Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Anyone pull an enclosed trailer?

We are looking at getting a 24 ft enclosed trailer to pull our car (not able to tow on wheels) with our Cornerstone. Anyone else pull one? I’m nervous about the length, since we’re already at 45ft. Is it easy to drive with a trailer, turning and such? Any issues at campgrounds? Thanks in advance for the advice and calming my nerves!
msix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Trailer is a trailer, open or closed. Problem is you will be over-length in most states, but probably would not get stopped. Had a wild idea two years ago to buy an aluminum 22’ open car hauler. Works great when you are going a long distance and staying a long time. Went to Stone Mt and FMCA Perry GA last year. After that, I parked the trailer and reverted to towing flat. My wife says that was the worst idea I ever had! Connecting time went from about 5 minutes to 30 minutes under optimum conditions to an hour on less than optimum.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msix View Post
We are looking at getting a 24 ft enclosed trailer to pull our car (not able to tow on wheels) with our Cornerstone. Anyone else pull one? I’m nervous about the length, since we’re already at 45ft. Is it easy to drive with a trailer, turning and such? Any issues at campgrounds? Thanks in advance for the advice and calming my nerves!
Lots of folks here pull a lot more than that length. Your cornerstone will not even know its there. You'll have to learn how to maneuver it in tight spots but that will come with road time. Campgrounds are going to be your biggest challenge. The older they are, the smaller they are. I'd go for long pull through sites every time if you can. You will be more than challenged with back-in spots.! Some but not all resorts have storage spots for the trailers. You will just need a way to get it there. Can you tow the trailer with the vehicle you are hauling? I always check the google earth view of where we are staying to see if the sites are really as long as they claim and if they can accommodate what we are showing up with. I hate surprises after a long day on the road.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #4

I pull an open Featherlite to haul the wife’s VW Sportwagon and my motorcycle. Put a hitch on the VW so that I could maneuver in campgrounds with limited parking. The flexibility of being able to move the trailer with the car is the main reason I haven’t gone enclosed. Getting one of the air dams for the trailer in order to keep the car even cleaner. Saw too many toads getting beat up on the Alcan Highway last summer. That said, when we stayed at Lake Toxaway earlier this month I was amazed at the number of stacker trailers being stored there. Have toys will travel...
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

I pull a half ton pickup on a flat bed car hauler. If you're going to tow any sort of trailer with your motorhome, I'd make sure the vehicle being towed is, at a minimum, capable of maneuvering the trailer around. My 20~ foot trailer with tongue, brings the total length right to 69'. Beyond the state limits, it can be a real hassle. We make a habit now of just getting a rental car and driving the motorhome trailerless.
rsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #6

I have pulled a car open trailer and a stacker .. it’s definitely more of a thought process... where to park it at rv parks etc...got a Jeep awhile ago and now mostly flat tow that... gotta admit.. it’s so much easier and quicker and never worry about spare spots anymore.. I say if that’s what you got although then you will be fine... you will get used to-it because that’s how it works when it’s your only set up...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #7

I will be pulling 24' enclosed this weekend with my Insignia, about 10,000lbs with car and equipment. I'll let you know how it goes.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #8

I pull two different car trailers with a 2016 Anthem...one is a 24' open 2 axle with 3500# axles, the other is a 27' Haulmark enclosed race trailer which I special ordered with 5200# axles. The Anthem pulls either trailer easily when fully loaded. Others have already made the observation regarding being able to move whatever trailer you're pulling with the vehicle you're hauling...it makes it much easier to park the trailer in tight spots if necessary. This is good advice.

A few other issues to consider:
1. With 2 x 3500# axles under an open trailer, it is very easy to exceed the GVW rating of the trailer. If steel, an open trailer will likely weigh 1500-1900#...at the higher weight, you only have room for another 5100# of cargo before you would be pushing the rated GVW rating of 7000#. Further, since tires seem to be a chronic issue with trailers, having larger axles and thus larger tires than what you may think you need never hurts.
2. Because of less weight with an aluminum trailer, you can pick up a few extra pounds of cargo capacity with the same size axles as on a steel trailer.
3. If you are thinking enclosed, make certain that the tounge is long enough to avoid any possible interference with the rear cap of your coach when maneuvering or with the top of your coach when going through deep swales. On most trailers you'll need at least a 48-52" tounge. Further, consider a V-nose front on the trailer to get an extra bit of extra maneuvering room.
4. Regarding the overall length, as mentioned by others you will likely be over-length and illegal in many state at 70'+. I'm 69" long overall with my open trailer...72' with the enclosed trailer. I've never been stopped with either trailer but am always concerned about it happening, especially in California, and about being involved in some type of accident which in any way could be related to my overall length.
Good luck!!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Plan plan plan... Thats what towing long takes. We towed a 30+ trailer for a couple of years. We were a rolling 74 feet. Buy a trailer with an extended tongue to help with tight turning. Take your time and dont be afraid to stop! We towed maybe 10k to 12k miles and ended up switching to four down. Best decision we ever made.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #10

I tow a 22' stacker v nose, 27ft over all..triple axle 7k each..I only tow to the dunes and back.
Puts me at 72' overall..wouldnt want to tow it all the time..as 02trader said, carefull in swales, as a v nose is more prone to contact your rear cap
jeffnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02trader View Post
I pull two different car trailers with a 2016 Anthem...one is a 24' open 2 axle with 3500# axles, the other is a 27' Haulmark enclosed race trailer which I special ordered with 5200# axles. The Anthem pulls either trailer easily when fully loaded. Others have already made the observation regarding being able to move whatever trailer you're pulling with the vehicle you're hauling...it makes it much easier to park the trailer in tight spots if necessary. This is good advice.

A few other issues to consider:
1. With 2 x 3500# axles under an open trailer, it is very easy to exceed the GVW rating of the trailer. If steel, an open trailer will likely weigh 1500-1900#...at the higher weight, you only have room for another 5100# of cargo before you would be pushing the rated GVW rating of 7000#. Further, since tires seem to be a chronic issue with trailers, having larger axles and thus larger tires than what you may think you need never hurts.
2. Because of less weight with an aluminum trailer, you can pick up a few extra pounds of cargo capacity with the same size axles as on a steel trailer.
3. If you are thinking enclosed, make certain that the tounge is long enough to avoid any possible interference with the rear cap of your coach when maneuvering or with the top of your coach when going through deep swales. On most trailers you'll need at least a 48-52" tounge. Further, consider a V-nose front on the trailer to get an extra bit of extra maneuvering room.
4. Regarding the overall length, as mentioned by others you will likely be over-length and illegal in many state at 70'+. I'm 69" long overall with my open trailer...72' with the enclosed trailer. I've never been stopped with either trailer but am always concerned about it happening, especially in California, and about being involved in some type of accident which in any way could be related to my overall length.
Good luck!!

Jim, as it relates to #1 and #2, wasn’t paying enough attention to weight limit issues. Had a 2012 Rubicon loaded off road I intended to haul, and a 2014 F150 Raptor on occasion. The dealer I bought it from said carrying capacity was 7,000 lbs, not 7,000 lbs GVW. Jeep worked great on trailer! Not sure how much Raptors weighs but must be near 6,500 lbs. had back support stands down and loaded it. To find it was sitting in the stands. Had to borrow a floor jack to get them up. It was clearly weighing it down. Found the posted the required notice under the trailer and GVW was 7,000 lbs, and was overloaded. Got to looking at the tires and the rating of the 4 tires was also 7,000 lbs. so no Raptor hauling.

Decided to weigh Jeep and was shocked to find the Jeep to weigh in at a little over 5,100 lbs. So this thing was almost maxed out hauling a Jeep! Found I could not change axles so tires with more weight capacity was also out!

The moral is make sure you know what you are getting because it may not be what you think!

Your Entegra will not have a problem towing south of a D5 Cat!
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I think a trailer can work for people who generally go from A to B and back. If you are touring the country and making many stops I think it would drive you crazy to have to find places where it will fit. Which is why I don’t have one.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #13

Towing with my Anthem

My rig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mh pic.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	180144  
nssracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #14