Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans View Post
Head and Shoulders Plus $40 to $60? Is this price difference worth it for Diesel Aqua Hot, IFS, Graphics on Slideout? What am I missing. By the way we live in SW Florida and travel your way to Edmond,Ok. once per year to see daughter so do not need diesel Aqua Hot. Diesel Aqua Hot smokes and has more problems than propane.JMO
Plus the Anthem has a tiled shower so that if you are more than 6', you can shower without feeling claustrophobic. That was what tipped the scales for me. I guess that's why they make so many different motor homes, so you can get the coach that makes the most sense to you.
Also the key to a troublefree diesel aqua-hot is regular use. If you don't use it often, propane i'm sure would be more reliable.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

If you live in warm climates and are generally powered by shore power the propane versus diesel isn't a big deal. It is a step above your basic LP fired furnace and water heater setup. But for cool weeather camping it becomes much more valuable. When we camped with our 2004 Allegro Bus with dual LP furnaces and water heater we were generally on shore power, which covered the water heating well enough. But when fall camping in Yellowstone, that 32 gallon propane tank went down fast and we had to scramble to find LP so we kept it topped off as much as possible when travelling.

Fast forward to the 2007 Allegro Bus and we now have the diesel AquaHot (HydroHot actually). We can now camp in cool weather without worries of running out of fuel. Plus, the 150 gallon diesel tank over the 100 gallon tank would also make a strong argument for the Anthem over the Aspire - at least for us. Although, the only reason that I would order an Anthem with its 150 gal tank is because they don't offer a 200 gal tank.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #17

Diesel contains the same number of BTUs per gallon as home heating fuel: 138,690. Therefore, diesel also contains 34 percent more BTUs per gallon in comparison to propane. To accurately compare the value, you must factor in the difference in cost for one gallon of propane (which is typically much less) to a gallon of diesel fuel. For example, if diesel is $6.00 per gallon, and propane is $2.00, the difference in cost is quite substantial, and makes propane far more economical. Just a different way to get to the same place. With a standard propane tank being far smaller than a standard diesel tank, you just see the use faster with a propane system. The dollars and inconvenience tell the story.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #18

Nathans, in addition to the shower, fireplace, dishwasher, upgraded tile floor and Villa furniture, the all electric unit, more storage space in the basement and several other upgrades in the interior. Add to that the IFS with the larger capacity front axle, tired and wheels, then yes, for us the price difference was more than worth it. Thats why they make different models as folks have different likes and needs. Fir the record, there are no graphics on an Entegra, it is all full body paint, i know that is likely just semantics but wanted to make it clear. All just my opinion and what works for us.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Nathans, in addition to the shower, fireplace, dishwasher, upgraded tile floor and Villa furniture, the all electric unit, more storage space in the basement and several other upgrades in the interior. Add to that the IFS with the larger capacity front axle, tired and wheels, then yes, for us the price difference was more than worth it. Thats why they make different models as folks have different likes and needs. Fir the record, there are no graphics on an Entegra, it is all full body paint, i know that is likely just semantics but wanted to make it clear. All just my opinion and what works for us.

Gene,

Are all the toys in the new rig as good as or better than the old rig? I'll start with the Aqua Hot so we stay on the thread.

Ed
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #20

Ed, the Aqua Hot is basically the same unit, HOWEVER, it is not nearly as flexible to use with vastly fewer options than the old unit. This is because the unit is controlled by the AC controller. The Dometic AC systems has been replaced by what should be a much more durable and reliable Coleman system. The downside to this is that the Coleman management system is VERY limited. For example, you can not have the floor heat on to keep the floor toasty and run the fan on the AC to stir the air and push the warmer air gathered at the ceiling down toward the floor. We like to sleep with one ac fan on if we are in a noisy area and the coleman does not allow that, the fan on the AC in heat pump mode will ONLY run when the heat pump is actually running churning out heat so in that whole HVAC area this system, while likely much higher quality, has very few options and is very limited in what it can do (unless there is something I can not find, will be visiting with Entegra about this concern as I consider it a major flaw). Most of the other changes and upgrades are very good and I am working on a comparison that I will post soon on a new thread so that we do not hijack this one.
Gene
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Youell View Post
My 2012 Aspire is parked in the driveway and hooked up to a 30 amp box. I have had to use the furnace heat for the past few weeks while the night temps have been in the 20's. It seems I am using more propane than I should be using. I am using the furnace on zone 1 and 3 at night only and setting the temp on 55 just to keep the coach warm when the outside temp is below 32. This is my first Aqua Heat. My question, Can I use only the electric heat or do I need to use the propane?
We have a 2013 Aspire with the propane AquaHot. Their web site claims max fuel usage is .25 gallons per hour. I don't know if the electric is OK with only 30 amps. Using electric only, the system will cycle as the liquid is heated and then cooled and it may not keep up with the temp you ask for depending on ambient conditions.

Stew and Diane
2013 Aspire (IFS)
2011 Ford Flex
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
aza

I am very close to purchasing a new Integra. I was under the impression that electric only would heat the coach in sub freezing temperatures. In this not the case? Also I understood that basement only heat could avoid winterizing when plugged in at a very low daily cost?
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
The electric can be used at all times when you are plugged in. However, it only supplies a limited amount of heat. It will probably warm your coach when outside temps are in the mid 50's. Below that, the electric will still be contributing to the heat, but will need to be supplemented with propane or diesel to keep your coach warm. When you are boondocking and are not connected to electric, then the propane or diesel furnace must be used for any and all required heat.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

That is correct. The diesel burner puts out 50,000 BTU of heat energy. The LP burner in the Aspire is slightly less, either 40,000 or 45,000 BTU. But the electric element is basically a 10,000 BTU heat source. Once it gets to 40 degrees it won't do the job by itself any more.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
aza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
The electric can be used at all times when you are plugged in. However, it only supplies a limited amount of heat. It will probably warm your coach when outside temps are in the mid 50's. Below that, the electric will still be contributing to the heat, but will need to be supplemented with propane or diesel to keep your coach warm. When you are boondocking and are not connected to electric, then the propane or diesel furnace must be used for any and all required heat.
The Entegra has hot water heat oil/electric. Is the electric component in the Entegra less efficient than the heat mat type found with other manufactures? For instance I talked with Tiffin and they told me the the Allegro bus for 2014 has electric floor heat.
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra uses the Hydrohot system to heat the floor. The Hydrohot furnace can be powered with electricity, but there is limited heat available from this source and in cold temperature it must be supplemented with propane or diesel. The advantage to this system is that you can heat the floor when no electricity is available, as when boondocking.

Most of the other coaches use an electric heating element in the floor, which cannot heat the floor unless you have shore power or generator power available. They may (or may not) provide more heat when on electric, but they provide no heat without electricity. The Entegra can provide floor heat at all times.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Having been on the road in 40-60 temps for the last three weeks, I'd agree with the comment concerning electric heating the floor. Also, the aqua hot diesel heating the floor seems to make for toasty mid-coach tile, but, for me, not so much in the bedroom or the front of the coach. Also, even with diesel aqua hot heating, DW says the one bath units can be a little chilly as the heat doesn't seem to circulate there very well. I also noted what fells like a little draft coming into the bath around the area of the zone heating module on the wall (it was 27 degrees out with a light wind in Midland TX).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #28

I have just returned home from my 2 months of traveling in FL after my 12/28/12 retirement. I am making plans for my next outing which is in early May to Amish country PA and Washington DC. The night time temps in FL got down to 28 one night but most of the time was in the upper 30's and 40's. I spent the last 3 weeks in the panhandle of FL. I didn't use the propane furnace but just a few times (we like sleeping in the cold), but I did turn on the HP in the mornings to knock off the cold. When using the propane, zone 1 did not heat up much at all and there was very little air coming out from the front. It's on my list to have it looked at during my next factory stop. Zone 3 seemed to work fine on furnace and the area next to the kitchen sink worked OK. HP worked fine for all 3 zones, except for the loud noise. We had a problem with the washing machine control panel. A tech was sent out by A&E (I think) but he wouldn't pull the unit out (said it had to be pulled out by a dealership). He told me what he thought was wrong (he said carbon was building up on the spindle) and a new control board was needed. He ordered one and sent it to my next stop. I now have a new control board and will ask the factory to put it in on my next stop up there. The tech pulled out a screw driver and hit the control panel spindle with the hard end and it started working. Now all I have to do is tap the control panel when it doesn't work (tap it hard). Other than that, the two months were great (except I had to return home by car for a funeral). Looking forward to Michigan in AUG. hope to see you there. Oh by the way, I thought the floor heat for the tile was propane or diesel NOT electric.

Pops and Mimi Youell
2012 Aspire 42' DEQ
Pops Youell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane