in Alabama and it was a fairly warm sunny day so we ran the dash AC to cool off the cab, well tried to anyway. Otherwise the temps have been fairly chilly up here with a few nights flirting with the freezing point (yeah I know big deal!). Next week the temps are forecast to be approaching the 80's...
Old 02-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Hey guys, thanks to everyone who responded and for all the great info!

I'll check the wiring and see if I can find a gauge, but failing that I think since we are still under warranty we'll try finding a Spartan shop or ideally a Spartan authorized mobile repair service (not likely I suppose). Spartan told me yesterday as y'all have mentioned that my symptom may indicate low refrigerant. There's only one shop near here in Fort Walton Beach but since it's not a critical problem I may wait until we get back near south Florida in early April where I should have more service options. Had a decent experience at Palm Truck in Ft Myers that brobox recommended to fix our tag dump issue.

brobox, where and who is the mobile repair guy you mentioned? Thanks!

chuckster52, its a Cummins ISL 450HP on a Spartan chassis. The belt looks fine and has the proper tension. Thanks for the info!

Thanks again to all for the advice!
Rob

Tags
compressor, engine