Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2022, 11:49 AM   #1

Aqua Hot 400 LP

Problem with my 400 LP unit. Electric element works fine. When trying to use the gas burner if the unit is cold most of the time the burner will not light. You can hear the unit ignite but burns a few seconds and the off. It cycles thru this 3 times but will not stay lit. If the unit is already hot by using the electric element the gas burn lights easily when turned on and using hot water or the furnace.
Any ideas ?

2014 Entegra Aspire 44b
TravelSmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #2

I’ll be interested to hear what other suggestions come forth having an identical coach ourselves.

I do know if we have not used the burner for a long time or get the tank refilled, I can draw gas into the furnace by igniting one of the cooktop burners. Once that is accomplished, I can fire up the gas burner of the AH.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:41 PM   #3

Sounds like you could be having an aqua stat or thermostat issue with the unit. When was the last time you have it serviced? Did you ever get the 5 year service or just annual services?
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:56 PM   #4

I have a similar issue when the unit is cold, has not been used, and the propane has been turned off for storage. What seems to help, after turning on the propane, is igniting the gas cooktop. I feel this helps remove some air from the lines.

Also I replaced the exhaust tip with a stainless. When I did this I removed the original exhaust tip that covered part of the exhaust opening. This provided some back pressure for the exhaust. Until I come up with a better, more permanent solution, I use my gloved hand to cover a portion of the exhaust (1/4 to 1/2) until the unit fires. I know when it has fired because it gets hot quick. I only have to do this the first startup after having the propane off while in storage. After this it fires off every time.
2Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
Sounds like you could be having an aqua stat or thermostat issue with the unit. When was the last time you have it serviced? Did you ever get the 5 year service or just annual services?
Bobby,
The 400lp doesn't have any "service" required by Aquahot....no maintenance except for checking boiler fluid and level and a general overview of the unit...parts are replaced as needed but no service is performed. At least that's how it is on my 2015

John
2015 Aspire 44b
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 05:15 AM   #6

FYI. I also have the 400LP. I didn't mention that I had a failure in the igniter circuit. It kept blowing the 10amp fuse inside the Aquahot cabinet. You will know something is amiss because you still get the 3 attempts to fire but you do not hear it actually firing. I was able to still use the Aquahot with the electric element and the propane turned off.

Anyways, I replaced the original buck boost module and igniter. It works great now, but still has the issue of not firing and staying lit on those first cold starts. Just wanted you to know this in case you take it in for service and get a tech who is a parts changer. Didn't want you to pay for possibly unnecessary parts.

Hope this helps.
2Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:20 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
My propane unit behaves like 2Nailz if it has been sitting while - lighting the stove is something I always do to get the propane "moving" in the lines. My unit can take up to 6 to 8 times turning the propane switch off then on and let it go through the 3 cycles to try to start. Having the electric on and warm also seems to help the unit not take as many "re-starts" on the propane on/off switch. I too changed my old tip with a stainless and it does not have the "baffle" on the end - have not tried the glove method - will remember that one!
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #8

We had the exact same problem with our lp unit. Replaced both buck boards and worked fine since. When the temps get cooler I never shut it off. The lp ones are finicky and few techs will work on them,
blang311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:32 PM   #9

I also have the 400 LP. The only issue I have had so far, is a thermostat that needed replacement. There are no annual service needs, just replace parts as needed which should be rare. When I first read your issue, it made me think of the switch in the half bath called "LP REG HEATER". Not sure if your coach has that but from what I understand it is to be used when the temps drop to prevent your issue (I think). Click image for larger version

Name:	20221114_213206.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	380949
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #10

Geezer, Have you looked at Micro Air thermostats yet?
Well worth the money, imo.
Curious to what that switch does, I don’t have one on my ‘14 Aspire.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Geezer, Have you looked at Micro Air thermostats yet?
Well worth the money, imo.
Curious to what that switch does, I don’t have one on my ‘14 Aspire.
The LP regulator heater switch activates a heat strip located at the regulator itself....the purpose is to prevent the icing that occurs due to the pressure drop across the regulator
Thus solving the blockage of frozen propane in the supply line..

Hope this helps!
John
2015 44b
Old 11-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorse1 View Post
The LP regulator heater switch activates a heat strip located at the regulator itself....the purpose is to prevent the icing that occurs due to the pressure drop across the regulator
Thus solving the blockage of frozen propane in the supply line..

Hope this helps!
John
2015 44b
A quick websearch revealed I was totally wrong about the intended purpose....actually, the heater is to boost the temperature of the propane so as to keep the regulated pressure at a consistent level...the problem is that as the ambient temp drops so does the propane pressure so the result is a lack of propane getting to your Aquahot and range
The heat strip was to aid the problem of hard starts....if you're having multiple tries to get your system working and you have the installed heater ,I'd check to make sure the heater is working..
Old 11-15-2022, 06:16 PM   #13

Guess they added it some time after ours. [emoji120]🤞hopefully, we don’t have issues. The propane has its pluses.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:48 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I find that interesting that they put an extra heater on the propane. Our stick and bricks uses propane. There is no extra heater and I know it has worked at 25 below actual temperature, we won't discuss the wind chill factor.

I have used the coach Aquahot during the winter months if I do some inside maintenance and it has worked without issue.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua hot