Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Anyone notice suspension creaking noises when parked?

For the past month or so we have been hearing creaking or popping sounds every 15 minutes or so when the coach is parked and leveled out on the jacks. Never did this before. Sometimes it will happen when we are outside with no one in the coach and other times when one of us moves inside it will trigger the noise. The sounds can come from either the front or rear of the coach and sound like short creaks or clicks. It's kind of annoying to say the least.

At this point my theory is the Equalizer jacks have an internal leak. There is no visible oil leakage. Recently I measured the exposed cylinder portion of each jack just after setting up camp. Over a 6 day period the RF jack dropped 5/16" and the LR dropped 3/16". The RR and LF maintained their extension. I'm thinking the small changes in elevation and chassis twisting are causing the noises?

On one occasion at a campground with a nice level site that we stayed at for three nites I never put down the jacks and we never heard the noises.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, my guess would be fluid going past the check valves to the reservoir. I have heard of it before, but I have not experienced it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Rob, my guess would be fluid going past the check valves to the reservoir. I have heard of it before, but I have not experienced it.
Rob,
Brobox may be correct.

However, with my RVA Jacks... if a "manual retract valve" is not tightly closed, (or works loose), the corresponding jack can/will retract slightly over time.
Extending the jack electrically and then retracting it a bit, (by opening the manual valve for a few seconds....then closing the valve tightly), will usually cure the problem.
Yours may do the same.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Brobox, thanks I had heard of that too.

mel_s, good info I will check that out, thanks!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Brobox, thanks I had heard of that too.

mel_s, good info I will check that out, thanks!
Rob, it must be contagious. Mine has been doing the same thing. I haven't actually measured the jacks, but I can't tell the mh has changed. Mine sounds like the front. I think same as you that one or both of the front jacks is leaking internally however, they just changed all of my jacks about a month ago for a different problem. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
I'd suggest that you call Equalizer in Elkhart. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW8804 View Post
I'd suggest that you call Equalizer in Elkhart. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Did that today. The tech said "...well 5/16" isn't bad..." Really? Pretty much felt like he was brushing me off and I had to press him for more info.

When I suggested possibly air in the lines, he did say oh yeah that could be it and gave a a procedure to help purge any possible air. It basically involves fully extending and retracting the jacks several times.

He did finally mention that I make sure the manual valves were seated properly as mel_s indicated.

Also I did learn that there is only one check valve for the whole system so if that were leaking all my jacks would be dropping together, not only 2 of the 4 as is the case with mine.

I will re-seat the valves and run the purge procedure and see what happens...
Old 02-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Rob, it must be contagious. Mine has been doing the same thing. I haven't actually measured the jacks, but I can't tell the mh has changed. Mine sounds like the front. I think same as you that one or both of the front jacks is leaking internally however, they just changed all of my jacks about a month ago for a different problem. Noel
Bummer Noel! I'll keep you posted of my progress...
Old 02-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, a word of caution on the purging method. One of the forum members was told the same thing......however the motor needs to cool between cycles. He did his several times as suggested and burnt the motor up. Thankfully he had just left Entegra and was able to get the motor replaced while he was still in the area.

I have also had a motor replaced so I don't know sturdy they are for several cycles in a row. Let us know how that works.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Mine did the same on my maiden voyage. In bed, I would hear a creak - perhaps a clunk. Seemed that it was the front jack lowering. Brought it in and they marked the jack and wouldn't you know it - it never happened again. So no resolution but it hasn't happened again
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Rob, a word of caution on the purging method. One of the forum members was told the same thing......however the motor needs to cool between cycles. He did his several times as suggested and burnt the motor up. Thankfully he had just left Entegra and was able to get the motor replaced while he was still in the area.

I have also had a motor replaced so I don't know sturdy they are for several cycles in a row. Let us know how that works.
X2 for what Chuck said. Mine may very well be air since they just replaced the jacks, but I'm concerned about melting the brush holders in the motor. From what I was told they are plastic and melting them is what screws up the motor. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Noel, Mine popped and creaked the fist couple of nights a LD and I figured it was air in the system on the new coach and didn't worry about it. When we picked the coach up at Entegra, it never did it again. Rob's is strange as he has a few nights on his and now it's popping. It does sound like air has entered the system.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not certain if this applies but I received a service bulletin from Spartan last week... (Csb14-260-002) " condition exists where noise it created from the steering system while static steering at idle". It sounds like what you are talking about. Hope this helps...
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAinPA View Post
I'm not certain if this applies but I received a service bulletin from Spartan last week... (Csb14-260-002) " condition exists where noise it created from the steering system while static steering at idle". It sounds like what you are talking about. Hope this helps...
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm pretty sure that's a different issue - I got that same TSB. The noises I have are with the engine off. I don't have the steering noise issue or at least I never noticed it.

Tags
suspension